Jambands.ca

End of Hockey Night In Canada?

bradm

According to a report on Canoe

For more than half a century, Hockey Night In Canada and the CBC have gone together like Don Cherry and plaid.

But Grapes might as well get himself fitted now for a CTV/TSN jacket. When the NHL's current contract with the CBC expires at the end of the 2007-08 season, look for them to get the puck out of there.

Aloha,

Brad

Compared to other options out there 'Hockey Night in Canada' is bad.

They are so slow with updates from other games and thats if they show them at all.

The announcers are senile.

Don Cherry is old and I don't mean his age.

The way they show the game is great but other networks are catching up.

There will always be Hockey Night in Canada. Except it's everyday of the week and not on CBC. I agree with Booche, I would miss the song.

Guest Low Roller

What I liked about HNIC (when I used to be able to watch it) was that it FELT old school. It brings with it a sort of nostalgia and history that no other station can bring with their broadcast.

What I liked about HNIC (when I used to be able to watch it) was that it FELT old school. It brings with it a sort of nostalgia and history that no other station can bring with their broadcast.

I agree Roller old boy. And I will take unmeasurable flack for this from just about EVERYONE here, but I like Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Bob Cole AND Harry Neale. Won't be the same without them.

Don & Ron and Bob Cole I can handle ... It's that useless drunk Harry Neale who I can't stand. He absolutely sucks! As for his professional insight, he SUCKED as a coach:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00033747

1974-75 Minnesota Fighting Saints WHA Head Coach 78 42 33 3 0 0.558 Lost in round 2

1975-76 Minnesota Fighting Saints WHA Head Coach 59 30 25 4 0 0.542 Out of Playoffs

1976-77 New England Whalers WHA Head Coach 81 35 40 6 0 0.469 Lost in round 1

1977-78 New England Whalers WHA Head Coach 80 44 31 5 0 0.581 Lost in Finals

1978-79 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head Coach 80 25 42 13 0 0.394 Lost in round 1

1979-80 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head Coach 80 27 37 16 0 0.438 Lost in round 1

1980-81 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head Coach 80 28 32 20 0 0.475 Lost in round 1

1981-82 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head Coach†

1985-86 Detroit Red Wings NHL Head Coach 80 17 57 6 0 0.250 Out of Playoffs

8 to 10 years ago when Cherry came on the music was turned down, women were made to leave the room and not a word was spoken until the segment was over.

Now everyone just keeps talking and may stop to listen if something interesting (which rarly happens) is said.

I've noticed this for awhile now. Don had a good run but the time to pack it in is coming.

Sorta related to all this, did anyone else see the clips of Ron McLean refereeing a pre-season game this year? I fucking loved it! Is that sort of interaction between refs and players normal or did Ron just suck at his job? e.g. asking the players who got the assists.

Cool!

That interview was from 2002. That was right around when they did the surprise benefit gig at Lee's Palace for the Special Olympics that followed the Winter Olympics that year.

I was lucky and lined up all afternoon and got into that gig. It was friggin' awesome!!!!

Hopefully I'm going to get into their CD premier this Sunday at the CBC ... on The Hour with Stromboulopoulous.

Here's a way you could win tix too:

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/contests.php

I can't enter this one because only people OUTSIDE of CBC can win it.

The question was "What hockey player, other than Bill Barilko in 50 Mission Cap, is mentioned in a Hip song??"

do you want the answer?

i know you do?

i'll be super nice and give it to you if you don't already know it:

scroll down

just a little bit further

more

ok ... here it is:

BOBBY ORR

"Fireworks" Phantom Power, 1998