Jambands.ca

is it wrong that i love emoticons?

irie.

You gotta use them for sure irie. I actually have a beef with people who don't use them. It's hard to tell if someone is joking or is really pissed when all you have to go on is their choice of words, spelling and grammer. Stay on this board long enough and you'll see all sorts of arguments start just because someone didn't put a wink beside their post. Seriously.

[big Grin]

No they're wrong. I hate them and have never used them. How can you take any conversation seriously with winky winky, frowntown browntown happy faces staring at you. On the other hand I do like when people are ripping into me and put the little winking guy in to let me know they're not totally serious.

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

How can you take any conversation seriously with winky winky, frowntown browntown happy faces staring at you.

That's an interesting question, but to turn it around, since people do things like frown, smile, wink and make hand gestures in face-to-face conversations, how is it you manage to take those seriously?

Smilies are a partial compensation for the fact that words alone cannot convey the range of emotion we're used to in traditional modes of communication, particularly when you're essentially trying to carry on a conversation rather than a monologue (i.e. the difference between essay writing, where you're responsible for defining the voice completely vs. responding to the thoughts of others, which is essentially becomes a collaborative exercise including the implicit negotiation of norms.) They are perhaps not the most sophisticated way of doing it, but they are a step in the evolutionary path of human communication. Perhaps as we become more adept at this kind of communication, smilies will fall away naturally.

(BTW part of my masters work was the study of Internet communication in education, thus my obvious geekiness on the topic.)

In the meantime, lighten up kung ya bastard! -

- M.

Archived