Jambands.ca

the two canadian solitudes

zeke

Just curious if anyone around here ever talks about the Quebec music scene and more particularly the french music scene?

Seems to me that this situation is exactly what the separatists claim exists in this country; no interest whatsoever in rapproching the two linguistic community (apart from being nauseous from Celine!).

I find it even more depressing that most other anglos who've also come to Montreal to study have no interest in it as well.

I like BNB, Fat Cats, Nero, etc as much as the next head but seems like its similar to the american tourist who goes to Italy and eats only a McD's.

Ill see the McGill heads crowd at the same gigs but ask them their favorite french group and all you get is a puzzled look.

Most of the jamming Ive heard so far have come from the world beat sounds which my roomies are into.

There is this one group called Dobacaracol which does this djembe heavy stuff and the amazing keybaord player used to play in a french Phish cover band!

Kaliroots is Canada's best reggae band, hands down. The fact that they are white and sing some songs in french may throw you off (i wasnt too enthused to see them at first) but their 12 minute version of a marley classic which segued flawlessly in their own original comp convinced me right from the start.

The one's which I think will travel even better 'chez les maudits anglais' is The Chango Family which like most bands we love, is hard to describe! They're a 10-12 piece road tested band that do this gypsy-reggae-latino-ska-funk which they sing in french,spanish,english,african dialects (often in the same song) and dont play any songs under 8 minutes and when the sound guy does his dub then Ive seen jams stretch on forever (the 25minute Paramatman from a jazz festival is an epic). If I was politically correct, Id say that the french, african, indian, belgian, haitian, latino makeup of this band (its almost like a Canada day commercial!) is one of the reasons why i like them but the fact is, they have the most gorgeous girls come at their concerts ;-)

Anyways, I hope this site tries to open their (canadian) cultural horizon a little bit (or any bit for that matter) and help disprove the separatists who claim that we live in two distinct countries which have really nothing in common. If the hassidic-like heads I see at university are any indication, the separatists arent that wrong.

zeke

You're 100% right Zeke... I'm in Ottawa and the only French band I know about and will go see is Les Cowboys Fringants, as well as Jean Leloup... I know there's way more stuff out there under the surface but don't really know where to find it...

Maybe you should write an article for the site to let us all in on what's happening in la belle provence...

I'd read it for sure!

AD

I saw a little island style flavour done by a mostly Haitian hip-hop, dub group when I was there last year. Don't remember the name, but some of the best vocal talent I've seen in a long time. [Eek!][big Grin]

I'd love to hear more, language barrier be damned, but unfortunately there just isn't much access to the stuff. [Frown]

After living in Montreal for six years I found an abundance of great french musicians, but very few are in bands that jam per se. There are many great jazz players who play at places like L'escogriffe and do amazing tribute shows (I saw a Herbie tribute that rocked my ass). There are a good many french folk bands. Also, for some of the best in Franco Rock, be sure to check out Cafe Centrale (it might be called Centrale Ganesh -- one is the old name the other the new name) on Wednesdays for Franco night. This place has one of Montreals three Jager taps and the atmosphere cannot be beat. Be prepared to speak what little french you know.

But in the end, the French scene in Montreal is very much oriented towards the French population. Montreal is a very split city and it is takes some effort to discover what is out there. I suggest learning some French, getting past St Denis and seeing what you find. And if you like punk, metal or folk, you will be in luck.

Certainly there are lots of good Quebec based musicians and bands. Jazz may be the great musical export from Quebec: Oscar Peterson, Oliver Jones and Uzeb. Montreal is responsible in helping keep jazz and blues alive too ( or at least in North American consiousness for a few weeks during the MTL Jazz Festival ). Also, my mother used to play lots of classical Andre Gagnon albums when I was growing up in the 70's. Good stuff!

In the jam " vein ", I've seen Bullfrog 'live' and they have potential. Godspeed You Black Emperor! are an interesting band on the rise. I guess my main problem is that I don't know the Montreal scene very well.

However, I personally can't get into music sung in a different languages other than English, although Spanish doesn't bother me too much. I listen to Swedish punk and rock bands such as The International Noise Conspiracy, The Refused and The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, but they all sing in English. So Rene Simard, Mitsou, Niagra, Robert Charlebois etc.. have never been part of my record collection.

I work for MuchMusic and watch French Kiss ( and the international video program ClipTrip ) every shift, but virtually no Francophone bands catch my attention. I've watched some good videos with interesting Quebecois bands, but I've never wanted to go out and buy a Francophone artist. There's too many new and exciting Anglophone bands out there that I've still got to check out.

