Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller
Are we getting a little ahead of ourselves or are we witnessing the second coming of St. Patrick?

Oh' date=' COME ON!

[/quote']

I didn't say it, it was Dandenault!

Guest Low Roller

At least I offer an opinion, as hotshoted as it may be sometimes, unlike you who sits on the fence until you find someone to pounce on. And that's not because he challenges your opinion. You just like to pick on people.

rooster_MED.jpg

Guest Low Roller

Canadiens Strive for Excellence in Goaltending

The Montreal Canadiens have had their fair share of the games greatest goalies with an impressive list of hall of fame names like Patrick Roy, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, Georges Vezina, Gump Worsley and on. The Canadiens drafted two of the greatest goalies in history in Patrick Roy (’84, 51st) and Vladislav Tretiak (’83, 138th) although in the case of Tretiak it was done one year prior to his retirement from the Red Army team and he chose not to come over.

In the ‘90’s the Canadiens scouting staff drafted NHL goalies Jose Theodore (’94, 44th), Tomas Vokoun (’94, 226th), and Mathieu Garon (’96, 44th) and it was the trading of Garon that the team was able to land Cristobal Huet who has emerged as one of the better goalies in the league. Currently the Canadiens are one of the rare teams that has the NHL leader in save percentage in Huet, the AHL leader in save percentage in Jaroslav Halak and the ECHL leader in save percentage in Cedrick Desjardinds, although he is only signed to a minor league contract.

The Canadiens scouting staff along with goaltending coach Roland Melanson continue to churn out quality goaltending prospects in the hopes that they can continue to boast such an impressive pipeline of netminders. During the 2005 Draft the Canadiens made a very bold move in selecting Carey Price with the fifth overall pick, something that could come back to haunt the organization for years, or end up being a major piece to the teams future Stanley Cup hopes. Price has impressed management and fans alike during his first two appearances at the team’s training camp and preseason, along with twice being named to the final camp for Team Canada as one of the top four goalies under twenty years old in all of the country.

Things have been up and down for the Habs highest drafted goalie since Ray Martyniuk who was also drafted fifth overall in 1970. Price has not put up the same numbers he posted during his draft year as a 17 year old, which has caused much debate among fans as to why the team chose to pick a goalie so high in the draft. Next year or at the end of this season Price will turn pro and look to show what he can do at the next level which over time should hopefully ease the fears of the rabid fan base that thirst for a superstar to arise from the organization.

In addition to Carey Price, the Canadiens also have an impressive duo of goaltending prospects in Hamilton. Jaroslav Halak was selected in the ninth round of the 2003 draft, going 271st overall. Halak has been a standout goalie at every level he’s played in since being drafted out of the Slovak Junior league, where he dominated and even saw time in the top men’s league as an 18 year old. Next stop was Lewiston of the QMJHL where he was considered one of the top goalies in the league for the 19 year old rookie. In addition he was in nets for Team Slovakia World Juniors where he was very solid in nets both years, and during his draft year he helped his team to a Sliver medal at the U-18’s. Last year saw Halak make the jump to the pros in his second year in North America as a rookie in the ECHL, where at one point he led the league in goals against and save percentage before being recalled to Hamilton where he went on and recorded three shutouts in only thirteen games.

This year saw Halak get a full time spot in Hamilton as the likely backup to last year’s AHL All Star Co MVP in Yann Danis. Halak struggled in his first start but then bounced back after limited play to set the league on fire with four shutouts in only eleven games, giving him a jaw dropping seven career shutouts in only 24 starts. Halak currently leads the AHL in goals against, save percentage and shutouts, producing amazing numbers on a young team that often struggles with their defensive zone play.

Yann Danis was not drafted by the club, but former GM Andre Savard has his eye on the Quebec native as he tried to sign him out of the NCAA but Danis chose to stay in school for his final year and what a decision it turned out to be for him since he went on to have an outstanding final season being named as one of the three finalist for the Hobey Baker Award to the leagues top player. Danis signed with the Canadiens after his career in the ECAC was over, joining Hamilton and getting a shutout win in his first ever AHL and NHL starts. Danis has had his share of ups and downs but he is a smart hard working player and goaltending depth is always a bonus to have in the organization. The problem is that he will become a UFA after this year, but with the emergence of Halak and the fact that Price is getting closer, Danis’s future is certainly unknown within the organization.

It doesn’t end there as this past summer the Canadiens signed Cedrick Desjardins who went undrafted but twice appeared in the Memorial Cup the past two seasons, once with Patrick Roy’s Quebec Remparts. Desjardins was signed to a two year AHL contract but he was sent down to the ECHL where he split duties with former Flyers pick Dov Grumet-Morris. Things have gone well for the former Coaticook Frontaliers of the QJAHL, he now leads the ECHL in save percentage and he’s tied for the league lead in shutouts with two.

Also in the organization, Christopher Heino-Lindberg who plays for Farjestad of the Swedish Elite league who has drafted the same year as Halak but went three rounds higher. Heino has been a backup in the SEL for the past two seasons, but this year he’s putting up better numbers then he did last season during his rookie year. Heino is another impressive goaltending prospect, he dominated the tier-2 league as a 19 year old, and displayed good skills at the Canadiens Development camp two summers ago. The Canadiens need to make a decision on Heino and his future with the organization as he needs to be signed by this summer or they lose his rights.

