Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/fNbppG

folder9.jpg

Ray Charles – Rare Genius The Undiscovered Masters

Culled from four decades worth of demos and other previously unreleased material, Rare Genius showcases the remarkable artistic vision, stylistic range and emotionally rich vocals that crafted Charles enduring legacy. Listening to the ten gems from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s that comprise this CD, fans will have no trouble envisioning the late singer rocking back and forth at the piano as he effortlessly segues between R&B/soul, pop, country and gospel. “Ray would always get inside the meaning of a lyric and make the listener believe every word,†says Concord Music Group Chief Creative Officer, John Burk. “His vocals carried incredible emotion and intensity, even on demo tapes. What we have here with Rare Genius is on par with some of his greatest works.â€

And that’s crystal clear right from the album’s sparkling opener, “Love’s Gonna Bite You Back.†The March 1980 session track features an upbeat horn arrangement behind what Rare Genius liner notes author Bill Dahl calls “a Charles vocal that’s a signature mixture of sandpaper grit and heavenly goodness.†Up next is the stunning ballad “It Hurts to Be in Love,†which underscores the album’s main thematic focus and one of Charles’ favorite subjects: the ups and down of romance. Another compelling standout is the gospel-stirred Charles and Cash duet on Kris Kristofferson’s “Why Me, Lord?†Discovered in the Sony vaults, the song was produced by Billy Sherrill in Nashville and recorded in 1981 for an anticipated release on a CBS album. For unknown reasons, that didn’t come to pass. What’s more important, however, is the emotional charge you get listening to these two powerful voices come together in this spirited and inspired pairing. Except for “Lord,†the nine other Rare Genius tracks including the soul-drenched “I Don’t Want No One But You,†a blues-infused cover of songwriter Hank Cochran’s country classic “A Little Bitty Tear†and the joyous “I’m Gonna Keep on Singin’†were found in the vault at Charles’ R.P.M. International Studios in Los Angeles. Adding a little sweetening to some of the sparse, stripped-down tracks was a team of top-notch musicians and artists: guitarists Keb’ Mo’ and George Doering, organist Bobby Sparks, trumpeter Gray Grant, trombonist Alan Kaplan, bassists Trey Henry and Chuck Berghofer, drummers Gregg Field and Ray Brinker and background vocalist Eric Benet.

As with its Concord predecessor, 2004′s Grammy-winning Album of the Year Genius Loves Company, Rare Genius: The Undiscovered Masters is another fitting tribute to Charles, who would have turned 80 on September 23, 2010. It’s a fresh, vibrant reaffirmation of the music icon’s unparalleled artistry and legacy. — Amazon.com

MP3@320CBR

Track List

1. Love’s Gonna Bite You Back 3:54

2. It Hurts To Be In Love 4:53

3. Wheel Of Fortune 4:00

4. I’m Gonna Keep On Singin’ 5:30

5. There’ll Be Some Changes Made 4:04

6. Isn’t It Wonderful 4:13

7. I Don’t Want No One But You 4:20

8. A Little Bitty Tear 3:35

9. She’s Gone 3:11

10.Why Me Lord? (featuring Johnny Cash) 3:57

http://bit.ly/fNbppG

Thanks Aaron!!! :D

Another great release from Jason Isbell:

http://bit.ly/i6DnpA

folder10.jpg

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit – Here We Rest

After spending six years with the genre-defying roots rock ensemble Drive-By Truckers, singer/guitarist Jason Isbell amicably left the group in 2007 to pursue a solo career. Isbell had already displayed his songwriting prowess during his tenure with the Truckers, and he funneled those talents into Sirens of the Ditch, a bluesy, punk-infused lesson in guitar tones and Southern swagger that marked his solo debut in summer 2007. Backed by a band dubbed the 400 Unit, Isbell took his songs on the road and soon began penning another album, which he recorded with the 400 Unit in 2008. Released the following year, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit found the songwriter ruminating on issues of love, youth, and war. – AllMusicGuide

An Alabama native, Isbell comes from a tradition of Southern music. He proudly embraces his roots, which shine through in his songs and even in the title of the new album. Here We Rest was Alabama’s original motto. However, instead of resting comfortably within its boundaries, Isbell, along with keyboardist Derry deBorja, guitarist Browan Lollar, drummer Chad Gamble and bassist Jimbo Hart transcend them. His thoughtful songwriting and warm, soulful voice are genuine, natural abilities that come through in the music.

