Jambands.ca

Pavement, Built To Spill,Guided By Voices....

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Pitchfork recently released their list of Top 100 albums of the 90's (in their opinion), and I was wondering about some bands that were ranked that I have heard of, but never listened to.

Who can tell me anything about the following bands:

- My Bloody Valentine (Highest finish: #2)

- Guided By Voices (Highest finish: #10)

- Pavement (Highest finish: #5)

- The Dismemberment Plan (Highest finish: #16)

- Built To Spill (Highest finish: #22)

yay pavement! they're also one of my favorite bands. they're the kind of music you can get hooked on when you're 16, and still really like when you're 25. i think wowee zowee is my favorite album of theirs (maybe just because it's fun to say!), but crooked rain is definitely what got me hooked.

stephen malkmus's first solo album is really good too, kind of the same sound as pavement but not really.

i really like my bloody valentine, but it's not for everyone. i've had friends ask me to turn it off because it hurts their ears. i guess it's kind of noisy, but good songs at the same time. it's cool to see that it's #2 on the list!

Guest Low Roller

"i guess it's kind of noisy, but good songs at the same time."

Sounds like my kind of band.

I missed Stephen Malkamus when he opened for Radiohead in Montreal, but I heard he was decent. Incidentally here is an amusing journal that a bandmate of Stephen's kept during the Radiohead tour.

guided by voice put on a great show when they played in london 2 years ago....christ....its been that lone already....my hairs gonna be fallin out before i know it....they're real noisy....but if you need ONE SONG to get you into them, download "Glad Girls".....at the show, i thought they were saying "hey hey black girls"...........i hope i dont offend anyone....

Pavement fucking rocks...My all time favourite band at this point. I don't know how to describe them...smart, irreverent lyrics wrapped in wicked guitar rock wrapping? It's awesome that so many people here love em also. I'm glad Bug loves Wowee Zowee too...could never understand why so many fans were so down on that album. "Black Out" may be the best 2 minute song of all time.

Oddly enough, I first heard about em through a Trey interview (that's right, Phish's Trey). He's a huge fan, and Phish actually did a cover of Gold Soundz (off Crooked Rain) one time. What's also odd is that I first heard of My Bloody Valentine through a Trey interview also...he's a huge fan of their lead guitarist Kevin Shields. I downloaded some of their stuff off Kazaa and liked some of the tunes I heard, but then my computer died so I'll have to get back on the horse (unless that's still slang for heroin).

Guest Low Roller

"8/30: Vancouver, BC- Easiest border crossing ever. For some reason we were just waived through, didn't even have to get out of the van. Our theory is that they must have thought we were delusional when we told them the reason for our trip was to open up for Radiohead, like we might as well have said we were the King of France and had just landed on our UFO."

I'll admit I laughed out loud to that journal entry. [big Grin]

mmmm pavement. awesome. them at lollapalooza 94 is still in the top 10 of all my concerts...

and big thumbs up to Malkmus 1st album....solid solid solid. New one is good, just haven't really sunk into it.

My Bloody Valentine. Hmm. couple so so albums and one fucking amazing one - Loveless....so far ahead of it's time it's unreal. Guitars layered and layered to the point of it being a moving mass, an actual terra firma layer of friggin sound.

never heard dismemberment plan, but the others are kicking.

Guided By Voices and their fans are the closest things in indie rock to the Grateful Dead. I wrote this article on them in 2001: Flamboyant Careers in Alcoholism

Dismemberment Plan were a great band. Recently defunct. I also wrote this on them in 2001, the interview actually took place on September 10th: What's in A Name?

I think a lot of people on here would love neutral milk hotel and my bloody valentine. I have never written anything on either of these bands, but MBV's Loveless is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. It is the trippiest more groundbreaking psychedelic record after the Dead's Anthem of The Sun must have been in 1968.

Exclaim! did a cool top 100 albums of the 90s in 200 as well 100 Albums that rocked 100 issues of Exclaim!

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

Beg Tungsten for his Pavement mixes. They so fine!

Tungsten,

I beg you for those Pavement mix CDs.

Sincerely,

Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by SPalmer:

Guided By Voices and their fans are the closest things in indie rock to the Grateful Dead. I wrote this article on them in 2001:

Dismemberment Plan were a great band. Recently defunct. I also wrote this on them in 2001, the interview actually took place on September 10th:

I think a lot of people on here would love neutral milk hotel and my bloody valentine. I have never written anything on either of these bands, but MBV's Loveless is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. It is the trippiest more groundbreaking psychedelic record after the Dead's Anthem of The Sun must have been in 1968.

Exclaim! did a cool top 100 albums of the 90s in 200 as well

Great Top 100! Nice to see some surprises there that didn't make the Top 100 list in Pitchfork such as Rancid (...And Out Come the Wolves, GREAT album), Amon Tobin, Sublime, and Ween.

The Guided By Voices article seems to be down though.

i think i could talk about pavement forever [smile]

i was also at the lollapalooza show, and i agree, it ROCKED! i remember there was a kid beside me writing out the setlist, and it made me so glad to see that there were other people out there crazy about them too!

when phish played gold soundz, it felt like two worlds colliding! i wasn't at that show, but i've got the recording, and it's great! i was at the toronto show the day before with my friend who is also a big pavement fan, and we had just read the article where trey talked about liking pavement. about halfway through the show, we were talking about how cool it would be if they covered a pavement song, and we decided NO JOKE that gold soundz would be the best one. i think trey got our telepathic message a day late though!

still great!

i made a "pavement mega-mix" a couple of years ago too, but it has since disappeared:(

Guest Low Roller

Right! The Lemon Jelly CD. I totally forgot. You caught me at my messiest at the moe show in Ottawa. Short term memory was a casualty when all systems were diverted to life support. Mmm... rye.... [smile]

I may be heading up to the GTA at some point in late December ot early January, so we'll keep in touch.

And for the love of kee-rist TG, get rid of that link in your sig... [Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

Hey LR - I'll make up a copy of the pavement mix...when would I see ya next?? hmmm I also forgot to give you that live Lemonjelly show at moe...

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

I may be heading up to the GTA at some point in late December ot early January, so we'll keep in touch.

Guys: I'll be in Toronto as of about Dec. 18, and be at the nero show at the El Mo on Dec. 19, so if Tungsten can come to the El Mo and give me the disc(s), I can bring 'em back to Ottawa and fling them Rollerward at Nero's Eve at Dekcuf?

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Guys: I'll be in Toronto as of about Dec. 18, and be at the nero show at the El Mo on Dec. 19, so if Tungsten can come to the El Mo and give me the disc(s), I can bring 'em back to Ottawa and fling them Rollerward at Nero's Eve at Dekcuf?

Yeah, that's a possible solution. I have to see when I'm going to TO though. I was thinking of going down on the week-end of the 20th, and seeing Nero on the 19th, might not be a bad idea. I'll keep y'all posted.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Here's a
that has Guided By Voices mp3s.

I downloaded a track called Total Exposure that was played live at the Fillmore in 2001. Using a sophisticated technique of evaluating new music developed by myself, my initial impressions lead me to believe that I need to listen to this band some more.

Download Hardcore UFOs. It is the first song off their best album, Bee Thousand. It rules.

Guest Low Roller

Here's a web page that has Guided By Voices mp3s.

I downloaded a track called Total Exposure that was played live at the Fillmore in 2001. Using a sophisticated technique of evaluating new music developed by myself, my initial impressions lead me to believe that I need to listen to this band some more.

Archived