Jambands.ca

I'm really starting to like that Harper guy

GWB

i think the thing that has been bothering me the most about this election is the 2 horse race that the media has turned this into. lib vs. con., martin vs. harper, and the idea that the only way to vote for change is to vote conservative. it's just not true. the ndp dont seem to run a very sexy media campaign, which keeps them outta the headlines, but come on, since when did canadians turn into voting based on who can make the other guy look worse? i always believed canadians, deep down, were the type to stand up. but maybe we're not so proud anymore? or maybe we dont have anyone at the top to be proud of?

i wont be voting for the red horse, or the blue horse - i'll be putting my money on the dark horse and putting my faith in canadians to take back a sense of pride in who/what they vote for.

Dude, took the words right outta my mouth.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a follow up on this: on Larry King Live. they have some conservative christian fundamentalists talking about the horrifying effects of gay marriage and relationships... now really, come on, how can anyone consider voting for Stephen Harper?? Do we really want the Christian Fundamentalist right ruling our country as well??

I don't think many people are considering the consequences of a conservative majority.

i think it's funny that my crazy jesus freak born again christian mum ISN'T voting conservative. hahaha.

so what does everyone think of the new round of TV spots?

I really really really like the new one with martin speaking candidly abd canadian values, mistakes and blah blah. very very very good.

i also like the ndp ads that say "hey voted lib before? can't now? don't want to support the con agenda? vote ndp" also good, but martin's better.

the new cons ad...meh...average.

just a follow up on this: on Larry King Live. they have some conservative christian fundamentalists talking about the horrifying effects of gay marriage and relationships...

Do yo happen to remember exactly what effects they talked about? In all the discussion about same-sex marriage, nobody has ever told me exactly how those who aren't marrying partners of the same sex are affected by same-sex marriages.

Aloha,

Brad

people say Canadian politics is boring, but I disagree. This has turned into a very important and compelling election, full of odd tiwists and turns. Personally, I am discouraged by the current badgering between the Libs and the NDP - if ever two parties needed to get it on, now is the time. But poor Paul Martin seems so desperate and...... well, tired and old, and Layton didn't do himself any favours by asking Liberals to "lend" him their vote, "just this once". I understand the sentiment but the delivery is poor.

I will say this: don;t make any premature judgments about how things will go on Monday. Yes, there are developing trends at play, but to me it is still relatively wide open.

Glad to see I got a couple of supporters here. I really do like Steve. Kind of reminds me of...well me. More like when I was a young governor, still learning the ins and outs of back room politics. lucky for me dad was always around when things got tough. I remember the first time I got to really hang out with good old Steve. Here's a picture

Steve was a good sport, taking those paddle licks with lots of 'thank you sir can I have another' like a shop vac at one of condoleeza's NCCA parties.

Really looking forward to working with Steve come Tuesday. It will nice to finally have a puppet of my own to play with. Cheney's hand is really starting to get uncomfortable

I will say this: don;t make any premature judgments about how things will go on Monday. Yes, there are developing trends at play, but to me it is still relatively wide open.

Hear, hear, Marco.

Going into the last week of the campaign last time around, all the pundits and polls were suggesting that the Conservatives had it locked up. Only the Amazing Kreskin got it right (pegged the number of Liberal seats exactly!). 'Course the Libs were running a better campaign in those days, and the Cons a worse one.

5 days to go. Anything can happen yet.

just a follow up on this: on Larry King Live. they have some conservative christian fundamentalists talking about the horrifying effects of gay marriage and relationships...

Do yo happen to remember exactly what effects they talked about? In all the discussion about same-sex marriage' date=' nobody has ever told me exactly how those who aren't marrying partners of the same sex are affected by same-sex marriages.

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

Caught the tail end of it.. But the discussion revolved around "broke back mountain" and to be completely honest, they had no argument. They suggested that they would not see the movie and recommended that other's should not as well. The woman on the program used a story about some guy that helped out in South America that was a devout Christian(which had nothing at all to do with the discussion:great this guy helped alot of people in South America, a great example of a Christian, so why again are you against gay marriage?)---and discussed how she KNEW (not believed) that JC died on the cross and he was going to only save the non-sinners, because you know like, people who love another person, are such evil doers.

Edited by Guest

Anybody catch Harper's virtual coronation on CBC's 'Your Turn' last night? There was a time, in my naive youth, that I held Peter Mansbridge in some measure of esteem. Shame of shames, I think I once even dreamily suggested he should run for office once his journalistic [ed: you mean self-serving, spineless talking head?] career winds to a close. But year after year (election years in particular) my respect wanes. And wanes. And wanes.

Lighter note. Anybody catch Martin practically vomitting in his own mouth, swallowing it, and - with the taste of his body's own acids still fresh on his tongue - manage to spit out the words "the progressive values of the NDP are (ugh) shared (hrmph) by the Liberal Party"? It was a bunch of horseshit, but kinda fun to watch him nearly choke to death on the words.

Hmm. 11am and I'm getting surly. Perhaps it is time for bed.

Mine:

If Stephen Harper were running in the US on his current platform, he would be a moderate Democrat.

If John Kerry were running in Canada, he would be both a Conservative candidate and possibly the most right-wing party leader in living memory.

But we aren't a republic, and this isn't a presidential election. It is 308 seperate elections happening across the country, each with their own dynamic. Come Monday, the only people who will have Paul Martin on their ballot live in Montreal, Quebec. The only people who will have Stephen Harper on their ballot live in Calgary, Alberta. The only people who will have Jack Layton on their ballot live in Toronto, Ontario.

National polls are ill-equiped to tell us anything about the race happening where we live. To lose sight of that is to lose sight of the wonderful nuance and subtle gradation of choice that the Parliamentary system affords us.

Voting isn't the endpoint of democracy. It isn't even the heart of it. But it's a part of it.

poster4.jpg