From the soulful heartache of “We’ve Met†and “Save It For Sunday†to the country-infused folk of “Alabama Pines†and “Daisy Mae†to the old school R&B of Candi Staton’s “Heart On A Stringâ€, Here We Rest is steeped the best of southern American music. Isbell’s songs continue to reveal themselves the more you listen. From his lyrical depth to his vocals, his songs penetrate the heart and the mind, and stay with you. A true sign of great songwriting.

Here We Rest was produced by Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit and recorded at the legendary Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, AL and at The NuttHouse in Sheffield, AL. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit will be previewing the Here We Rest during South By Southwest in Austin, TX on March 17th. — jasonisbell.com

MP3@320CBR

Track List

1. Alabama Pines

2. Go It Alone

3. We’ve Met

4. Codeine

5. Stopping By

6. Daisy Mae

7. The Ballad Of Nobeard

8. Never Could Believe

9. Heart On A String

10. Save It For Sunday

11. Tour Of Duty

http://bit.ly/i6DnpA

Just got the remaster/deluxe/2cd Jayhawks.

http://bit.ly/e20Tid

folder5.jpg

The Jayhawks – Tomorrow The Green Grass (2cd Legacy Edition)

1992′s Hollywood Town Hall wasn’t a hit, but it received enough rave reviews to considerably raise the Jayhawks‘ profile, and it certainly heightened expectations for their next album. On 1995′s Tomorrow the Green Grass, the Jayhawks found themselves in the tricky situation of trying to match the quality of Hollywood Town Hall without simply repeating themselves, and they came remarkably close to achieving that daunting task. Rather than simply mimic the warm and unaffected sound of Hollywood Town Hall, the Jayhawks reached for a broader and more eclectic approach on Tomorrow the Green Grass; with the presence of new keyboard player Karen Grotberg and the addition of strings on several tracks, the album certainly sounded fuller and more artful, but Marc Olson and Gary Louris’ harmonies were still the band’s secret weapon, and were as pure and emotionally compelling as ever, while Louris’ electric guitar solos gave the songs real rock & roll muscle without disturbing the essentially gentle nature of their music. And the best songs on Tomorrow the Green Grass are every bit as good as anything on Hollywood Town Hall, especially the opening hat trick of “Blue,†“I’ll Run Away,†and “Miss Williams’ Guitar†(the latter a joyous love letter to Olson’s new bride, Victoria Williams). But while nearly every song on Hollywood Town Hall seemed like a classic in context, the greater stylistic variety of Tomorrow the Green Grass had the consequence of making a few of the songs in the second half of the album seem less than essential, most notably “Ann Jane†and “Pray for Me,†though they hardly counted as disappointments, and the album rallies to a rousing finale with “Ten Little Kids.†If Hollywood Town Hall is inarguably the Jayhawks’ best album, Tomorrow the Green Grass runs a very close second, and though it was to be the group’s last album with Marc Olson, the eclectic approach pointed the way to the sound and style of the fine records the Louris-led version of the band would go on to make. [in 2011, American Recordings released a "Legacy Edition" version of Tomorrow the Green Grass that expanded the album to a two-disc set. The new version has been remastered and includes two rare B-sides, three unreleased session outtakes, and intelligent, informative essays from rock writer Bud Scoppa and Jayhawks historian P.D. Larson. But for fans, the real draw of the package will be the 18 "Mystery Demos" on disc two. Recorded in 1992, they're spare acoustic versions of songs that, for the most part, fell through the cracks and were never recorded by the band; the material is strong, evocative, and occasionally brilliant, and Olson and Louris' harmonies rarely sounded more moving than they do here; this is a real lost treasure for anyone who loved the way these two sang together.] - Mark Deming

