Jambands.ca

The Gypsy Co-Op is Closed For Good..

shainhouse

from Toronto Star piece on Gypsy Co-op

this is really nicely put:

We let Shqueir have the final word on the Gyspy:

"Everyone has a memory there. That's the thing. And given the circumstances, I don't think I lost much. I do wish I could go in and get a few more sentimental pieces, but if there's anything that the Gypsy represents to a lot of people, it's really memories. You can talk about how it led the way in terms of culture and style and attitude on Queen West, and it was a complete reflection of the neighbourhood, but I can't even tell you how many people were engaged there, or things like the `I am Canadian' commercials that were penned in the dining room, and artists who would sell out stadiums and prefer to hang out there and have a drink or even perform there. There are a lot of memories and magic that will be gone."

When I last lived in Toronto, it was in an apartment above a restaurant a block from the Gypsy. I was 19 and my roommate was a busboy there. I washed dishes and bussed a couple nights myself.

One night when my roomie had just started his job there, there was a big cast party for some movie that sounded dumb and later turned out to be wildly successful I guess, "Mean Girls".

My roommate came home especially late that night, carry a giant white burlap sack full of peanuts over his shoulder, Santa Claus-style. He tells me I won't believe it, there was this party with Lindsey Lohan and Tina Fey, and they gave away all kinds of crazy door-prizes like spa days and trips to places, and the bum prize at the end of the night was a sack of peanuts - still in shells, some kind of cast inside joke. At the end of the night, he's the last guy bussing tables and whoever won the sack has ditched it in the Gypsy, so the manager says, "Hey Dave, you want this sack of nuts?" so Dave brings it on home.

We ate peanuts for a couple days. We had an old dresser in our kitchen, acting as a microwave stand, and secretly Dave decide to fill one of the drawers with peanuts. I find out a couple days later and I was too lazy to do anything about it.

We had a lot of mic that year and got to be good at killing them. The peanut drawer lasted months, I tell you.

Thanks, Gypsy Co-op.

Crap. I've got a lot of fond memories of that place. Met and befriended a lot of people from here there, too. Monday night open-stages there were church. It was a good place.

I believe that's where we met, is it not Dr. EM? Still the most chill vibe I've found in T.O., those Monday night Gypsy-jams. And remember the live action before they built the stage? You could boogie it up right alongside the musicians :) Thanks to Geoff, Jay and eventually William for bringing me round this establishment so often. For those Gypsy-jammers still in the Tdot, keep the evening of Jan. 18th open for a small reunion of sorts; more to come on that.

I believe that's where we met, is it not Dr. EM?

It certainly was! That's where I first crossed paths in real time/space with you, livingstoned, aromatherapy, seraphicserf (Geoff A.), flymykitehigh, mister slippery, William S., boiler rat, Jaydawg, Basher, StonedPhillips, shainhouse, and Canned Beats, too (and sorry if I'm gapping on anyone), of a Monday night. No wonder I still think about the place so much.

Sigh... Well, there we go, it belongs to the ages.

GYPSY RE-UNION TIME!!

maybe JAN 18th @ THE TRANE

hot jammin' action!

January 18th it is. Not sure how "open" the stage will be at Jay's show, but there is definitely a Gypsy-Jam reunion in the works before hand at 1017 (The Trane is across the street). I'm thinking a potluck BBQ/Caleigh will be just the thing to bring back that warm, communal vibe that was ours for so many Mondays past.

All are welcome, please send me a PM for details.