Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Toronto Sun, the Maple Leafs have been fined $500,000 and have to give up their upcoming fourth-round draft pick for violating the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The NHL slapped the Leafs with the fine for paying rookie defenseman Jonas Frogren a $755,000 signing bonus, which violates the CBA.

Leafs GM Brian Burke refused to discuss the matter publicly.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs acknowledge and apologize for the error of judgment," he said in a press release. "The club accepts the punishment handed down by the League and will not be commenting further on the matter."

The Sun claims part of his bonus was used to get him out of his contract with Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League.

I heard about this the other day. The comments are interesting:

"The Toronto Maple Leafs acknowledge and apologize for the error of judgment," he said in a press release. "The club accepts the punishment handed down by the League and will not be commenting further on the matter."

It's like he's determined that the penalty was well within the realm of getting the job done and doing business. It'll be interesting to see if that sort of fine is increased in the future ;)

Really, what's a 4th round pick worth anyhow?

I heard about this the other day. The comments are interesting:

It's like he's determined that the penalty was well within the realm of getting the job done and doing business. It'll be interesting to see if that sort of fine is increased in the future ;)

Really, what's a 4th round pick worth anyhow?

Apparently it's worth $500,000, based on how much salary Toronto took on from Tampa Bay at the trade deadline in order to get a 4th round pick.

• 2 months later...

Or maybe he's going for something else:

Kevin McGran, Toronto Star:

Brian Burke is about to begin remaking the Toronto Maple Leafs and will use every tool in his arsenal – draft picks, salary cap space and trades – to build a team that will hit and fight.

"Our goal is to make the playoffs next year, we're going to have to make some changes to do it," Burke said yesterday. "We're going to be a different team.

"I like a lot of hitting. I like a lot of fighting. We have a passive group. All year long, when a trainer was on the ice – it was always our trainer– that really bothered me.

"It will be a more hostile group in the fall."

Burke said he didn't care that neither the Pittsburgh Penguins nor the Detroit Red Wings – the last two Stanley Cup winners –could be described as hard-hitting or fighting teams.

"I don't give a rat's ass what they do in Pittsburgh or Detroit," said Burke. "There's been four different Cup winners the last four years, and I got one of them (Anaheim) and it was a fighting team. We're playing it that way regardless."

Friday looms as a key opportunity for Burke to start turning his team around. Holding the seventh overall pick in Friday night's first round of the entry draft, he still remains committed to trying to move up to pick John Tavares.

"This guy is a natural goal scorer," Burke said. "You can teach hockey players just about everything. You can improve every area of skill. You can make him a better skater. You can make him stronger. But you can't teach him to score.

"This kid is going to be a big-time player. He's got a nose for the net. He'll pay a price to score. He's dominated at every level he's played at."

Burke expects it could take until the moment before the New York Islanders choose first overall before any deal gets finalized, as had happened before with Burke deals to land Chris Pronger (in Hartford) and the Sedin twins (in Vancouver).

"Teams haven't said they won't move the pick," said Burke. "Most of them have said they don't like my price. We'll see how it goes, we'll keep banging away at it."

Burke said he wasn't going to fall into the trap that had befuddled so many other Leaf GMs – he promised not to trade young players for veterans. "We're going to keep the long-term blue print," said Burke.

At the same time however, he suggested that in order to move up in the draft, he might have to trade draft picks. If he did, he'd try to reacquire picks immediately.

"I hate trading picks," said Burke. "Right now, I'm probably in a position where I'll probably have to do it. But if we trade picks, I'll probably try to get some back. I like our scouts to be busy on draft day. They worked hard all year."

But Friday is important on another matter. The no-trade clauses for both defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Pavel Kubina temporarily expire. From draft day until mid-August, either can be traded. Burke said he's had nibbles for both, but said it was "too early to say" whether one, or both, would be moved.

Kubina earns $5 million (all figures U.S.) a year, Kaberle $4.25 million. Both have offensive ability, Kubina has a bit more grit.

Burke has a fair bit of cap space – about $12 million – with Mikhail Grabovski the only significant unsigned restricted free agent. Burke expects to be able to use his cap space to help him make trades by acquiring overpriced players.

"It's a function of teams who have made some decisions they'd like to have back, some concern about where the salary cap is going," said Burke. "But I believe teams that have cap room will be able to take advantage of that." The Leafs also have a hole at back-up goaltending, though Burke hopes to land Swedish free agent Jonas Gustavsson.

"When I do go to mass on Sunday I pray for help at the goaltending position," Burke told an audience at the North America Cup draw. "We had a tough year in net. Our goaltending wasn't good enough. But Vesa Toskala has had three surgical procedures. We're counting on him to be our starter, and be healthy, and get the job done."

