Jambands.ca

CityTV outtakes

paisley

I've always wondered what broadcast school would be like.

Is there a course dedicated to the "broadcast voice"? I would LOVE to sit in on day one of that course listening to the teacher explain how you will be taught that on-air voice.

I love listening to old broadcasts from the 30's. That's probably my favorite era of the broadcast voice.

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

I've always wondered what broadcast school would be like.

Is there a course dedicated to the "broadcast voice"? I would LOVE to sit in on day one of that course listening to the teacher explain how you will be taught that on-air voice.

I love listening to old broadcasts from the 30's. That's probably my favorite era of the broadcast voice.

Yes Mike, there are voice courses. I'm not sure that they teach them at a " real " school; voice courses were not part of my broadcasting curriculum at Ryerson.

Occasionally you'll see voice ads in broadcasting or weekly arts papers.

I think that the 30's to the early 60's was the " golden age " of voice broadcsters. The reason: television was NOT THE KING when it came down to serious news broadcasting.

just people goofing off at work, swearing and making sexual/racial slurs (and stealing gran marnier)

some of it pretty funny, some of it made you raise an eyebrow a little

(you actually e-mailed CityTV c-hippie? wow)

CityTV has always had a bunch of drunks and partiers working there, I figured thats what makes them looser than most stations... I partied hard with a few of the girls off The 20 Minute Workout a few times years back... they weren't choir girls but they were good people (though I'm sure their mom's wouldn't want to see some points of those parties)

beats CTV [Wink]

trust me, i think many people would be shocked/amazed/distgusted etc...to hear what comes out of the mouths of broadcasters before and after the mics/cameras are turned off.

that's rule numero uno...never say/do anything stupid/offensive etc when there is a mic or a camera in the room...whether you think its live or not. many people learn this lesson the hard way...like Gord has...or hasn't i really don't know.

btw, david, i'll be sending off a resume and cover letter tommorow...thanks bro [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Yes Mike, there are voice courses. I'm not sure that they teach them at a " real " school; voice courses were not part of my broadcasting curriculum at Ryerson.

Although remember Jaimoe, when we were there (Jaimoe and I were in the same class at Ryerson FYI) there was 1st year "Personal Presentation". This was a course with none other than Tiny Talent Time's Bill Lawrence as the teacher! We'd do news readings, mock radio commentary etc. and Bill would critique it. Not a voice class per say but more about the whole "style" of delivery in radio, and to some extent TV. Kind of a fun course IMHO anyway, Bill was a bit of an odd fellow but a good teacher. Unfortunately they trashed this course when Bill retired a few years ago.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Archived