Jambands.ca

Post a pic thread.....anything that is coo!!!

Hux

quote:

Originally posted by Sunshine:

Those Northern Lights are the best photos!

you don't understand my passion for northern lights... magical!

Perfect thing to wake up to -- thanks for those pics.

Cheers~

I am the same way,ever since seeing em like that in Dawson City,Yukon,I have been awed by them,every night we sat outside awaiting the light show.

One more.....

-

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Sunshine:

Ladies... I think we are all as equally beautiful on the inside and out, so let's just stop this right now and end in a group hug??

[big Grin]

Mmmmmm, and then if we could get a picture of THAT, that would certainly qualify as the coolest picture here. [Razz]

In the meantime I suppose we'll have to continue to make due with these:

-the picture so nice, we posted it twice!

-lucky kitten! [Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

-

Beer Bottle Organ

Made by Peterson Tuners, yes, the sound is actually produced by blowing air over the tops of real beer bottles. The bottles are filled or "tuned" using mineral oil, so it will not evaporate or change tunings during weather changes. It can be played with the organ keys, or by a MIDI device.

-

Four necks. Two sound holes. 42 strings. Two access doors; one on the upper player's side and one at the tail block.

Created by luthier Linda Manzer for guitarist Pat Metheny, the instrument took 2 years to build (approximately 1000 hours), and when the 42 strings are strung up to high tension, the Pikasso is under approximately 1000 lbs pressure. It weighs 6.7 kg or 14 3/4 lbs.

The body is tapered so that the side closest to the player is thinner than the side that rests on the players knee, thus leaning the top back towards the player for a more aerial view. This is also more comfortable under the player's arm.

The instrument is outfitted with a complete state of the art piezo pickup system. (Designed and installed by Mark Herbert, Boston) This included a hexaphonic pickup on the 6 string section that allowed Metheny to access his Syclavier computer system thus triggering any sound including sampled sounds. Two mounting holes on the treble side (knee side) so that the guitar can be mounted on internal brass insets attaching to a stand, leaving hands free for playing or viewing.

One more.....

-

Nano Guitar

The world's smallest guitar is 10 micrometers long -- about the size of a single cell -- with six strings each about 50 nanometers, or 100 atoms, wide. Made by Cornell University researchers from crystalline silicon, it demonstrates a new technology for a new generation of electromechanical devices.

The guitar has six strings, each string about 50 nanometers wide, the width of about 100 atoms. If plucked -- by an atomic force microscope, for example -- the strings would resonate, but at inaudible frequencies. The entire structure is about 10 micrometers long, about the size of a single human blood cell.

A nanometer is one-billionth of a meter. For comparison, the diameter of a human hair is about 200 micrometers, or 200,000 nanometers -- positively huge compared to these newest structures, where the guitar string is about 50 to 100 nanometers in diameter.

Archived