Jambands.ca

Ottawa Crew!

Gateaux

C'mon now, Mr. Paragus, you must admit that there is a diffence between standing outside in -15 temperature on a windless night and standing outside in -15 temperature with a 60km/h wind. One is colder than another and there oughtta be an index that gives you a clue.

Velvet you're wrong and the asparagus is right. If you are outside and it's -20 with no wind, it takes a certain amount of time for your body to cool down. If it's -20 with lots of wind, it will take less time for your body to get cold. This means it feels like it's colder outside but it still is -20. If the wind was colder than the air it would make all the air colder and the thermometers would read the same in or out of the wind.

alright - school's comin in handy [Eek!] - velvet you're right:

your skin contains moisture - the moisture is evaporated by the cold air 'cause the air is so dry. but to change states (liquid on your skin to vapour in the air) it takes the latent heat of vapourisation (2260J/g) energy from your body (sensible heat) ---> that is, you're losing 2260 Joules of energy (that you feel as heat) for every g of water evaporated out of your skin.

the wind comes into this by transferring the moist air (once the evaporation has occurred) away from the skin so the air at the skin is dry and draws out more moisture.

in calm conditions the air around your skin doesn't move much... notice the difference when you shave your head, or anything else - cause the hair creates more roughness and restricts air movement even more.

i think a thick cloud of smoke helps retain heat too [Wink]

have fun sleddin [big Grin]

Suck it up assholes.

What was the wind chill inside 2660 Norberry tonight?

Zero

Know why?

There was no wind.

Velvet's right!

Aint no meteorologist is going to tell me he is wrong.

The only 'blowing' in here was drunken bullshit, and he wasnt even here. Think about it.........

Bro....sorry I didn't make it....ended up watching that new Marley DVD with Rick and well, things got a little boozy...I tried to call you late-night but I was so drunk I couldn't remember your number...yeeeshh...sorry chief, we'll make up for it tonight.

I wasn't trying to say, and I don't think I said, that the wind doesn't make you feel colder. I was simply explaining that even if they say the windchill is -37 but the temperature is -20, then the temperature (A measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a sample of matter, expressed in terms of units or degrees designated on a standard scale) is one or the other, not both. And the actual temperature would be -20 in this case, not -37. If the windchill was only -25 and the temperature was -20, it is still -20 outside. Windchill is a measure to tell us how cold it feels outside, because as everyone knows it FEELS colder outside when it's windy.

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

C'mon now, Mr. Paragus, you must admit that there is a diffence between standing outside in -15 temperature on a windless night and standing outside in -15 temperature with a 60km/h wind. One is colder than another and there oughtta be an index that gives you a clue.

I agree, there is a difference between -15°C on a windless night and -15°C on a windy night. The windy night feels much more like -15°C than the windless night as the clothing your wearing is much less effective at making you feel like it is warmer. We have an index. The temperature. What people need to understand is that -15°C or -20°C is very cold and enough to do serious damage to any being outside for too long under-protected. Listing the temperature, along with the wind speed would be much more effective then making up some number like -42°C, in my opinion. We should try to educate people, instead of trying to scare them.

If the temperature is -15°C, you should bring enough clothing to keep you warm, wind or not.

The wind doesn't make you colder, it makes you cold faster.

quote:

Originally posted by Asparagus:

We should try to educate people, instead of trying to scare them.

Are you really prepared for me to attempt to explain it? How much calculus do you understand?

(Not that I really want to explain it--I spent far too long marking heat transfer assignments in university.)

Archived