Jambands.ca

Getting back into skiing....tips??

Hux

So, I plan on hitting the slopes for the first time in about 15 years this month. Some things have definitely changed since I last traversed a hill, ie. Mp3 players in helmets and stuff like that (rad) anyone have any tips? I was a pretty advanced skier back in the day, assuming it's a bit like riding a bike?

I've seen your ski attire...get new stuff!

I think Sunshine might have a point. Considering I plan to be seen with you on this mountain, I should let you know that one-piece ski-wear is referred to around here as "a fag bag". Something to consider.

Also, you are aware, of course that skis are no longer straight, right? Now they are "parabolic", meaning they are more like two snowboards. It is an awesome improvement, as the skis do most of the work turning, for you.

Yeah, ditch the skiis and get a board!

Last I heard the helmet-earphone combo is 'illegal' and I personally don't like it. But you can buy them for around $120 at Tommy and Lefevbre.

Edelweiss is great on weeknights, everyone goes to Camp Fartune and leaves Edelweiss empty, so there's lots of room. Plus Edelweiss is a much better local hill. Night-skiing season passes are only $69. Full passes are $230 after taxes.

I'll be there tomorrow night and most of the weekend probably.

AD

Last I heard the helmet-earphone combo is 'illegal' and I personally don't like it. But you can buy them for around $120 at Tommy and Lefevbre.

Personally, I love the helmet-headphone combo. To my knowledge, Whistler couldn't care less whether you wear headphones on the Mountain. On the package to the headphone setup, however, there is a warning that these are (of course) meant to be used on the chair lift and gondola, not while on the mountain. I would not say that makes these "illegal", but the helmet-company can point to that warning and say, "If you got into a ski-accident because you couldn't hear over the headphones ... not our fault! We warned ya."

Also $120 is a good deal, unless the helmet you're talking about is some low-quality knockoff brand I am unfamiliar with. They usually cost around $160 to $200.

I personally just keep one earphone of my iPod in my ear under my helmet. Same thing, I meant I just don't like that when both ears are covered people don't pay attention to their surroundings. I've been hit a few times already this year by newbies who A) wear the earphone helmets and B) don't understand the rules of the hills (ie. watch out for people downhill from you).

I love listening to music while cruising, but just in one ear.

AD

A little wrong, but nothing I wouldn't expect from you SP.

Hey Stone, can you rent those speaker helmuts out there?

I've seen your ski attire...get new stuff!

Don't plan on using that very old stuff Sunshine, I'll rent, and if the fire is still there I suppose I would look at investing in new stuff.

Actually, no one-piece, but I swear I will at least do one run in Whistler in a tank-top. I swear - just watch me...

pic_trudeau_beer.jpg

To my knowledge, you can't rent ski attire or helmets. However, I am sure we can find/borrow you stuff to wear if you need it, or while you are in Vancouver I can direct you to a store that sells all this stuff, second-hand, really cheap. (Among other things, they usually have last year's Whistler ski-patrol gear for next-to-nothing, but you can also buy normal stuff.) You don't want to buy ski jackets and stuff in Whistler, as we are not known for our bargain-basement pricing.

You can borrow my helmet for a couple runs, if you like, and I'll just go musicless and helmetless to let you get a feel for it.

A little wrong, but nothing I wouldn't expect from you SP.

Touche. .. ::

You're sooo going to miss your long hair when you're skiing in your tank top...that's a vision right there...Hux's luxurious locks blowing in the wind as he descends the mountain in a tank top....That's a Mentos commercial waiting to happen!

the biggest difference you'll notice is that ski companies no longer even produce what they call "straight skiis" anymore. now they are only making "shaped skiis". they are shorter and fatter, and easier to turn on apparently. i'm amazed by how fast they took the ski world by storm.

my housemate wears his iPod skiing all the time and it is SO OBNOXIOUS! might as well be skiing alone i say!

What an odd comment. Do you and your roommate normally speak to each other in any geat abundance while actually skiing? I find that when I am riding down the mountain, I am riding by myself; whether or not my friends are nearby. Besides that, can your roommate not hear you with his iPod on? My helmet with built-in headphones is designed to allow you to hear people.

I also think the words "SO OBNOXIOUS" are somewhat of an odd choice, considering I can't imagine that your roommate's iPod-use is infringing on anyone else's enjoyment of the slopes. Further, you may not have considered the fact that you essentially insulted me, as I have already posted that I do listen to tunes while I ride.

woah woah, easy there! i'm glad that you can hear the outside world when you ride while listening to tunes - my roommate can't. i really do find it obnoxious riding with my iPod-using roomate. talking on the chairlift?? nope. take a wipe out with him already further down the slope? see you later that night at home. on reflection i think i should clarify: my roommate is the obnoxious one; iPod use while skiing is probably very good, as long as you don't ignore your ski partner for the entire time.