MP3@320CBR

Track List

01. Blue 3:09

02. I’d Run Away 3:33

03. Miss Williams’ Guitar 3:06

04. Two Hearts 3:22

05. Real Light 3:26

06. Over My Shoulder 3:40

07. Bad Time 3:27

08. See Him On The Street 3:09

09. Nothing Left To Borrow 3:24

10. Ann Jane 4:00

11. Pray For Me 3:39

12. Red’s Song 3:58

13. Ten Little Kids 4:38

14. Tomorrow The Green Grass 3:37

15. You And I (Ba-Ba-Ba) 4:36

16. Sweet Hobo Self 3:10

17. Last Cigarette 3:26

18. Sleep While You Can 6:50

Track List: Disc #2/2

01. Pray For Me 3:44

02. Won’t Be Coming Home 3:52

03. No Place 4:58

04. Precious Time 3:30

05. Poor Michael’s Boat 2:56

06. Ranch House In Phoenix 4:53

07. Cotton Dress 3:16

08. She Picks The Violets 3:59

09. Bloody Hands 3:47

10. Up Above The River 3:48

11. Over My Shoulder 3:33

12. Blue From Now On (Take 2) 3:20

13. Hold Me Close 4:34

14. Turn Your Pretty Name Around 4:01

15. You And I (Ba-Ba-Ba) 5:10

16. Red’s Song 4:31

17. Nothing Left To Borrow 4:08

18. White Shell Road 4:07

http://bit.ly/e20Tid

Edited by Guest

And the other remastered/expanded Jayhawks release:

http://bit.ly/geNpvj

folder6.jpg

The Jayhawks – Hollywood Town Hall (Expanded/Remastered Edition)

The liner notes to the Jayhawks‘ career-making 1992 album, Hollywood Town Hall, were written by friend-of-the-band Joe Henry, then a struggling musician himself (and now one of the most prolific producers around). In just a few short paragraphs, Henry evokes not so much the music made by the Minneapolis band, but presumably what the music was about: wayward drifters with sad histories who disappeared, hitting the road in search of better times. The Jayhawks were never so down on their luck as their characters, but they were drifters just the same, ostensibly headquartered in the Twin Cities but always traveling to the next show and the next show after that. In the late 1980s and early 90s, they stayed on the road almost constantly, paying their dues and gradually playing to larger and larger audiences. They were alt-country merely by coincidence, gestating in isolation and predating the movement by several years. The band incorporated a wide range of styles and influences into their stately Americana, not just country and certainly not punk, but classic rock, folk, power pop, and lots of feedback from Gary Louris fuzzbox-filtered guitar– all seemingly absorbed with every mile of road traveled and every city played.

What the Jayhawks never drifted toward was success– at least not the kind that they and their fans felt the music warranted. Even so, a full 25 years after forming, the Jayhawks don’t come across as also-rans, which is itself a minor miracle. Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass still live and breathe, and these two new, long-awaited reissues sound like the logical conclusions of a legacy-shaping campaign that began with 2009′s career retrospective, Music From the North Country. Neither of these albums was a hit, exactly, but they have endured to become something more impressive. They show the Jayhawks unmoored from any one particular trend or style, devising new ways to combine roots and rock without skimping on either.

Hollywood Town Hall is, appropriately, a good road-trip album, moving from pre-dawn departure (“Waiting for the Sunâ€) to a hard-won destination (“Martin’s Songâ€, with its chorus, “I’ve been working all night, I go long into dayâ€). Louris’ guitar cuts elegant swathes through these songs, and the new remaster brings out the rich tones in the instruments themselves, especially Benmont Tench’s organ on “Crowded in the Wingsâ€. The songs have a greater live feel, but Hollywood Town Hall remains primarily a vocal album, with the harmonies of Louris and Olson at the center. Their approach is based on old-time country sibling acts like the Louvin and Stanley Brothers, yet those tightly intertwined vocals are reset in a dusty, electrified setting, marking perhaps the Jayhawks’ greatest innovation.

The five bonus tracks neither distract from nor add to the original, but they do reveal the tracklist as a model of economic editing and sequencing. Every song sounds ideally and carefully concise, adding to the effect of the whole. Because it is so economic, Hollywood Town Hall becomes the Jayhawks’ greatest statement. - Stephen M. Deusner

MP3@VBR~256 kbps

Track List

1. Waiting For The Sun

2. Crowded In The Wings

3. Clouds

4. Two Angels

5. Take Me With You (When You Go)

6. Sister Cry

7. Settled Down Like Rain

8. Wichita

9. Nevada, California

10. Martin s Song