Jambands.ca

just retrieving some good memories...

ggrtrhhrtgg

just received the very first String Cheese Incident show I attended... (which outside of the dead, are my favourite band) Darien Lake-- Buffalo, 2002..(one of my favourite venues) anyways, they do a sick version of the Joker... and that night, I thought they had the lights on the big ferris wheel were syncronized to the music, and I thought for a moment, that a mile high cable car was going over head...(lsd + shrooms) anyhow, after a balloon or two in the parking lot, I saw the "ring of fire" and thought my head was going to explode... so I had to tone it down a bit... brilliant night!!!! I hope they pull that one out of the hat at some future show I attend.. I will be laughing my fuckin head off!!!haha

Ahh memories... For me it was all about that sick Rivertrance > Galactic > Rivertrance... [Eek!]

String Cheese Incident

Darien Lake, Darien NY

7-16-2002

Source: Schoeps cmc6/mk4 > Lunatec V2 > Apogee AD1000 > D8

Taped from the front/center of the lawn section (on the rail)

Taped by Gary Pudvan, patched/mastered by Pete Popivchak via:

Sony PCM-M1 > Audiophile 24/96 > Soundforge 5.0 > CD WAV > SHN

Disc 1 (Set 1)

----------------------------------------------

1. Banter, Outside Inside > 11:44

2. I Know You Rider 8:56

3. Got What He Wanted 14:58

4. Water 10:45

5. Up the Canyon 4:57

6. Lonesome Fiddle Blues 12:21

7. Crosstown Traffic 4:37

Total: 68:18 (1.08:18)

Disc 2 (SET 2)

-----------------------------------------------

1. Rivertrance > 6:24

2. Glactic > 10:41

3. Rivertrance 10:49

4. The Joker 7:45

Total: 35:39

Disc 3 (Set 2 CONT)

-----------------------------------------------

1. Nine Pound Hammer 8:57

2. It Is What It Is 16:46

3. Texas 18:16

4. E: Search 12:48

Total: 56:47

Probably my favourite SCI show so far has been at 7/18/01. Awesome stuff, most of the show with Leftover Salmon guys and Keller. The night before was GRATE too with Del McCoury and the boys. Best venue I've seen 'em at is the Lahaina Civic Centre Outdoor Stage in Maui (2/16-17/02) Big Pacific Ocean sunsets before the shows from the Lot(it doesn't get much better)

7/18/2001 Rockingham Field - Rockingham, NC (Wed.)

Set 1: Rollover, Dirk*, MLT¹ > Drums¹ > MLT¹, On the Road, God Bless the Child², Midnight Moonlight², Lonesome Fiddle Blues³, Zombie Jamboree^

Set 2: Howard > Jam > Rhum 'n' Zouc, Let it Go**, Hold What You've Got, Rivertrance***, Restless Wind

Encore: Best Feeling^^, Sittin' on Top of the World^^^

Guests: ¹ with Jose Martinez on percussion

² with Drew Emmitt on mandolin and Mark Vann on banjo

³ with Drew Emmitt on mandolin, Mark Vann on banjo, and Bill McKay on keyboards

^ with Drew Emmitt on mandolin, Mark Vann on banjo, Bill McKay on keyboards, Jose Martinez on percussion, and Vince Herman on vocals and washboard

^^ with Keller Williams

^^^ with Keller Williams, Drew Emmitt, Mark Vann, Bill McKay, Vince Herman, and someone in a gorilla suit

Notes: * with Lonesome Fiddle Blues teases. Song was preceeded by a jam about all the vendors in the area.

** Preceeded by a false start Resume Man

*** Without Nershi until the very end of the tune

That's brutal Tooly, it's amazing how different people can have the complete opposite time at the same show. But I guess there is always bright and dark sides to every lot scene. Too bad it didn't work out for ya, I know I've also been to shows that others loved, but because of a bad scene or whatever, I couldn't enjoy.

I remember hearing about the kidnapping, what happened with that?

man i KNEW i recognized that bum!!!!!!!!!!!

no i dont think it was you, it was some shwilly fratboy-type kid, short hair, no beard

the kid was found, thank God, we saw this friggin wook walking towards the six flags gate on the lawn, to the far right i think,, they were walking towards the park, if they had gone in the park again he woulda been lost for sure i think. but we found him, yelled at the guy,, i told the kids mom she should go to security, but she was puddled(bad move #1, dosing while with your kid at a show) so she didnt want to deal with security.

just a big old mess,, didnt get back into canada till like a week and a half later, 3 or 4 days after the show i was in chicago. go figure

wow Tooly, sorry to rekindle those memories.. but, that was not my favourite cheese show, saw a few west coast ones, and there was nothing but love... especially at the commodore in Vancouver.. and I don't think you should hold sci responsible for some bad seeds!!! anyhow, as for your question Cyber hippie, I think bringing children to shows is ok, as long as they ALWAYS remain priority...

