Jambands.ca

Question for dog/cat owners...

Mr. Photogeek

Now that my wife and I have been trying to cut down on our waste and started using re-usable grocery bags we are running into a dilemma. In the past we always used our old plastic bags for picking up the dog crap on our walks and to put dirty litter into when we changed our cats litter...now we are quickly running out of bags, and need some suggestions...I guess the big problem is quantity...twice a week we change the litters, and 4 or 5 times a week we go for walks...so milk bags won't cut it.

Anybody?

i wish you lived closer!! we hardly use plastic bags anymore and yet the bags of the past are so numerous they're peeking out of the kitchen cupboards.

i would go with alexis' first suggestion; there are bound to be people around with bags to get rid of!

I would try switching your cat litter to the crystals/silica version. It only needs to be changed once a month and is fairly easy to clean. There's no dust or ash to deal with and it keeps the smell in check.

Higher cost up front but it pays for itslef in not being a mess to deal with, and you'll be throwing out alot less.

also at the pet store and even some parks i've seen paper scooping bags, they have like a little cardboard scoop to help get it in, and they sell rolls of thin plastic bags, too that have a litle despencer to attact to your leash. there like the bags the news papers come in

Shit dude, we can send you bags. I'll gladly pay the postage. We are drowning in them. Literally. (well, ok, figuratively).

Ottawa refuses to recycle plastic bags now, there is a whole history behind that. If I could get the bags out of here, and those bags could be used to get nasty dog shit out of the park .. everybody wins.

I imagine anybody in Ottawa or other cities which have adopted such bullshit strapped-for-public-cash policies (and who don't feel comfortable throwing them in the trash, even though that is the only solution the city has left you..) has a similar overload. Really, really, really, I can't wait to send you some plastic bags.

PM me your address, I'll foot the bill. Hell, I'll give you a dime for every bag that you take.

Could you use a reusable bucket for the cat instead of plastic bags? Like a kid's sand pail or something, then dump it and wash it when you're done.

When I was a kid there was a guy in my neighbourhood with a big furry sheepdog, who would stick a plastic cup under the dog's butt as soon as he crouched down into the pooping position. Not sure if it would be easy to train a dog to be okay with that, but it sure was amusing to watch.

just donbt pick it up. I always bring a bag just in case some one watched me or says somthing, but i never ever ever ic up atfer my dog, nev er have for any of my dogs

Why don't you post your address so we can all come wipe our feet on your doorstep when we step in your dog's shit.

now we are quickly running out of bags, and need some suggestions...

We often forget to bring a bag (or don't have one), and we usually just find one on the ground somewhere along the walk. It's a sad state of affairs when you can count on litter so regularly, but at least we are helping a bit by picking some up...

2 ideas:

I worked at the Beer Store for years and we took in millions of bags, if you asked i'm willing to bet that they would shoot you as many as you wanted (at least i would)

bring a very small shovel or garden tool, lift up a small portion of the grass, deposit poop in hole, cover up with grass you just lifted :)

Hah! I called the shit, poo!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...Howler, that was exactly what I was looking for. We have also started to use other peoples bags as well (over the weekend we have recruited friends and family to get us bags...have to try the beer store too). AdamH - we have always wondered about the silica litter...maybe now is a good time to try. D-Rawk...I will PM you my info, but if you can find a local outlet that would probably be much better for you...another place that tends to need plastic bags are day-care facilities.

Thanks everyone!

Now that my wife and I have been trying to cut down on our waste and started using re-usable grocery bags we are running into a dilemma. In the past we always used our old plastic bags for picking up the dog crap on our walks and to put dirty litter into when we changed our cats litter...now we are quickly running out of bags, and need some suggestions...I guess the big problem is quantity...twice a week we change the litters, and 4 or 5 times a week we go for walks...so milk bags won't cut it.

Anybody?

if you own your own property dig a hole in the ground, put a mesh screen over it ,then dump all you want it is good fertilizer and food for worms