Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/hjqTnt

folder7.jpg

The Avett Brothers – Live, Volume 3

Their first major label release, I And Love And You, may have reflected more-mature production and craftsman-like arrangements, but live performances by The Avett Brothers retain the hard-driving, extremely loose, spirit and hillbilly-meets-punk amalgam of folk, country, rock and bluegrass that has brought the brother-led group to the forefront of contemporary acoustic music. Recorded before a hometown crowd, at Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina, in August 2009, a month prior to the release of “I And Love And You,†the Avetts’ third live album documents the unabashed joy of their shows. The passion is sometimes overwhelming, such as when Scott Avett forgets the words of “The Ballad Of Love And Hate,†and is forced to stop and start again. Though the emphasis is on tunes from I And Love And You (“Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise,†“The Perfect Spaceâ€, “Kick Drum Heart,†and the title track), the 16-song set touches on every step of the Avett Brothers’ decade-long climb. —Craig Harris (Chicopee, MA)

MP3@V0

Track List

1. Pretty Girl from Matthews

2. Talk on Indolence

3. Ballad False Start

4. The Ballad of Love and Hate

5. Colorshow

6. I and Love and You

7. Shame

8. When I Drink

9. Murder in the City

10. I Killed Sally’s Lover

11. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise

12. The Perfect Space

13. Paranoia in B-Flat Major

14. Distraction #74

15. Kick Drum Heart

16. Salvation Song

http://bit.ly/hjqTnt

Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC (4/1/91)

Jack Straw

Peggy-O

It's All Over Now

Candyman

Tom Thumb's Blues

Picasso Moon

Bird Song

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Looks Like Rain

Dark Star

drums

space

Dark Star Reprise

Playin' Reprise

Black Peter

Turn On Your Love Light

Baby Blue

...on XMradio.

http://bit.ly/ht8mJY

folder8.jpg

“The Quintet†– Complete Jazz at Massey Hall

Jazz at Massey Hall is a renowned jazz album featuring a live performance by “The Quintet†on 15 May 1953 at Massey Hall in Toronto. The quintet was composed of some of the time’s biggest names in jazz: Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach. It was the only time that the five men recorded together as a unit, and it was the last recorded meeting of Parker and Gillespie. Parker played a Grafton saxophone on this date; he could not be listed on the original album cover for contractual reasons, so was billed as “Charlie Chan†(an allusion to the fictional detective and to Parker’s wife Chan). The record was originally issued on Mingus’s label Debut, from a recording made by the Toronto New Jazz Society. Mingus took the recording to New York where he and Max Roach dubbed in the bass lines, which were under-recorded on most of the tunes, and exchanged Mingus soloing on “All the Things You Are.â€

The original plan was for the Jazz Society and the musicians to share the profits from the recording. However the audience was so small that the Society was unable to pay the musicians’ fees. The musicians were all given NSF checks, and only Parker was able to actually cash his; Gillespie complained that he did not receive his fee “for years and yearsâ€.

A 2004 re-issue contains the full concert, without the over-dubbing which was added by Charles Mingus on the original recording. The new version was titled “Complete Jazz at Massey Hallâ€.

Jazz at Massey Hall was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1995. It is included in National Public Radio’s “Basic Jazz Libraryâ€. The concert was issued in some territories under the tag “the greatest jazz concert everâ€. —Wikipedia

MP3@320CBR

Track List

1. “Perdido†(Juan Tizol, Hans Lengfelder, Ervin M. Drake)

2. “Salt Peanuts†(Dizzy Gillespie, Kenny Clarke)

3. “All the Things You Are†(Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II)

4. “52nd Street Theme†(Thelonious Monk)

5. Drum Solo by Max Roach

6. “Cherokee†(Noble)

7. “Embraceable You†(George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)

8. “Hallelujah (Jubilee)†(Grey, Robin, Youmans)

9. “Sure Thing†(Bud Powell)

10. “Lullaby of Birdland†(Shearing, Weiss)

11. “I’ve Got You Under My Skin†(Porter)

12. “Wee (Allen’s Alley)†(Denzil Best)

13. “Hot House†(Tadd Dameron)

14. “A Night in Tunisia†(Gillespie, Frank Paparelli)

Personnel

* Dizzy Gillespie — trumpet

* Charles Mingus — bass

* Charlie Parker — alto sax

* Bud Powell — piano

* Max Roach — drums

http://bit.ly/ht8mJY

Edited by Guest

The John Henrys, Sweet As The Grain.

51c5n-tPq4L._SS500_.jpg

Just saw velvet's name in the liner notes.

Wish I had had the opportunity to see these guys more than once. Just one night in Ottawa in 2006 in some tavern or another. Most of you Ottawa dinkosauri were there. Good times.

2006-07-08, at Irene's Pub, maybe? They also played there on 2006-11-25.

Aloha,

Brad

Wish I had had the opportunity to see these guys more than once. Just one night in Ottawa in 2006 in some tavern or another. Most of you Ottawa dinkosauri were there. Good times.

2006-07-08' date=' at Irene's Pub, maybe? They also played there on 2006-11-25.

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

Nope. Would have been March, or possibly February.