Jambands.ca

Art on acid

weezy

What I found interesting was how, as the LSD took effect, the drawings started to look more and more like those of, say, Picasso.

For an interesting take on this, read the introduction to Harlan Ellison's book, "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream"; it's by Theodore Sturgeon, who tried LSD, and he notes that some of the things in Ellison's stories (e.g., a scene from "Delusion For A Dragonslayer", in which a large ship crashes but without any sound whatsoever) are just like experiences while tripping.

The thing is, Ellison has never done hallucinogens. Sturgeon says that apparently there is a brain chemical similar to psyillocybin, and since, like most brain chemicals, the amounts vary from person to person, those with higher levels of it are able to create art that has elements of trippy experiences. Sturgeon brings up the names of a poet or two; I'd add Picasso, especially after viewing those drawings.

Aloha,

Brad

I have this book called 'Observations from LSD research' that's full of that kind of stuff. I think the weirdest thing I remember from it is how people would produce alot of archetypal drawings (mayan aztec looking figures, hindu looking things) even if they had no experience of the particular culture. Also people drew like fetus' dangling from a long cord over a ravenous pit of monsters (been there). It was strange how people would also sit in certain postures and use hand gestures (sutras) that they had no background in because they had somehow regressed the knowledge in a Jungian collective unconscious sort of way.

Archived