Jambands.ca

How was the Mule?

dieseldoug

particulars:

harmonica guy for second to last song before shoeshine, and encore.

the encore was a rippin' Simple Man....VERY nice.

the show reminded me of what Warren Haynes would sound like if he had his own band, surprisingly enuff....

Sat and talked with this cool chick from Atlanta for most of the show,

much fun all around.

luckily shain got me in for free, which is always the best price! [big Grin]

My memory is a little hazy but here's what I remember...

Thorazine Shuffle opener, Rocking Horse in the first set was absolutely amazing. Slow Happy Boys in the first set, this was only the 9th time they've played this live.

Second set I'm still waiting to pop back in my head but I do remember Michael Farris from the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies jamming on Simple Man.

The place was pretty packed, and very very smokey. An amazing show nevertheless, I really want to head to Rochester tonight.

Govt Mule

Opera House , Toronto , ONT 02/12/03

Set I: Thorazine Shuffle, Fool's Moon, No Need To Suffer, Birth Of The Mule, Rocking Horse > Slow Happy Boys, Monkey Hill > She's So Heavy, Mule > What Is Hip > Mule

Set II: Drivin' Rain, Time To Confess, Bad Little Doggie > Lay Your Burden Down, Pygmy Twylyte > Ain't No Sunshine > Blind Man In The Dark > drumz > Devil Likes It Slow, 32-20 Blues*, Soulshine

Enc: Simple Man*

Notes: Last "Birth of the Mule" 9/23/99. * With Mike Farris on harmonica and vocals.

The show was absolutely amazing. The first set every song got better and better until I didn't think my mind or spirit would be able to absorb it anymore. Thankfully, just before spontaneous combustion, they took a set break. After spraying myself down with the nearest fire extinguisher and changing into my asbestos underwear, I settled in for the second set. There was a different energy about the second set: They settled in a just rocked away in a manner that I haven't had the pleasure to have witnessed in many years. Wow, what a show!

Who's got a lead on some soundboard .SHNs for this one? Please tell me they provide soundboard feeds. Please!?

I'm totally spent and couldn't add much to the whole account. The setlist is a blur to me and reading it doesn't help- Pygmy Twylyte? Ain't No Sunshine? I don't know where I was at points. The combo of mass beer and cold medication couldn't have helped. Got to chat with the band backstage and it was pretty chill but lots of puffing. First time I've seen a tour manager berating people for not being high enough! Got a few great shots particularly of Matt backstage, great shot of Warren puffing a J talking on his cell. Don't think he was too happy about the pic but it's priceless nonetheless. All in all I think I was into the broad skew of the crowd as much as the music. Nice mix of young and old, although a sausage fest on the whole.

What a great show, a huge turnout. It had been a while since I've been to a full-out rock concert, and I'm glad I made it to this one.

Personal highlight include Thorazine Shuffle, which was in my head just before the show started and so I was so stoked when they started playing it, and the Mule > What Is Hip > Mule to end the first set.

Part of me wishes that I had wandered around a bit more and connected with a few more people, but it was so packed and I had a good spot staked out with a great view, so I didn't want to move for fear of being stuck behind a big hairy guy other than Wi!!y [big Grin]

Peace, Mark

Personally I had a great time! Enjoyed the second set much more than the first, but maybe that's because I was on the balcony during the second set and the sound and view were better. Soulshine and She's so heavy, along with Simple Man were highlights for me, along with the Harmonica player and the big smile on Warren's face. Matt Abts also blew me away!

Super packed, super smokey and super hot, but a good time all around!

I am sold on the Mule. That was fantastic!

Mule > What Is Hip > Mule , jaw-dropping.........

"Cant talk, coming down."

Oh yeah, that bluegrass band, Crazy Strings?

HOLY SMOKES!

That was soooooooo much fun. They actually played bluegrass, not the crap those Ottawa Fug Sugs try to do [Wink]

Anyone else want to acknowledge the cheesieness factor of the Mule show?

Common, it was an awesome rockin' show, but I could have been watching Lynyrd Skynyrd at Magic Mountain in Moncton. I think there's a line between a band being aware of and receptive to their audience and a band 'delivering their goods' to their audience; 'delivering the goods' has a rock star arrogance to it that gags me a little. The Mule crosseed that line for me.

Not a constant finger down your throat, just a little poke in the ribs during an otherwise awesome night.

Archived