Jambands.ca

Countdown to Rolling Stones Tour Announcement!

Douglas

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Rolling Stones in Montreal at the Olympic Stadium in December 1989 for their Steel Wheels tour. I was in the last row, way at the top. I need to see them in a smaller venue. I remember the sound being horrible and the whole band were as small as ants.

That is a similar story to the one I have. I only ever saw the Stones once, and it was just a couple of years ago at "Sarstock" in Toronto. Of course, the venue was humongous, but I was actually quite close to the front.

Although I was close, the sound was unbelievably bad, and the band played as though they couldn't care less about doing quality work. It might have been the sound system, but I think it was simply laziness by the band. They were terrible (and as any who have read the reviews know, AC/DC stole that show).

I doubt I would see them again after that, but I do hope you guys see some good, old, quality Stones on this tour. (I got "no satisfaction" when I saw them.)

They were terrible (and as any who have read the reviews know, AC/DC stole that show).

AC/DC certainly dig knock my socks off that night! What a time, a hot, shadeless, hellish time...

As for the Stones, I've been going to see them since I was a wee one (my folks are HUGE Stones fans). The sound has gotten progressively worse the last two times I've seen them. Noticeably worse! However, I still love to see a show and see how excited everyone in the crowd gets when the boys come out or Mick unveils a new, fruity get-up.

Sarstock left a horrible taste in my mouth though. I'm haunted by the image of Justin Timberlake following Mick around the stage and embarrassing himself during Miss You. What a debacle. I can't stand that little bitch!

Sarstock left a horrible taste in my mouth though. I'm haunted by the image of Justin Timberlake following Mick around the stage and embarrassing himself during Miss You. What a debacle. I can't stand that little bitch!

That festival left a good taste in my mouth. Toronto's SARS disaster reverberated and affected all parts of Canada. I didn't care for all the acts, but they showed-up and did their best for a good cause.

Justin did the SARS concert out of good faith. He didn't go up on stage and use that vehicle to sell a tribute song ala Paul McCarney's dreadful 9/11 song " Freedom ". Justin in fact, blew The Tea Pary off the stage.

Also, Rush were sloppy and The Guess Who, especially Randy, impressed for the most part.

Bad sound? Did Woodstock have bad sound? I've read no testimonials from Woodstock regarding bad sound, and the sound probably was spotty at best back then. It's hard to play to 600,000.

Jaimoe, I agree with you that The Guess Who were great. (I also thought Rush were pretty good.)

Also, as I said above, I don't think it is as a result of the sound system that the Stones sounded so bad. I think they just didn't bother to try. I assume, as well, that you agree with me that it was not the sound system, as you also indicated that you think the Guess Who played well (so the system didn't seem to affect their show), leaving the only explanation for why the Stones were terrible to be their own playing.

I also agree that I am grateful to the Stones for organizing that event, and for all the musicians who came out; even Justin. That does not detract, however, from my opinion that the Stones set was a fiasco.

As well, I have also heard nothing about Woodstock having bad sound (apart from the Dead's set, but that was because they were getting electric shocks off their instruments due to rain). For that reason, I assume the sound was fine, rather than assuming the opposite.

I thought Rush was awesome at SARSstock and that they had the best sound out of the whole day. The Guess Who were terrible to me, who needs to see Bachman play a guitar with a drumstick? It was just a gimmick that sounded like shite. But I hated the Guess Who going in, so who knows...

AD

Sarstock sucked... Bad lineup, bad playing, bad times... It was a good idea on paper, but then again communism is a good idea on paper...

How can what it did, not only for a city in NEED of Tourism dollars and the entire country mind you be summed up with two words... Sarstock sucked? Just curious to your thinking? Did the Flaming Lips play horribly then? AC DC? Heck Jim Belushi and Dan Aykroyd were probably fun as hell... I cant make a comment on it only seeing clips on tv... I for one was glad it happened.

Sarstock sucked... Bad lineup, bad playing, bad times... It was a good idea on paper, but then again communism is a good idea on paper..

It was a good idea on paper, in reality and given the crowds it was pretty well executed.

If "bad lineup...bad playing" are your main gripes at a free concert with 500 000 people then you completely missed the point.

