Jambands.ca

Backyard Garden Tips?

Northern Wish

This question isn't gardening but I'm thinking that the folks looking in this thread might have an answer to my question. Sooo..it is the middle of the day and I just saw a huge fox run across our yard. It was running right towards me until I gave it a shout out, then it veered and hightailed it into the woods. Think we should be concerned that it might be rabid? Friendly says it is unusual to see one in the day like this. Hope not..it was a beautifull looking creature..size of one of those small black n white collie dogs..I think it's a collie I'm thinking of.

We were at Home Depot today and noticed some heirloom tomato plants in their garden centre. Bought 2 each of brandywine and rainbow blend.

That seed place looks awesome though... so many varieties! Is there a store front or just mail order?

Edited by Guest

I've seen plenty of foxes in the daylight too, unless you have other reasons to suspect rabies I wouldn't worry too much about that guy. Probably just took a wrong turn somewhere on his/her travels.

• 1 month later...

Wow...a work in progress for sure! Still missing some herbs, flowers, trellises and the fence is half way done but all in all...this gardening shit is the shiznitballz!!! Something..we think is slugs are eating our beans...word on the street is that we should put out cups of beer overnight...anyone else heard of this? I'd hate to waste good beer!

if you're doing the beer thing use a saucer.

I would suggest that you get a couple of ducks. They lay eggs that are - by all accounts I've heard - delicious. Ducks think that slugs are delicious.

And they're adorable animal cohabitants.

Just remember: If you don't eat eggs your neighbours probably do. They just might have a few extra brews for you now and then for it.

But for now...a saucerful of beer will attract slugs and you can drink the rest of the beer for good measure. No waste at all.

Don't waste good beer, use something like PBR.

Better yet, use diatomaceous earth or copper wire. The diatomaceous earth works by cutting the soft underbelly of the slug, thereby desiccating their bodies and they don't like to cross copper because they can feel an electrical current on their skin when they touch it. Plus, you can't get drunk on diatomaceous earth or copper wire.

Funny..Del has been popping into my brain here and there latey. Hope he is doing well.

I see this copper tape at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Corry-s-15-ft-Slug-and-Snail-Copper-Tape-715/100662157

Might just wrapp our entire gardens border with it. Why not? I wonder if it keeps out the good bugs though..hmmm...I'll google it later...

That's actually what we did in the backyard. It's a smaller space and we have beds raised with 2x6s. We ran a thin copper wire along the length and width of the bed and it has worked very well for the passed couple of years.

Keeping the brush and shady, moist areas around the garden to a minimum also helps. I don't think slugs are apt to travel long distances so keeping things short in the area works as well.

Also, I don't thing the copper will keep anything else out as it's the salty nature of slugs' skin that causes the current and I don't think there are many (any?) other garden allies that have the same type of exterior.

Cool stuff. Yeah..'now' it is obvious..the two shorter ends of our garden don't have a dirt path edging them. Then to boot I put some big, nice looking rocks on those edges...big nice slug palaces I understand now and yes..these are the areas getting slugged. Good news is this all seems fixable! :content:

Here is a link with 2 recipes for 'piss off aphids spray' I found...

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/spraysforaphids.htm

Edited by Guest