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke may be targeting the Atlanta Thrashers' fourth overall pick in NHL draft, the Globe and Mail reported Thursday.

Thrashers GM Don Waddell, a friend of Burke, told the paper he's been exchanging ideas with his Leafs counterpart, who holds the seventh pick.

"We're certainly going to look at the trade market, but we've had no serious offers," Waddell said. "We have talked to everyone. He has a better chance of getting to number 1 if he already had the [number] 4."

Waddell, who told Toronto all-sports radio station the Fan on Thursday morning that he will continue to hold talks with Burke, was referring to the Leafs' desire to trade for the top overall pick, currently owned by the New York Islanders.

Two months ago, Burke expressed great interest in trying to deal up and land consensus No. 1 pick John Tavares of the OHL's London Knights.

If the Islanders and Tampa Bay Lightning - the NHL clubs drafting first and second - keep their picks, Burke's other plan would be to trade with the Thrashers and pick Brandon Wheat Kings forward Brayden Schenn, the younger brother of Toronto blue-liner Luke Schenn, the Globe and Mail reports.

Brayden Schenn is considered a talented and hard-working centre with little weakness in his game.

The Los Angeles Kings, choosing fifth, are also reportedly interested in taking Schenn, which is why Burke might be seeking to leapfrog the California team by dealing with Atlanta.

Burke doesn't expect to make a trade prior to the draft, but will keep speaking with teams.

"I will tell you quite candidly that I haven't gotten anywhere on this," Burke told the Globe and Mail. "But I don't get discouraged easily, and in hockey terms it's still early.

"We will keep throwing some things at other teams, and we have further meetings scheduled."

I don’t know how to say this. Bear with me while I get myself together.

Luke Schenn has admitted recently that he doesn’t know the names of any of the Beatles. Schenn had taken in a performance of Cirque du Soleil’s “Loveâ€, which is based on the music of the Beatles, playing at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas. Afterwards, Schenn was asked by an inquisitive reporter if he could name any of the Beatles. “No, not even close,†admitted the young Toronto Maple Leaf’s star.

How can this be? Or, the question is, do most 20 year’s old not know the names of the Beatles?

Say for the sake of argument that he’s never heard of George Harrison and Ringo Starr because he’s young. But surely he’s heard the names Paul McCartney and John Lennon. Or maybe just Paul McCartney, because he’s still out there working. John was killed in 1980, nine years before Schenn was born, but you have to think that Schenn would’ve at least heard the name growing up.

I’m having a hard time with this. I suppose there’s only one real explanation.

He’s a Leaf.

One of the Losers on the opening of free agency. Way to go Burke!

GM Brian Burke gets a minus for giving Colton Orr a four-year deal alone, but we’ll backburner that and instead focus on the letdown of accomplishing nothing more than acquiring a pair of rough and tumble blueliners (Mike Komisarek and Garnet Exelby) who can’t score worth a lick. Expectations (see, Sedins) were high Toronto would add additional scoring punch, but those hopes went for naught on Day 1.

Yes, the Blue and White will leave teams black and blue next season, but PIMs don’t win games. Goals do.

I really wish we traded for Scott Gomez. Such a good salary 7.5 million!

Scott Gomez

2008-09 NYR 77 games 16 goals 42 assists 58 points -2

Burke Played It Smart On Canada Day

Howard Berger

TORONTO (July 2) – If you want to blame Brian Burke for anything in his initial foray into free agency on behalf of the Maple Leafs, perhaps suggest that he change travel agents. It turns out his flight of desperation to Sweden arrived too late to head off the Sedin twins. By the time he arrived in Stockholm, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin had re-upped with the Vancouver Canucks, leaving Burke to perhaps pay a consolation visit to goaltending prospect Jonas Gustavsson.

Otherwise, the Leafs’ general manager accomplished all that he legitimately could in the market frenzy. Had he been able to spirit the Sedins out of Vancouver, Burke might have placed the Leafs in a position to add another skilled player or two. But, once the Canucks locked up the twins, he lost any shot at signing the likes of Mike Cammalleri or Brian Gionta – both of whom followed Scott Gomez to a more talented outfit in Montreal. As such, Burke concentrated on his initial plan to add fangs to a Toronto club that has been woefully meek since the days Tie Domi, Gary Roberts, Shayne Corson and Darcy Tucker were running Ottawa’s more gifted skaters out of the Air Canada Centre and Scotiabank Place.

The additions of Colton Orr, Garnet Exelby and Michael Komisarek did nothing to improve the Maple Leafs’ artistry, or likely their position in the Eastern Conference standings. But, rest assured the club will not go down without a fight in games next season – literally and figuratively. As well, Burke pulled off a major coup in unloading Pavel Kubina’s $5 million salary for 2009-10, though the Buds will probably miss the veteran defenseman’s classy leadership and stubbornness in defeat.

