Jambands.ca

Need some beats recommendations

AD

quote:

Originally posted by fluffhead77:

Bonobo(sp?) from brazil...wicked

Prefuse 73 from philly...electroclashfunkhop

Yeah, Prefuse 73 is wicked... Tiny tiny fragments of samples made into wicked tracks.

Prefuse 73 is a guy named Scott Herren and he's actually from Atlanta... His other stuff such as Savath&Savalas is good too, but not 'beats' persay...

I second the motion on Bonobo as well. He's excellent.

AD

hmmm I have 3 relatively new mixes that may fill the void...

Shades of Shadows

-------------------------------------

Roni Size - Heroes (Kruder & Dorfmeister remix)

Blue States - The Trainer Shuffle

Dhizan & Kamien - Slowhand Hussein

Tosca - Ocean Beat

Zero 7 - Give It Away

Blue States - Golden Touch

Sofa Surfers - Sofa Rockers (K & D remix)

Tosca - Doris Dub

David Holmes - Rodney Yates

The Herbaliser - The Sensual Woman

Fila Brazillia - XII

DJ Shadow - Fixed Income

Fila Brazillia - Slow Light

David Holmes - Slashers Revenge

Mr. Scruff - So Long

Zero 7 - Red Dust

Nuns & Pirates

-------------------------

tosca - boss on the boat

Zero7 - Salt Water Sound

Fila Brazilia - Slow Light

Tosca - Orozco

Propellerheads - Velvet Pants

Red Snapper - Bussing

Rhinocerese - I Love Ma Guitare

Lemon Jelly - A Tune for Jack

Thievery Corporation - Resolution

Mitges - Sneaking Around

Tosca - Annanas

Herbaliser Band - Shattered Soul

Blue States - Diamente

Lemon Jelly - The Staunton Lick

4 Hero - Conceptions

Hinge Pin

--------------------

Lemonjelly - Spacewalk

Blue States - Stereo 99

Dr. Didg - Arrythmia

Amon Tobin - Hey Blondie

Lemonjelly - Elements

Fila Brazillia - Snakeskin Bib

Sly & Robbie/Howie B - Fatigue Chic

Amon Tobin - Chocolate Lovely

Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather for Ducks

Orb - Secrets

Amon Tobin - 4 Ton Mantis

DJ Shadow - Giving Up the Ghost

Zero 7 - Polaris(edit)

Lemon Jelly - Ramblin' Man

Fila Brazillia - Spores(edit)

...also Mr. King - S. Taylor has been trying to get ahold of ya for awhile....

here is a few more AD missed.

Coldcut - 'let us play' is one of my favorite.

Cut Chemist - 'dj shadow vs. cut chemist'

blackalicious - good hip hop, download the alphabet song.. wowza good rhyming.

dj food - a whole bunch of beat cd's worth the listen.

forgot about Red Snapper but tungsten has him up there.

Well, I picked this up recently and was really impressed:

-

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Call it an aggregation of some of the best contemporary percussionists: Trilok Gurtu, Zakir Hussain, and Asian Underground star Talvin Singh combine under the sonic washes of producer Bill Laswell to show the possibilities of Indian percussion. It's definitely a beatfest, but one of subtlety, where what is being said isn't as important as the way it's being stated, and the dialogue between hands includes a lot of silences. Gurtu comes from a more jazz tradition, Hussein a classical background, and Singh represents the brash young things of the dance floor. Mostly Laswell leaves it to them to provide the sonic entertainment, which is as it should be with delicate swathes of sound barely intruding, just coloring the proceedings. While it's not for everyone, those who love Indian percussion in all its forms will find this album a complete joy. --Chris Nickson

Nightmares on Wax

Stereo MCs

Jazzanova

Mr. Scruff

Up, Bustle & Out (light 'em up, blow 'em out) best album.

Mark Farina has some great mixes (mushroom jazz series)

De La Soul!!!

Common or Outkast for some crazy new hiphop.

Rae & Christian

Antibalas

and so many more good artists listed above... tosca, lemonjelly, thievery corp., fila brazillia, luke vibert (wagon christ), amon tobin, roots manuva, roni size...

...if you like slippery minimal rubber beats, go see j.hunsberger at the starlight room in waterloo thursday night... last local appearance by this superstar!! (this year) plug one for jay!

Just appealing to some of your beat minded individuals for some new grooves. I've been really disappointed in some of my foray's into the genre lately (keeping in mind the high-water mark for me is DJ Shadow's Endtroducing) But checking out the new Basement Jaxx, new Herbalizer and even the new New Deal have left me longing for something more....fulfiling. Any suggestions?

well The Streets in my opinion is the best thing to happen to electronic music in a while...check that: Original pirate material.

check out angusrobinson.ca...he a friend of mine, a DJ in toronto... one of the best Breaks DJ's in the city IMO and all of his mixed cd's that he's produced in the last 3 years are available for download...I recommend his first "big shiny Breaks" an oldie but a goody...

Anything on the Ninja Tune label is solid gold...visit their website...you won't be dissapointed...(cinematic orchestra, luke Vibert, up, bustle and out, coldcut!!!)

If you're looking for Drum and Bass, I'd recomend High Contrast, Calibre, Andy C and Roni Size(~his Reprazent album is brilliant)

House Music: Steve Lawler has a new double disc out right now that is aparrently tha bidness...

Granted none of these are brand spanking new but all great choices to check if you haven't heard them...

cheers,

Brian

Scottie! Hope to see you over the holidays..

Here's my picks

Amon Tobin

DJ Vadim

DJ Babu

Herbaliser

Cinematic Orchestra

Roots Manuva

RJD2

Talib Kweli has wicked beats...

Ugly Duckling

Anything by Del the Funky Homosapien (Deltron 3030 being my pick... Also check out Dan the Automator)

Hope these aren't too hip-hop for ya... There's lots I'm forgetting... I'm sure someone here will fill in the blanks...

AD

I met and spoke with Mark Farina this yeat at Evolve. Solid dude. We spoke about his earliest influences and his first response was, "Rush!" I must have looked a little puzzled so he went on to explain, "Oh man, I'm a huge Geddy Lee fan!"

Would ya have figured that one?

He was a seriously nice guy and that caught me off guard. I was expecting some attitude.

Archived