I think it was a great idea... I'm glad something was organized, it definitely helped out Toronto. I didn't go, only watched bits on TV. But that lineup was horrible. Did the Flaming Lips suck? Probably. In my opinion they're not very good to begin with. The Stones played a horrible set by all accounts, and don't get me started on my hatred of Dan Akyroyd... Maybe I should have said it sucked for me, but I don't know single person who considered it a great concert... By most accounts I have heard, it sucked. I lived in Mississauga at the time, was not affected by SARS at all, and really didn't consider this a good thing for the country. Yeah, Toronto needed something, but I think the organizers were in way over their heads... How else can you explain the acts on the bill? The Tea Party? Sass Jordan? Who cares? You obviously didn't care that much POG or you would have attended...

It was a good idea on paper, in reality and given the crowds it was pretty well executed.

If "bad lineup...bad playing" are your main gripes at a free concert with 500 000 people then you completely missed the point.

The concert certainly wasn't free, they confiscated people's food and water on a boiling hot, day long show, where it was next to impossible to move... [color:purple]Sounds like it was smooth to me...

You obviously didn't care that much POG or you would have attended...

Actually I did care Del and worked an extra long shift at work so that 5 of my employees at the time could go to the show... No need to turn it into a personal attack there brother, was just asking how your comment could be made on something that was so beneficial...

I just hate really massive crowds. That would have been the only thing wrong with the event to me. Just too damn big.

Sarstock was the first time I saw/heard anything to do with the Flaming Lips, and I thought they were very interesting. I did get to see them at moe.down shortly after.

I remember watching the crowds and imagining all of the waiting, aggrevation, lineups, long walks through the crowd for a good pee/poo. I'm sure it was worthwhile for alot of people, but it wouldn't have been worth it to me.

I lived in Mississauga at the time, was not affected by SARS at all, and really didn't consider this a good thing for the country.

Tourism plummeted in many parts of Canada after SARS, not that any tourist would go to Mississauga - Port Credit excluded.

I hear that Velvet is offering up free parking for Rolling Stones concert! And he's only a "stone's" throw away from the park...

hahahha! I can just picture him now...all squinty-eyed and shouting "WHAT?!!"

(j/k about the parking btw...in case anyone was reeealllly wondering)

Edited by Guest
don't wanna make Velvet squint his eyes and shout toooo much!

For the record, it wasn't impossible to move, lineups weren't too bad (longer lines at Bluesfest) and for me and everyone I went with it was a great concert. Yeah, the Stones didn't play too well, but so what? I've seen far worse bands suck way harder and people on this board fall over themselves calling them gods. And they didn't have ACDC, Kathleen Edwards, Rush, Sam Roberts, Flaming Lips etc.. on the bill too to make it worthwhile.

I paid $17 to see some of the world's biggest and best bands play a party to support Toronto, and this past weekend I paid $12 to see JSB play the same song for an hour and a half, supporting a sleazy bar owner. Guess what the better deal was.

I love how people think they have a definitive conclusion about events they weren't even at.

AD

For the record, it wasn't impossible to move, lineups weren't too bad (longer lines at Bluesfest) and for me and everyone I went with it was a great concert. Yeah, the Stones didn't play too well, but so what? I've seen far worse bands suck way harder and people on this board fall over themselves calling them gods. And they didn't have ACDC, Kathleen Edwards, Rush, Sam Roberts, Flaming Lips etc.. on the bill too to make it worthwhile.

I agree with all of the above. When I first brought up this concert in this thread, it was NOT intended as a negative comment on the overall show. I am very appreciative that all those bands came out to support Canada.

As well, I found the venue surprisingly easy to move about. The crowding was not too bad at all. It did take a long time to walk from one end to the other, but that was only because the venue was humongous, as it had to be; but crowding was really not a problem except up near the stage, which is almost always the case at any big show of any kind. (My one complaint was that the whole concession area was dedicated to beef, which I don't eat, but that was also for a good reason as we had the whole mad cow issue to deal with at that time, too.)

I enjoyed this concert, and I'm glad I went. The only reason I brought it up is that the Stones seemed to treat the gig as a joke, and didn't seem to bother trying to play well. I appreciate that they came out, but their unprofessional performance would dissuade me from seeing them again. That is the only reason I brought this up in the first place.

(Was this only 17 bucks? I thought it was two or three times that much, but my memory is not what it used to be.)