Jambands.ca

Favourite spots in St. John's?

phorbesie

Looking for any skank recommendations if you have 'em!

i have never been there, and plan to stay a few nights and then spend 4 days checking out the Bonavista peninsula and Terra Nova NP.

Hotel selections outside of the city are limited so I thought I'd ask if anyone had been to the area and had a memory of a cool B&B, restaurant, etc.   Hoping to spend 2 nights in/near the park, and the other 2 nights somewhere along the way... Can go farther afield if there is something awesome but I am trying not to overstretch the time.

Recommendations for food, music etc. for the city are welcome too! 

Thanks!

Just missed their folk festival. Right within St. John's, hiking around The Battery is really quite beautiful and spectacular.  It really gives you a feel for why they call it The Rock.  A commanding coastline, wild blueberries, etc. George Street downtown is where all of the bars are and lots of live music. We were lucky as the last time we were there we went with friends who used to live there, so ended up at kitchen ceilidhs multiple nights. We stayed in a nice old house that was reasonably priced. I thought it was called New Found Landing or something like that but with a very quick google search I didn't see it. The Avalon Peninsula is also nice but heading in the opposite direction. Having said that a day trip from St. John's to La Manche park along the ocean is less than an hours drive each way. Really beautiful hiking in there as well, saw lots of moose, etc. Great seafood.

Can't go wrong I don't think!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the suggestions, folks! Went a little bit off my planned course but had an absolutely amazing time. We were blessed with perfect weather all week, yay!

Spent 5 nights in St. John's... 2 of the days were spent at Quidi Vidi hanging out with a fisherman friend of Velvet's (and then his friends, and eventually half the town). Another night we went to Topsail beach for a bonfire with some other new awesome friends. And a boat ride around Bell island showed us some fascinating scenery. Of course we also checked out the sights - Signal Hill, Cape Spear, George St., Terry Fox memorial, had some amazing seafood, etc.

We left town and drove around the NW part of Avalon peninsula looking for Velvet's ancestors, tromping through little seaside graveyards and towns. Spent a night in Dildo and then two in Port Rexton/Trinity/Bonavista area which was our favourite spot. Gorgeous hikes and a damn fine brewery there for the evenings. Can't wait to go back! I will post some pics once I get organized.

:)