Of course, I'm open to any type of music so I will check out the bands you have already mentioned. I grew up in Kingston and watched tons of MusicPlus. Claude Rajotte is the best VJ in Canada; probably the best VJ Canada has ever produced.

Thanks for the post.

Zeke,

Hmmm,quite a few statements being made in your post about folks attitudes towards race/culture I would say.

quote:

Originally posted by zeke:

Kaliroots is Canada's best reggae band, hands down. The fact that they are white and sing some songs in french may throw you off.

First I have read many a post over the years about Kaliroots,I even made a post or two on the other site with links to their site about them,yeah they are a great reggae band without a doubt,as for best...I have to disagree,I would go with "The Resinators",then again I am not about to travel 6 hours plus to Montreal to see reggae music when it takes 45 minutes to get to Toronto or I can stay here in Hamilton.

Not quite sure why the color of their skin has anything to do with it [Confused]

How often do they bring their music to Ontario?

Not often,(at least to this part of Ontario),in fact I know people in Toronto who asked them about playing there while at a show in Montreal,they didnt want to.(So I am told)

Seems if you are not willing to expand your touring grounds the less folks will hear of you,hence the less talk about them,I am sure if they were willing or did tour further from french speaking cities,more folks here would probally be talking about them,but thats my opinion.

quote:

Anyways, I hope this site tries to open their (canadian) cultural horizon a little bit (or any bit for that matter)

zeke

Well there is more to Canadian music culture then just the whole French/English lanuage thing.

One example: I have posted many times about Jerry Alfred.(1st nations folk artist,look him up),just one of MANY Indegious Canadian musicians my household listens to,Susan Aglukark being another (Inuktituk/English).

Anyway,welcome to Jambands.ca,there is no offence meant by my comments,but I myself do listen to alot of music made in Canada,especially music from our 1st nations brothers and sisters.

ps.There is more then two distinct cultures/languages in Canada also my friend

Although, I myself, have never heard of any of these bands you speak of, from what you say, I would love to hear and see them, maybe that is some of the problem, promotion, these bands need to tour the country, or at least make it known that they are touring if they do.

I'd also love to go see this;

quote:

they have the most gorgeous girls come at their concerts ;-)

[Eek!][Wink]

Hi Zeke,

I really enjoyed reading your post. I am often overwhelmed by the vast amount of music out there. It seems there isn't enough time to catch the shows of bands that I love; to see all the bands that are recommended by friends and to check out the bands that email jambands.ca and let the readers know of their existence. There's not always enough time to read every music magazine, search other websites, and do all the research necessary to find those hidden gems.

The truth is that I love music and will go see what floats my boat and what I hear is good by word of mouth. If those french bands you speak of, or any other band for that matter, doesn't make itself known, I'm not going to hunt it down. Too many other bands put their material and show listings right in my face and make it easy for me to check them out. I'm also not going to drive to Montreal for just any show, let them come to me and hook me as a fan, then I'll drive to go see them.

Perhaps what the Montreal scene needs for jambands.ca readers (which is specifically what you were talking about right?) is a correspondant. Someone in Montreal who let's us non-residents know what's happening there. Plus, if bands and their promoters only contact Montreal press, then only Montreal is going to know about them right? I'd gladly post about a good French band if they'd only ask. [smile]

Hey Zeke..

I was was reading you blurb about the french music...and I was just saying the same thing to my girlfriend the other day...After i found my slef gaped out watching T.V flicking the channels and every time i stoped flicking cause something caught my ear that sounded good enough to satop flicking the channels..It was French and it was usually some dude playing the guitar and Jamm'in!...I wanna check out the montreal Jazz Festival I think that would be a blast!..Haha i was never a good french student..and i was quite rebelous against it..But now i wish i wasn't Cuz..not only is there funky french Tunes If seen some pretty Funny french movies...That i wish i new what they were saying...OH and Ya that night that i was flicking around the "Channels" We watched the last 45 minutes Of that Movie Moulan Rouge..IN French..lol was pretty wild...ANY how I will let yas go...

PS. for give any spelling mistakes and grammer..

O O

o

\_/

I will travel to Montreal for any old band!! [big Grin] I mean shit, I went to Ottawa for the Raw Deal!!!

[Razz]

I just don't hear about anything, so I have to agree with most of the responses that these Frenchy's [Wink] don't advertise or don't want ot be advertised?!?!?!?!?!? I am French-Canadian but I still don't always feel welcomed in a francophone setting because often I'm made to feel not welcome. It's a drag, but sometimes it feels like the French don't want us to mix ourselves up in "their" culture. [Frown]

Disclaimer...

Not a generalization, a personal opinion. [Razz]

(As if you can't be attacked here for having one of those [Roll Eyes] )

Archived