Jambands.ca

Want a Cottage? North Rustico, here I come!!!

Schwa.

Areas with waterfront cottages for $250,000 or less

1. GEORGE'S LAKE, NFLD.

Price: $75,000 to $90,000

The lake, located in the western part of Newfoundland and a 20-minute drive from Corner Brook, has 50-year-old waterfront cottages. George's Lake is known for its salmon fishing and wilderness access.

2. MOLEGA LAKE AREA, N.S.

Price: $120,000 to $140,000

A 90-minute drive from Halifax, Molega Lake is the largest among a number of lakes. You can find a two-bedroom waterfront cottage sitting on an acre of land in this price range. A newer year-round residence on the same lake starts at $225,000.

3. NORTH RUSTICO, PEI

Price: $200,000

About 25 minutes from Charlottetown, North Rustico offers two-bedroom cottages on 50 metres of waterfront.

4. LAKE SELBY, QUE.

Price: $250,000

In the Eastern Townships, an hour's drive from Montreal, Lake Selby is an ecological lake that does not permit use of large motorized water vehicles. You can buy a 100-square-metre cottage with 30 metres of waterfront.

5. LANARK HIGHLANDS, ONT.

Price: $150,000 to $250,000

For the price, you can find a standard cottage in Lanark Highlands in the Rideau Lakes area, with a lot size of 30 x 50 metres with 30 metres of waterfront. The area is an hour from Ottawa.

6. HONEY HARBOUR, ONT.

The most affordable cottages feature 30 metres of waterfront, are quite rustic and are non-winterized. These island properties offer more privacy and are just an hour and a half from Toronto.

7. LAC LU, ONT., NEAR MANITOBA

Price: $250,000 or less

Lac Lu combines three lakes: Sandy Lake, Louise Lake and Lake LuLu. A seasonal cottage on one to two acres, with 30 to 80 metres of water frontage sells for this price. A year-round waterfront cottage sells from $200,000 to $250,000. Lac Lu is a two-hour drive from Winnipeg.

8. ECHO LAKE, SASK.

Neighbouring the small town of Fort Qu'Appelle and a 45-minute commute from Regina, Echo Lake offers year-round waterfront properties priced from $250,000. Lot sizes are approximately 15 x 55 metres and properties are in the 120-square-metre range.

9. LAC STE. ANNE, ALTA.

A 45-minute drive west of Edmonton, Lac Ste. Anne offers a standard 100-square-metre year-round cottage, built in the 1970s.

10. STACK LAKES, B.C.

Price: $200,000 to $250,000

Located in the Bridge Lake area, the Stack Lakes offer cottage seekers year-round recreational properties. Though smaller lakes, boating is still permitted.

I'm comin' Punky!!!!! See ya in 25 years when i retire :)

3. NORTH RUSTICO, PEI

Price: $200,000

About 25 minutes from Charlottetown, North Rustico offers two-bedroom cottages on 50 metres of waterfront.

I'd say this is two minutes away from where peipunk lives. I've been to the hamlet too and it has an excellent pub/restaurant there.

I'm heading to a place called the Rustico Resort for a golf weekend May long weekend.

What is the name of that pub/restaurant and can anyone recommend anything else to check out?

It's on the water in the hamlet. It's the only restaurant in North Rustico. Small in P.E.I. is really small when compared to Ontatio. The restaurant is excellent and you can't miss it. It's on the water down in the bay.

Hopefully we won't have to pay property taxes for our stay at the resort! Ha!

I like golfing but am not a serious golfer. I mostly like the drinking and socializing and outdoors aspects. We are hitting up a couple other courses as well. (crowbush?) The package deal included cabin accomodations and all the golf you can handle. My first time in PEI and I cannot wait to see her.

And... i always smell greasy.

my friend & I bought 26 acres with 775' on the Irondale River and Contau Lake across the road in the Haliburton Highlands for $43 thousand bucks. Three hours from TO and about 3.5/hrs from Ottawa.

I'm going to build my own damn cottage :)

Hey Scott, we we're talking about our yearly canoe journey last week and I believe (but would have to check) part of the route involved the Irondale River, start around Gooderham and finish in or around Kinmount (I think we'll continue on from there). Are you anywhere near Furnace Falls? I know my buddy mentioned that place. Perhaps we'll paddle right by ya.

my friend & I bought 26 acres with 775' on the Irondale River and Contau Lake across the road in the Haliburton Highlands for $43 thousand bucks. Three hours from TO and about 3.5/hrs from Ottawa.

Cowboy's future self-built cottage along with actual photos of Cowboy and family:

Pho43a.jpg

Hey Scott, we we're talking about our yearly canoe journey last week and I believe (but would have to check) part of the route involved the Irondale River, start around Gooderham and finish in or around Kinmount (I think we'll continue on from there). Are you anywhere near Furnace Falls? I know my buddy mentioned that place. Perhaps we'll paddle right by ya.

no shit!

you will definitely paddle by my land.

I'm 5km west of Gooderham (which is on the way to Kinmount).

if it's on a weekend, I'll meet ya at the river with a couple cold 50's :)

it's a really great area..you'll love how private the river still is in some places (like our chunk of shoreline).

(see below)

riverbh9.jpg

you should check out the best movie theatre in the world while you are in Kinmount

Highlands Cinema

Cowboy's future self-built cottage along with actual photos of Cowboy and family:

Pho43a.jpg

:)

that would suit me just fine!

or this one...

hildesoutsidefrontdoor.jpg

This is really weird to come on here and find a thread about where I live!

For the record:

$200,000 is WAY too much for a two bedroom cottage here! There is one for sale on our road for $130,000, and I was told that's a rip off.

There are 5 restaurants in North Rustico. Jaimoe, I think you might be talking about the Blue Mussel Cafe? Just because that's the only one I haven't been to, but I wouldn't describe any of the other ones as a "pubs" or "excellent".

Yes, the diner makes you smell like french fries all day. I still haven't tried the veggie burger, but I had the pancakes on the weekend and they tasted like donuts.

The property taxes are higher for "non-residents". I'm pretty sure that means if your home/cottage on PEI isn't your primary residence, not if you weren't born here.

DBOC, if you're at Rustico Resort, there's a fancy restaurant right nearby called Dayboat. I haven't eaten there yet (fancy!), but I've heard good things (award winning chef, etc.). As far as places I have eaten at, I definitely recommend the Cafe on the Clyde/PEI Preserve Company in New Glasgow, but they're seasonal so they might not be open by the long weekend.

Schwa, awesome pictures! I'm sad you won't be able to make it out here again this summer!

I found my password! I can post!

I've heard good things about it, and I've been meaning to go for a while. Since it's a bit out of the way I always forget that it's there. It's another seasonal one and I always remember in October.