Jambands.ca

PowerPoint makes you dumb

arcane

One of the people mentioned in the article, Edward Tufte, wrote a book called The Visual Display Of Quantitative Information, which was mentioned in relation to another NASA disaster, the Challenger explosion of 1986 (a review of the book, discussion its relation to NASA/Challenger, is here. Then, NASA used graphs like

-

when they could have used something like

-

to see that launching on the day in question was a hideously bad idea.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

One of the people mentioned in the article,
, wrote a book called

... which the Mercenary gave to me for my birthday. What made this gift especially nice was that I had only made an off-handed comment about wanting this book, and I did it several months before my birthday, yet he A. Listened, and B. Remembered.

(Oh, yeah, and he cooks, too. He's not gay, and I have unmarried sisters, so I'm marking him as my territory damned fast.)

this being my ninth year with a university student card...i got to say...powerpoint is great for making shabby presentations with little effort put into them, appear not half bad. It just happens to suck, for people to learn from. How good is it when someone stands up with a blank overhead and paper and pen...so much easier to follow and gain knowledge from.

Archived