Jambands.ca

Ubuntu

bouche

i setup an old pc with ubuntu as an experiment. it is clearly a great way to reclaim old hardware. it really has all the basics for getting on the internet, and dealing with music, photos, etc. I don't know why we have to pay for a bloated windows when MS could easily compete with Open source using a free basic version of windows.

Damn, if they just matched all the basics feature for feature and they'd kill.

Ubuntu is Debian flavored linux. Myself, I prefer novell's SUSE flavors but at work I use Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, SUSE, Fedora, pretty much all the linux distro flavors. We even have our own custom linux distro that powers our embedded box.

Great thing? They're all linux so if you use one, you can use the other. The window system you use is either going to be Gnome or KDE (Ubuntu would use gnome, Kubuntu is the KDE optimized version, I prefer KDE but it's not as stable). There are others but you most likely won't ever see them.

If you play around a bit you'll find that if you can forgive the not quite as nice looking gui, there's no reason at all to use MS windows. Hardware compatibility for Linux blows MS out of the water (yeah, it might be a little harder to get the hardware running but there isn't much hardware out there that won't run on linux, PAE (physical address extension: use more than 4gigs ram on a 32 bit system) actually works, it's much safer and all the programming tools you can imagine can be installed free. Throw in scripting and MS doesn't even compete (how many times have you done a repetitive task like rename a whole poopload of files, write a script in five minutes and let it work it's magic).

If you have any questions, pop em off, I'll be glad to give you a hand...

I've recently set up a couple of old boxes with linux and a newer box, a 500mhz, 667mhz and a 2.0ghz.

The 500mhz machine has Xubunutu on it, but won't sleep properly. The 667mhz is running really well on Xubuntu. I had installed regular Ubuntu on the 2ghz machine but it was really sloggin because the Gnome desktop needs more than 256mb ram. So I changed the desktop to XFCE which is what Xubuntu uses. Huge performance increase, runs really well and Mame works awesome! Unfortunately It won't sleep either though.

In the end it looks like the old pentium III wins. It is my kitchen newspaper and retro arcade console (mame). It goes to sleep nicely and wakes pretty quickly making it the ideal kitchen terminal. No need to reboot.

What I'm really loving about Linux is the sort of do it yourself modular approach to an OS. It can basically be exactly what you want your computer to be. However the learning curve is quite high when trouble shooting hardware that doesn't work out of the box. Like usb wifi and some other assorted strangeness... All in all though 2 thumbs up!

It's the feel good OS of the year. hehe

I think the thing is that it's free... You don't have to worry about cracks, codes, validation etc... It's great for running a lot of open source apps that aren't available for windows yet. It's excellent on older machines (I think this will prove to be a major market for linux). It's safer than windows so you have to worry less about security. And because the open source community is always making things better, the OS and apps get feature updates, security patches, and bug fixes on a very regular basis.

If you absolutely need M$ or other proprietary programs then you probably have to stick with windows. But if you curious about trying something new and willing to try free open source software alternatives then linux is a great way to go. It's a do it yourself modular approach to an OS. It makes your computer exactly what you want it to be.

Well, it's open source, I pretty much have my PC running completely as a mac currently with Wine installed as well so I can run most Windows applications as well. You can just access the terminal and change whatever you want in Ubuntu, At first blush it seems to be an average OS, but play with with for a while, it'll grow on you..."that's what she said".

It's the feel good OS of the year. hehe

I think the thing is that it's free... You don't have to worry about cracks, codes, validation etc... It's great for running a lot of open source apps that aren't available for windows yet. It's excellent on older machines (I think this will prove to be a major market for linux). It's safer than windows so you have to worry less about security. And because the open source community is always making things better, the OS and apps get feature updates, security patches, and bug fixes on a very regular basis.

If you absolutely need M$ or other proprietary programs then you probably have to stick with windows. But if you curious about trying something new and willing to try free open source software alternatives then linux is a great way to go. It's a do it yourself modular approach to an OS. It makes your computer exactly what you want it to be.

i've never worried about cracks, codes or validation. What's the best game that you can play on a Linux OS that isn't a MAME ROM?

I'm running xubuntu as my home server and debian on my desktop. All play well with my XP laptop and the squeeze network i have set up for streaming lossless tunes through my house.

The biggest upside of open source software for me is the comunity support. If I have a networking issue or can't get a gimp plugin to work or any other kind of tech issue I can without a doubt find an answer in a forum somewhere. With windows that support isn't there, it "buy the upgrade" or use a different program".

Another great factor is that its free. No more cracked warez... need a photo editor, get gimp for free, does everythong I could ever do with photoshop; media players there dozens, tivo - free, full devlopment suite - free. Mind you, they can take some futzin to get going the way you like, but thats part of the fun.

{plus it feels just a little subversive}

• 2 weeks later...

I installed it today and am liking it so far.... a few things I'm trying to work through but it seems pretty cool.

One thing that makes it very cool is the quick ability to search for and install apps to match the OS. Very slick....

At this point I don't do much on a computer aside from entertainment so there was no reason NOT to try it out. The online forums and support seems to be very strong as well.

For those looking for something new, this is my first venture into a non M$ OS environment and it has been mostly painless! Give it a go...

I've tried installing Ubuntu on an old PC a number of times and the process hangs about 5 minutes into installation. Have tried various versions and flavours but no luck. Disappointing.

bring that pc over. i'll make you a killer dinner and we can setup up that old machine somehow. If there is a problem with a component (ram, or HD) I probably have a spare.