Jambands.ca

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Movie

Stapes

Galaxy Quest For Nighy And Freeman

by Nev Peirce

Love Actually star Bill Nighy and Martin Freeman (Tim from The Office) are set to topline sci-fi comedy The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Talking exclusively to BBCi FILMS, Nighy says he's been cast as alien planet designer Slartibartfast in the long-gestating adaptation of Douglas Adams' novel. Freeman will play Arthur Dent, the everyday Earthling thrust into an interplanetary adventure.

"I'm a big fan of the book and the people who are making it are very cool people and I think they're going to do a good job," says Nighy. "It's a really good script. It's really, really faithful [to the book]. All the jokes are there and they're big fat jokes. It's wonderful. And with all the technology we have now, it can not only be a big satisfying comedy but I figure it could be quite exciting as well."

Nighy also states that a director isn't set yet, although hotshot music vid team Hammer & Tongs (aka writer-director Garth Jennings and producer Nick Goldsmith) were on board last High Noon heard. Fingers crossed, it sounds like this could finally liftoff.

BBC films

I hope they dont make it. The book is too cool to be ripped off. Like LOTR. Fuckman. I cant belive what they did to that. Take the greatest book, turn it into an outline for a story and ripe the dialoge right the fuck out. How many quotes in LOTR are there from the book that are more then 3 sentences long? what a distruction of bueatifull intent!. As for Hichhikers Guide, I feel that it cant be done on film and come of feeling the same way. And it belongs in a diff relm then the mainstream. Like LOTR did.

*** 42 ***

i'm excited for this, either they'll do a good job & it'll turn out great or they'll do a terrible job & it will still be funny... even in all its awfulness. it'd be hard to make it suck completely i mean, with a piece of work like that to start with? hell, look at the bbc series & all its "dr. who" effects... it was still funny even though the robot costumes looked like they were made of tin foil. [smile]

I just started reading the trilogy (in 5 parts) for the second time. It was a sad day when I learned that Douglas Adams had passed away. He's one of the most gifted comedic writers I've ever had the pleasure to read.

As for a movie, I'll go see it. This story has lent itself successfully to radio, television and book form, and I think it will work on the big screen.

Archived