Jambands.ca

Great speech by Obama today

phorbesie

I was just gonna post this

The combination of his speechwriters, his views and (presumable) edits to those speeches, his tone and delivery, his overall speaking style... I don't think I've ever heard a better speaker in my lifetime.

I don't know much about his policies or politics, but he's got the communication thing down pat.

Having spent a number of years working in inner cities with populations with large African American and Hispanic populations I found his comments on the mark. I'm not infering that I'm an expert on minority issues or anything. There is a lot to celebrate with respect to the economic progress that minorities have made in recent years but at the same time (rightly so) there is still a lot of bitterness in these communities toward 'white America. it seems that Obama could go a long way in his ability to bring together the great divide that seperates Americans.

*As far as being Americas next president I'm not a big fan of 'liberal economics' but GWB has not really lived up to my standards of 'econmical conservativism'. I'll stop now before this turns into a blog...

I was just gonna post this

The combination of his speechwriters, his views and (presumable) edits to those speeches, his tone and delivery, his overall speaking style... I don't think I've ever heard a better speaker in my lifetime.

I don't know much about his policies or politics, but he's got the communication thing down pat.

I thought he wrote this one himself

he's losing traction. quickly.

Indeed. A sterling, shining campaign is in dangerous 'clusterfuck' territory. That said, I'm not sure that it matters. Clinton is chin-deep in clusterfuck. Obama still shines in contrast.

And so it was that on Tuesday the 18th of March 2008, at 11:00 am, a politician spoke to the American people about race as if they were adults.

Brilliant. It is amazing how touching down into a modicum of sincerity can a winning candidate make. People have been begging for it since .. fuck .. JFK? All it took was for someone to deliver it.

When I was a studious and diligent political science student (seems so long ago!) I once collected every copy of every American political speech that had a) been recorded or transcribed and B) been made available in the public domain. There have been some tremendous, ground breaking, even - on rare occasion - heart-wrenching speeches made from either the President's office or from Presidential candidates. There has been a serious dearth of them in contemporary times (though Clinton flirted with depth, sometimes, but always managed to skirt it in favour of a more expedient populism). Obama is daring to deliver something more sophisticated than what everyone assumed the electorate was prepared to digest. Godspeed.

From the late 90's, I've been saying that one day Hillary Clinton will run for president, and that when Hillary Clinton runs, Hillary Clinton wins. I was correct in that she ran, it is beginning to look as though I was incorrect in that she wins. I increasingly hope so.