Jambands.ca

Nashville Live Music Recommendations.....

deranger

I'll be traveling to Nashville for the first time at the end of the month and I'm looking for some live music venue recommendations.....I've always wanted to go and I'm very excited about seeing as much music as I can in the evenings while I'm there. Unfortunately not on any weekend, but I'm up for any type of music.

suggestions?

thanks.

In Nashville there is only one thing you need to do. Go up and down the strip and have one beer in each music venue.

It's called honky-tonkin', and in Nashville this is 'the' way to see live music.

If you finish (and you likely won't), start over. Most places have three bands a night, so you'll hear different bands the second time around. You are guaranteed to hear some amazing players.

Check out Third Man Records.

The Belcourt Theatre (original home of the Opry) is a great little movie theatre that sells great beer if you're looking for a relaxing night. Similar to the Princess in Waterloo or the Mayfair in Ottawa.

I know a great and cheap place to stay if you're looking for accommodations.

If you're there on a Monday you MUST go to Third and Lindsley (that's the name of the bar, and also the corner it's on). It's not on Broadway but it's not a far cab ride. The band is called the Time Jumpers. Cover is 15 dollars. It's a Western Swing orchestra. Paul Franklin is the steel player (played with Dire Straits and generally deemed to be the world's top steel player). Vince Gill is one of the vocalists. YOU WILL THANK ME!

Otherwise, most of those joints on Broadway are fun for a bit but you'll find yourself growing wearing of the shitty New Country vibe. Make a point of going to Robert's Western World, where you're most likely to see something cool and old-school style. Right across the road is Ernest Tubb's records, you should check that out for sure. The Ryman is right around the corner and Gruhn's is right there too.

Also Bahamas is on the Calexico tour, so that show will be extra good, I'd probably check that out if I was in town.

Have fun, it's a great town! And be prepared to cab everywhere!

EDIT This is from a Time Jumpers gig I was at: http://youtu.be/dAHfcqzhag0

Edited by Guest

Just heard those gigs are sold out, hope you've got your tickets.

If anybody's interested in vintage Western clothes I believe I can point you in the right direction for that type of thing too...also the hockey arena is directly on the strip, last year I caught a Preds game for $20 - if that sort of thing interests you. Also if you're just looking for a place to drink, allow me to endorse the Gold Rush restaurant, right across from the Exit/In. And if you find yourself in the 12 South neighbourhood, you'll want to make sure to hit Burger Up, and make sure to stop in a Katy K's which will satisfy the aforementioned Vintage Western clothing craving.

Also here's another Time Jumpers vid that portrays a little more accurately what much of their set is about; that is, Western Swing.

Thanks everybody for the recommendations! - Rev I think you sold me on the Time Jumpers - and mostly because of Paul Franklin.

I'm going to try to hit the Exit/In and certainly the strip. I will probably pass on the Preds, though I would go for sure in any other situation, I only have 3 nights there (business during the day), so I'd rather spend them seeing music.