Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folkfest noise complaints...

bouche

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/folk-festival-finale-gets-most-noise-complaints-yet

Sunday night’s headliner, the Mellotones, were anything but mellow, according to the 56 complaints filed against the Ottawa Folk Festival by angry citizens.

“Last night all of a sudden it was back on again. And it wasn’t just the bass sound. I could hear guitar riffs, I could hear everything,” said Bhagwant Sandhu, the president of the Dow’s Lake Residents Association.

If this guy listening to it, I think he should have to pay Folkfest for the right to hear the music, or get fined.

Ugh. Embarrassing. Further ammo for the "Ottawa is a sleepy government town" argument. I could hear most of this year's Bluesfest headliners with crystal clarity inside my house - which surprised me given that I don't love anywhere near the site - and my only complaint was that I wasn't there in person. If I could live with it for two weeks with three-month-old twins to take care of, then surely the killjoy wankers who griped about Folk Fest could have sucked it up for five days.

I hope they pay their by-law fine in pennies.

Sunday night’s headliner, the Mellotones, were anything but mellow, according to the 56 complaints filed against the Ottawa Folk Festival by angry citizens.

I just clued in that they listed the Mellotones as a headliner.  They were playing in the free zone of folkfest and they blazed like 4 free sets over the weekend.   So basically people were complaining about free live music.  They should be shamed.  Or that's just horrible fact checking by Robin the Reporter

• 3 weeks later...

http://thebaybridged.com/2014/10/01/mark-kozelek-war-drugs-showdown-fillmore/#.VDRWyPldWSo

Like any successful musician, Kozelek has been hitting the festival circuit, but he ran into some problems when The War on Drugs‘ sound was bleeding into his at the Ottawa Folk Festival. Can you guess how he reacted? According to Exclaim.ca:

Kozelek attempted to launch into the album’s confessional “Dogs” before noise from the main stage drew the singer into a couple of false starts, prompting him to address the crowd with, “Who the fuÇk is that?” When audience members jovially informed him that it was Philadelphia band the War on Drugs, Kozelek replied by saying, “I hate that beer commercial lead-guitar sh!t” before exclaiming, “This next song is called, ‘The War on Drugs Can Suck My fuÇking Dick.’”

It's a music festival, and that happens.  It's rare that an artist is so vocal about it though.  Most just do their gig and move on, all professional-like.   Not sure how War On Drugs are responsible for the hissy fit and certainly don't deserve the directed the anger at them.