WORST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had box seats, right up front,, it was nice running into show whore and gleeson but other then that,, terrible show.

i was there with this girl and her kid and my buddy,, her kid got kidnapped. that was hard to deal with after getting puddled in the lot.

music was crap, the joker was poo, the crosstown traffic was allright, im sorry if you guys think im just bashing the hell outta the show,, but man, i did NOT have a good show, to me it was terrible,, i got hulahooped in the head by some drunk woman on the lawn, then, the kicker,, we get back to the car after the show, and thers some kid passed out ON THE HOOD OF OUR CAR!! tons of balloons around him,, this other guys got a minitank selling ballooons right next to our car,, so i go up to him and say hey dude, you might want to watch your custies man, theyre droppin like flies,, i show him the dude passed out on our car, meh he says,, anyways,, we cant even move our car cuz of the nitrous traffic for at least 45 minutes, man,, boo

ill never see sci again. just from teh attitude from teh kids in the show and on the lot was terrible.

sorry for morning rantings but it had to be done.

This post is interesting to me.

I like SCI. I come from Vancouver. All the shows out west (or outside) have been great. I find many people on the east coast have a hard time liking them. I have lived in Toronto for a year and a half, plus 4 years in London, so i have a pretty good sense of the disaparity between music fans on each coast. i also like SCI a lot more during hiatus. coincidence?

Secondly, since a few gracious others have leant themselves to a slight rant, I will too. Here goes:

#2, I'm all for hearing that you had fun at a show, but cut the nitrous babble out of this. that shit is bad for you and makes for a bad, bad scene as made evident by several posts and many first-hand experiences. It's no coincidence you had fun at this show while slurping on your own brain cells.

And I know you live in my hometown, and seem to be an extremely positive person who had fun at the commodore and the like, but these posts about the same SCI show (on upstream too) and SCI this and SCI that are getting out of hand. i mean i like SCI, and karl denson too.

maybe it's the nitrous shit. that's what got me started. sorry for the rant #2. enjoy the Buffalo show.

"-I'm a lover not a figher" -MJ

greasyfizeek

well, I am sure for a lot of you this might have been the worst show ever for a number of reasons, but on that night, it was my "first" String Cheese Show... First of many... and that is special, to me... and I had not heard that show in a year and a half, and it brought back some funny memories for myself, and some bad ones for others, (my apologies) its like your first kiss!!! you never forget your first kiss even though you had braces!!!

I guess there is no way that anyone can respond to a thrashing such as the one I just administered but I do wish someone would try. It seems no one is willing to stretch a little and imagine no matter how much you love them that they are really detestable to others. Take my precious Flaming Lips, I get upset when people dismiss them but understand that if you're not into smarty pants college boy bipolar pop then you probably won't like them. Likewise why can't people appreciate that most 'normal' people would find the Cheese either eminently forgettable or downright detestful.

Can anyone for instance account for why, in a life filled with so many mixed sentiments, in a language so full of possibilities, they choose to glorify the most mundane sentiments and generic nature boy allusions?

Hey Rossolee, I was at those Rockingham shows adn you are right they were EXCEPTIONAL!! I think it was a mixture of things........as Tigger describes it, their music has "no sharp edges", plus the atmosphere....the place was just an explosion of magnificent energy, plus the venue.....so cool.....middle of nowhere and NO hassles [big Grin]

As for the Darien show, I remember them playing Up The Canyon really slow (I like it better fast)....but that goes for most songs (eg. Jack-A-Roe, They Love Eachother etc....) I don't know if they've kept it slow!?!?! I haven't seen them since Darien. But the highlight was Texas for me!

what did the guy say with the kid? he said the kid said he wanted to go to the boats, then the guy said he asked where his mom was and sean(kid) said she was at the boats,, she wanst, we were like 10 feet away, man the mom was just slightly less sketchy then the kids on that lot,, all i heard for hours walking around was "pharmies! K!! MOLLY! heady rolls!" no dank nuggets, no fucking good beer grr.

string cheese has no respect from me. they blew up when phish stopped touring, all the lotrats just hopped on hepCtour, i mean sci tour, and kang started ripping treys licks off. their jams DO sound like phish kung, you're right on teh ball there dude

whats with the damn hula hoops anyways??