The team also has Loic Lacasse who signed a contract this past summer but was sent back to the QMJHL as an overager in the hopes that working with Patrick Roy would benefit his career. Sadly things have not gone as planned for Lacasse and after some tough starts he has been released from the team and is trying to catch on with another organization. At this point this don’t look very promising for Lacasse especially with all the depth in front of him, but perhaps he will get a shot next year in the ECHL to turn things around. In not he may join some of the other goalie projects that didn’t pan out like Evan Lindsay, Vadim Tarasov, Olivier Michaud, Joni Puurula, and a host of others.

Guest Low Roller

Rumours have it that Guy Carbonneau will keep Maxim Lapierre and not return him to Hamilton... Once Higgins, Souray, and Begin return there will be two extra forwards and two extra defencemen.

Is Streit doing a good enough job on the 4th line? I haven't seen him play yet. Is the new 4th line going to be Lapierre-Begin-Streit?

God bless those Habs. I watched that game listening to the Slip shows I have just seen and feel like I saw nothing. Koivu scored a nice shorthanded goal and Streit got one there Roller but its a loss to me what happened. Heck, they should have lost.

Huet was flopping all over the place and my mind felt the same way as he looked. Something wasnt right and I dont think they played a very good game at all but got a win. I never noticed a shots-on-goal stat but it wasnt good at all in our favour. Let's be serious. Wide-open hockey is great to watch but it could be the death of them if their backend cant handle it.

I mean bad.

Bonk got hit in his right eye/head area by a puck and I dont recall seeing him on the ice after that. There was too many beers and I hit Precious for this game. I knew there was a reason I dont like to smoke and drink and listen to tunes. Hopefully this lesson is a reminder of past ones.

I can say this. I am consistently amazed how Kovalev looks like he is floating but always finds those *spots* on the ice. When he skates, he can still fly yet he doesnt look like he is even trying.

Hooray Huet.

Guest Low Roller
The 2007 U-20 World Juniors are less then two weeks away as fans gear up for one of hockey’s most entertaining tournaments. This year the Canadiens will send four prospects, Carey Price will play for Team Canada; Siarhei Kostitsyn will join Team Belarus for the fourth time, one appearance less then his brother. Juraj Mikus will make his second trip to the WJC’s with Team Slovakia. The lone 2006 draftee Pavel Valenteko is expected to make Team Russia’s roster.

Guillaume Latendresse would have made it five players but with his play since joining Saku Koivu’s line and the injury to Chris Higgins meant the Habs could not afford to lose him for any length of time. Also of note, 2006 draft picks Ben Maxwell and David Fischer were invited to their respective camps for a shot at playing in this year’s tournament. Maxwell was invited to both camps but could not attend the summer camp due to an injury he obtained while at the Canadiens development camp. Maxwell had a decent showing at the selection camp, scoring the winning goal during the first inter squad game, but still found himself among the first round of cuts. Fischer attended Team USA’s only camp over the summer and reports were very positive but he was not able to secure one of the remaining roster spots for this year’s team.

8888.jpgCarey Price

At this time it’s unclear if Carey Price (’05, 5th) will be the starter for Canada as they look for a third straight gold medal, but according to TSN reports, Price was the standout goalie of the tournament. The team will play some prelim games in Finland, so one would expect a starter will be found then if Price isn’t given the go ahead already. The last Hab goalie prospect to get a roster spot with Team Canada was Olivier Michaud who was the backup in 2002. Prior to that it was Mathieu Garon (’96, 44th) who had his fair share of struggles on a rare disappointing Canadian team.

S.Kostitsyn.jpgSiarhei (Sergei) Kostitsyn

Last year’s World Juniors saw Siarhei Kostitsyn ('05, 200th) take his team on his shoulders and carry them back into the top level after helping them win the Division 1B while being named the top player in the tournament along with leading the tournament in scoring. Kostitsyn will make his final appearance at the U-20’s, but it will be interesting to see what sort of impact he will have against the top hockey countries, if he can match the display his brother had against Team USA in one of the biggest upsets of the tournaments history.

Juraj Mikus ('05, 121st) will look to rebound from last years disappointment that saw him fail to produce any points in six games with only one shot and a minus five to boot. Team Slovakia had a very poor tournament overall, ending up in eight place. Mikus has been playing well of late with the Sags, so hopefully he will carry this over to this years WJC’s. At this point it’s unknown in role Mikus will have with the team but he should see increased ice time from last year.

For Team Russia, Pavel Valentenko ('06, 139th) is expected to make the team which would be his first appearance but the official lineup has yet to be released and so far there are no reports out of the camp that is taking place currently. The fact that Valentenko is a regular in the RSL and has played for the Junior National team at the Four Nations and the Remax Challenge last year, should go in his favor in making this years squad. Russia does not seem to have their usual power house lineup, but you can never underestimate them. The Canadiens have been well represented within Team Russia over the last few years with Alexei Emelin, Alexander Perezhogin, Konstantin Korneev, and Andrei Markov who was a First Team All Star at the ’98 tournament.