“Kuby†is one of the finest citizens to pass through the Maple Leafs’ locker room in recent years, though I’m not certain the loyalty he expressed toward the team at the trade deadline in March was rewarded by a one-way ticket to Atlanta. It’s probably safe to assume that Pavel wouldn’t have waived his no-movement clause to join the woebegone Thrashers, but that’s where former GM John Ferguson played it smartly in signing Kubina as a free agent and extending Tomas Kaberle. He assured that neither player controlled his destiny in the event the Leafs’ repeatedly missed the playoffs. Burke was therefore able to peddle Kubina to the team that offered him the best return.

The upgrade in toughness could have a spin-off effect as it pertains to Gustavsson, who probably understands he won’t win a Stanley Cup in any of Toronto, Colorado or Dallas next season. But, the “Monster†now knows that opposition players will not be allowed to storm his crease without retribution should he sign with the Blue & White. If I know Burke, he has probably hammered home that point in the past 12 hours to Gustavsson and his handlers. Exelby and Komisarek add a large dose of meanness to the Toronto blue-line, though Komisarek will likely drive Leaf fans a little crazy when he handles the puck in his own zone. But, no future hall-of-fame defensemen were available on the open market this summer, so Burke wisely opted for nastiness.

What I like most about these moves relates to my oft-stated theory about the Leafs heading into next season. None of Burke’s signings removes or diminishes opportunity for the club’s young players to skate regularly for Ron Wilson and prove – legitimately – what they can or cannot do at the NHL level.

For the first time in many years, the Leafs have a promising crop of youngsters that includes Luke Schenn, Anton Stralman, Christian Hanson, Tyler Bozak, Jiri Tlusty, Mikhail Grabovski (if retained), Nikolai Kulemin, Dale Mitchell and Chris Didomenico, who was impressive for Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships last winter. Still-young veteran Ian White can be included in this group, along with second-year NHLer John Mitchell. Gustavsson would further abet the list. Burke and Wilson have nothing to lose and everything to gain by allowing these fellows a chance to mature as full-time skaters in the big league.

Burke’s rather frequent wish to make the playoffs next season is probably akin to having his fingers crossed in Lotto-649, but the abovementioned players – as a group – are largely an unknown quantity. Who’s to say, for certain, they will not form a useful chemistry in conjunction with the abrasiveness Burke added to the line-up on Wednesday? It is well worth giving a try in 2009-10.

As it stands, the Leafs still have almost $10 million in cap space – a useful cushion heading into the season and toward the trade deadline next March. In my opinion, the purging of Kubina from the roster should have no impact on Burke’s effort to field trade proposals for Kaberle, who stands as his only true bartering gem this summer. If he can exchange Kaberle for another promising youngster, the Leafs will be even better off two and three years down the line, which is where the club is realistically aiming.

All in all, I’d say double-B has the Maple Leafs on the right track. Continue to be patient. The time will ultimately arrive for the Leafs’ GM to get involved in high-end maneuvering.

E-mail howard.berger@rci.rogers.com

• 3 weeks later...
Leafs, Flames make multiplayer deal

CBC Sports

27/07/2009 7:48:42 PM

The Toronto Maple Leafs sent two players and a late draft pick to the Calgary Flames on Monday in exchange for veteran Wayne Primeau and a second-round draft pick.

The Flames receive defenceman Anton Stralman, who turns 23 later this week. The Swede has scored four goals and 18 assists in 88 games over parts of two seasons with the Leafs.

Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke had indicated in recent days the team had a glut of defencemen and would need to move one or two after acquiring Francois Beauchemin, Mike Komisarek, and Garnet Exelby.

Also heading west is Colin Stuart, who along with Exelby was just acquired on July 1 from Atlanta in exchange for Pavel Kubina.

The older brother of Boston defenceman Mark Stuart, he scored eight goals with the Thrashers - four of them short-handed - to go along with five assists in 51 games.

Stuart follows recent waiver acquisition Nigel Dawes as Flames general manager Darryl Sutter looks to complement his top two forward lines with affordable depth players.

Calgary also receives a seventh-round pick in the 2012 draft.

The six-foot-three Primeau has been bedeviled by foot and ankle injuries over the past two seasons, appearing in just 67 games over that span.

The 33-year-old has also played for Boston, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Buffalo. He has scored 66 goals and 120 assists in 715 games, with 754 penalty minutes.

Toronto will also receive Calgary's second-round pick in the 2011 NHL entry draft.

Link