"Can anyone for instance account for why, in a life filled with so many mixed sentiments, in a language so full of possibilities, they choose to glorify the most mundane sentiments and generic nature boy allusions?"

It all comes down to people wanting to think they need to attach to something, anything that gives them some form of a cultural identity. Is it just a coincedence that Wooks started appearing around 1987, the year of Touch Of Grey? Everyone calls the whole thing a *family* but the lot is the FURTHEST thing from a family now. The general 'me' concept is on display, and we have labels like 'Custie' now. If you think about it, I bet that word came from Wooks, so they could distinguish themselves from the customers that they are ripping off in the first place.

Anyways, theres your metaphorical answer Kung.

yeah booche wooks started callin custies custies last summer or 2 summers ago

i think its rude man,, if it wasnt for those customers the wooks wouldnt have any suckers to buy their busted ass merchandise.

i see it kinda like looking the gift horse in the mouth, did i get that right?

yeah booche wooks started callin custies custies last summer or 2 summers ago

i think its rude man,, if it wasnt for those customers the wooks wouldnt have any suckers to buy their busted ass merchandise.

i see it kinda like looking the gift horse in the mouth, did i get that right?

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

I guess there is no way that anyone can respond to a thrashing such as the one I just administered but I do wish someone would try.

[big Grin]

STRING CHEESE INCIDENT

10-27-01

RPI Fieldhouse, Troy, NY

Disc 1 (Set 1)

1. Crowd

2. Best Feeling->

3. Jam->

4. Lonesome Road Blues

5. Pretty Polly

6. Lost

7. Impressions*->

8. Drums->

9. Superstition*

*w/Chris Wood on Bass & Jon Medeski on Keyboards!

Disc 2 (Set II)

1. Crowd

2. Bam!

3. Round the Wheel->

4. Born on the Wrong Planet

5. Drifting

Disc 3 (Set II cont.)

1. Sitting on top of the World

2. Jellyfish->

3. Jam->

4. Round the Wheel

5. Shakin' the Tree (ENCORE)

We are NEVER going to see eye to eye. Oddly enough I have actually heard that show cause Weirdness was there taping. Definitely nothing all that special going on there to my ear. I do recall feeling very embarassed for M & W having to sit in with that wretched band. You do for instance understand that in terms of technical abilities that the Cheese are just better than a kick ass bar band with some community college jazz classes under a couple of their belts whereas MMW are true virtuouso's of their respective instruments.

well, my response to Tooly/kung is this, you may not like the cheese, I can accept that, but I don't think they sound like Phish, I don't like Phish... I respect them, but they do nothing for me, Cheese I connect with, the Dead, I connect with... the biscuits, I connect with...among many others, I think Chang is his own man... and the Cheese, are in my opinion, the band, they inspire me to write, phish does not. but, to each their own!!! I love Cheese!!!

There is just so much to say about all this. Like why for instance does such an ultra positive band attract their fare share or more of super sketchbags? Like the guy who killed his friends with Demerol after the Cheese show (in Illinois I think), or the Cheesehead who disappeared in Hawaii, or just general hepititis outbreaks? I know the Dead and Phish have more than there fair share too obviously. My sense of the Cheese, besides thinking they play third rate jazz-celtic lite polka garbage, is that they intentionally avoid all of the 'darker' and more tragic strains of experience particularly in their hacked off songwriting. I recently forced myself to watch the whole Fillmore Cheese DVD and if this is a top drawer Cheese show you all have MAJOR problems. Rivertrance for instance at least on that version is a go nowhere generic celtic jam that Ashley McIsaac could play blindfolded with one hand and a fourteen year old boys dick. Anyways I'm just amazed at actually how bad, and literal and ill-conceived, their songwriting and voices are. The dynamics of the players really aren't all that shit hot either. The bass and drums really seem to work in a pretty standard mode. The keyboards are likely the closest thing to an advanced player and are still just passable most of the time. Nershi just scares me and is not a great player at all. Kang also scares me and only really interests me when he's imitating Trey or Jerry seemingly intentionally. Does anyone else not notice how Phishy some of their tunes sound- I swear I heard something very Esthery in the middle of one song and something Wilsony in another. Maybe they're slyly winking at the other bands repertoire in a self-reflexive kind of way. Or maybe they don't have very well developed rhythmic and harmonic concepts so they backslide into other people's shit.

Seriously though even I heard that Darien show sucked. I'm all for relative experiences (Jesus Christ a kid go kidnapped! I hadn't even addressed that) but sucking is sucking.

String Cheese Incident -

"They put the ASS back in Bluegrass"

Archived