Jambands.ca

Feeling screwed by Phish Dry Goods

DevO

Hi all,

So I put in an order for USD $95 worth of stuff from Phish Dry Goods. This was during the 7 Below sale with an advertised "free shipping" on orders over a certain threshold (I think it was $47 or so), and no fine print to indicate that the deal didn't apply to Canada. Got hit with a USD $28 shipping and handling fee anyways. Emailed them three times with no response, called them, and was told the deal only applied in the States.  They agreed that this was not stated in the fine print and so knocked off USD $10.  A minor victory.

My selected shipping method was International Standard.  The receipt said it would be shipped via UPS Mail Innovations International.  I get home from work yesterday to find a notice on the door that DHL had come by to drop it off, and there is an additional Duties & Taxes fee of CAD $39.30.  Called Phish Dry Goods today and they were adamant that this additional fee is to be expected and has nothing to do with them.

Just wondering if this is indeed the standard for Phish Dry Goods orders in Canada.  With shipping, handling, duties and taxes I'm paying over $60 on top of the price of the actual goods. Seems ridiculous!!! 

When you receive something by courier from the US to Canada, this type of customs brokerage (ie. bullshit!) fee can apply.  I have had it happen many times and it always sucks.  Phish is right that it doesn't have to do with them...it has to do with it being sent by courier.  If you order things sent by USPS (which is then delivered by Canada post) then usually this doesn't happen, or you might just have to pay a small amount of tax.  I have had to pay tax occasionally to Canada post but it is way less of a percentage than a courier charges.

If I am ordering something from the US I always ask them to send it by USPS not courier. 

At least you are getting your stuff - Dry Goods is terrible about sending stuff on time and sending the correct order.

I'm sorry  :(

But seriously though- that sucks.

I know a guy that gets American stuff shipped to Delaware to avoid taxes then gets them shipped separately from there (I guess he orders them separately) in the hopes that the duty people see them as a bunch of small items and lets some, most or all of them go as they are, individually small potatoes

I do realise that that doesn't help you at all but I guess my point is that people do go to some crazyish lengths in view of all these extra charges~

Phorbsie is correct... Dry Goods is terrible. I have had two horrible experiences in a row with them and the most recent they knocked off a whopping 4$ off my shipping for the inconvenience. I waited almost two months for my recent order that was to arrive within 8-24 business days. I have placed my last order with them unfortunately.

The thing is I selected the cheapest possible shipping method provided on the form (International Standard). USPS and Canada Post would have been just fine for me! 

On the bright side, the stuff just arrived. I won't be using Dry Goods again but I WILL be going home and listening to "What's The Use" on vinyl, on repeat 67 times - one time for each dollar paid for shipping, handling, duties and taxes.

PS: I think surely Phish outsources the Dry Goods operations to an outside agency no? 

I have ordered at least 4 times and it went well the first 3 times. The last order that came they wanted like $50 in Duty for 3 shirts so I told them to return to sender and contacted Dry Goods with a change of address to a place in Buffalo I can pick up at for $5 next time I am there. 

Unfortunately Dry Goods hasn't got the package back yet and its been at least 2 months. They offered a refund but I am willing to wait a bit longer for the shirts that are now out of stock.