Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

The Slip - (live recording) 2003-05-21, Babylon, Ottawa, ON

05/21/2003: Babylon Night Club: Ottawa, ONT (CAN)

Set I: Built for Zeal#, TEWDACYATM, Tonight We Leave Chicago, Mudslide, Yaki Soba, Children of December> Nellie Jean^> jam (another song?)> Nellie Jean, Aptos, Poor Boy> Whisper Me off to Sleep?%, What's So Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Encore: Sometimes True to Nothing, If One of Us Should Fall

Notes: # aka "Built Frisell". ^ SlipBase had "5:00am", ???some cover???" % lyrics "Even though your body is warm I still shiver", "Even though it's 5 AM I'm still playing" (same song played 5/9/03 Set II after Snails). [ Cleantone - Friday, July 25, 2003 ; Dylyn 4/6/04 ]

Aloha,

Brad

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=545079

The Slip - (live recording) 2003-06-15, Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN

06/15/2003: Bonnaroo Music Festival: Manchester, TN

Set I: Jam> Get Me with Fuji, Soft Machine, Nellie Jean> Jam> Born in December, Song of Mysterious Origin *, Sorry

Notes: * this is one of the new Indian sounding instrumentals (I think they may have played it on 4.19.03). [ben Murrill - b_murrill at hotmail.com - Thursday, July 10, 2003 ]

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Add link to torrent.

http://bit.ly/iQgoJW

bff_rs.jpg

Bela Fleck and The Flecktones – Rocket Science [Deluxe Edition]

A reunion of the original quartet known as Béla Fleck and the Flecktones can be considered something of an event. Banjoist Fleck is probably the most accomplished “newgrass†player of the last three decades, bassist Victor Wooten a virtuoso in his own right and brother Roy “Futureman†Wooten is practically otherworldly on his ever-evolving, custom-made Drumitar. Add to all of this the return of pianist/harmonica wizard Howard Levy, and the potential for genre-defying instrumental improvisation is high. Basically, these guys can play anything they want, and for the first recording of this particular group in nearly 20 years, Rocket Science shoots for the stars.

In some ways, Howard Levy’s unique musicianship and creativity have provided a real boost for his old comrades. The compositions are all quite bold, showcasing everyone’s versatility and highlighting the collective power of the band. Fleck’s impressive banjo style somehow works in the foreground and background simultaneously, as Wooten’s liquid bass weaves between Fleck and Futureman’s authentically rhythmic drum-work samples. Levy’s harmonica can be the least fascinating sound here, but the sonic direction of the Flecktones is still much more adventurous whenever he’s involved.

The composition “Life in Eleven†uses Bulgarian dance rhythms, and it might be the most engaging use of the unusual time signature since the Grateful Dead’s group-mind-meld on “The Eleven.†Futureman struts his stuff convincingly on “The Secret Drawer,†which segues nicely into Levy’s piano-based composition “Sweet Pomegranates.†Mostly following the old Weather Report adage of always soloing and never soloing, the Flecktones are simply amazing musicians whose rapport can’t be beat.

- Mitch Myers

mp3@256

Tracklist

01 – Gravity Lane

02 – Prickly Pear

03 – Joyful Spring

04 – Life In Eleven

05 – Falling Forward

06 – Storm Warning

07 – Like Water

08 – Earthling Parade

09 – The Secret Drawer

10 – Sweet Pomegranates

11 – Falani

12 – Bottle Rocket

13 – Wolf Laurel (Bonus Track)

http://bit.ly/iQgoJW

http://bit.ly/iueRsF

folder7.jpg

Rebirth Brass Band – Rebirth Of New Orleans

Having celebrated its 25th anniversary on 25th Anniversary, the Rebirth Brass Band addresses the rebirth of New Orleans more than five years after Hurricane Katrina on Rebirth of New Orleans. The group had moved stylistically from its traditional N.O. marching band roots to something of a rap and hip-hop phase, but appropriate to the theme of rebirth, this album returns to a traditional approach, starting with “Exactly Like You,†an old standard. Other songs are originals, but they are in the tradition, with most of the material being either outright instrumentals or essentially instrumental, with roughly chanted group vocals. Drummer Derrick Tabb plays in assertive marching tempos, and the veteran brass players execute complicated arrangements. This is the sound of the Rebirth Brass Band returning to fundamentals and starting over, just as their hometown was forced to do.

- William Ruhlmann

mp3@V0

Tracklist

01 – Exactly Like You

02 – I Like It Like That

03 – You Know You Know

04 – The Dilemma

05 – AP Touro

06 – What Goes Around Comes Around

07 – Do It Again

08 – Why Your Feet Hurt

09 – Shrimp and Gumbo