Jambands.ca

Jimmy Fallon's progress

zero

All told I'd say he's doing pretty well. It feels like late night is reinvigorated. I give a lot of credit to the Roots though, their theme with it's junglish riffing is very prescient and their intros and outros just rock. That said the Roots from what I can see is just Black Thought and ?uestlove, they seem to have added a guitarist, the white guy bassist and bassoon player. I haven't seen the Roots in a while but I'm thinking of their classic four piece with the cigar chomping bass player and whatshisname on keys. I should remember their names I met them, hung out on their tour bus etc. when I was seventeen.

i've only seen the first episode and well, it could have been better, but it was his first show. the deniro interview was bizarre, the lick it for $10 had the wrong items to lick. Anyone can lick a brand new lawn mower.

he was on stern today, but I haven't heard the segment.

I'm thinking of their classic four piece with the cigar chomping bass player and whatshisname on keys.

Hub left a few years ago. Kamal is apparently still with them, although maybe he's not if you didn't see him with the rest of the band on TV

I haven't seen him in the TV appearances. He struck me as a very severe and serious dude when I met him (Kamal I mean). I can see him not being into the whiteman house band trip. The guitarist they have has obviously been added as he seems like he's got a whole range of chops suited to that sort of gig, likewise with the white young guy bass player and the brass player.

From what I understand the "original" line-up for the Roots wayyyyyy back had a white dude on the bass, this was when they were in art school together... "Pass the popcorn" comes to mind. The guitarist is probably Captain Kirk... check out the two CD set they put out a couple of years back as a retrospective for a wicked jam of three tunes crammed into fifteen minutes of fun, and it weighs a ton. I haven't seen the show yet, but if it ain't w/ Malik B then it ain't the REAL Roots :)

this week was particularly entertaining. Aside from Glen Hansard covering REM's Hair Shirt, the Diggnation guys were on the show wednesday and it was hilarious. Russell Brand was on earlier, and he's nutz. Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht basically simulated Diggnation on Fallon. They all pulled out laptops and beers and went through a sample story like they would on the web show. Alex: You just stole my story!

By far, the funniest interview of the week was Tracey Morgan's appearance. Holy Shit, that was pure comedic gold. If you haven't seen it, download that shit. here's a sample

Conan was an unknown and had lots of time to find his groove. I don't know if Fallon will have the same luxury. Ratings for Conan's show were on the decline - he routinely got beat by Ferguson's show of second-tier guests and non-HD format. We'll see how this uncomfortable Fallon fairs going up against Ferguson for the long-haul.