Jambands.ca

Trey's playing

zero

So call me what you like but I didn't get around to listening to any of Hampton until today and was pleasantly impressed with the evolution in Trey's playing in particular.

I guess he still had all the shit hot licks and nailed all the progged out details but he also had a bit of a maybe you'd call it grind at other points. And his line improvisationally just seems a little more novel and inspired. Wondered what people thought. Or maybe in the other guys playing.

I think that they were well practiced. There were a few very noticeable flubbs (Hydrogen made me cringe), but, overall, I think they played the fuck out of a ton of difficult shit. I'm looking forward to hearing them after they have a bunch of shows under their belt. The improvs in Hampton were short and sweet but I am excited to see where they are going to go when they start stretching out. Trey especially.

I felt like they were all really locked into each other. That feeling of synchronicity that had been missing for so long is back. They've all walked in a few different pairs of shoes over the past few years and you can tell there's a new level of maturity to their playing along with some new tones, styles and sounds. I'm really psyched to see where they head from here...

I'm interested in what tunes thought Trey sounded the strongest, I know what you mean about short and sweet. The Rift for instance had a unique jam coming out of it. The Piper was maybe a bit perfunctory. The Weekapaug hammers like you'd expect.

Where did Trey really reach?

I thought there was some very obvious rust throughout. But the entire run had the "feel" that reminded me of why I love this band so much. I can't wait to hear them after they really get back into the groove this summer. Come on Darien!!!!

Come on, it's all about Page here people.

I completely agree. I believe that is the greatest difference between now and the last then. Confidence is in the key of C.

But keeping within the theme of this thread, check out Heavy Things from the 2nd night. I pretty near shit my pants when I heard that solo from Trey. Oooooma goooooma.

I trust Weirdness on almost all matters musical but I guess Page's playing is just so on point that it shakes off some of that rust people mentioned rendering him a little in the background. I put that stupidly but I guess with Page every note is exactly where you expect it to be i.e. well rehearsed but also a bit transparent for that reason.

Which tunes then did Page really reach out on improvisationally or just render particularly strongly. He sounds great on the Punch I'm listening to right now.

What else other than the Heavy Things jam standout for people about Trey's playing?

.... funny the next tune on my player was that Heavy Things. I can see what you mean about his playing it's just shithot. I guess I see what people mean about Jerryish but that sort of implies elder statesman like to and he's got some of that going for him.

Fuck this is Good!

....and yes a little Jerryish or maybe Kimocky?

Edited by Guest

I am finally getting to the third night and have to post because I am absolutely loving this re-designed Undermind.

It's a clavinet special from Page with some great rythm work from Trey before he starts to take off a little bit. That's some goodfucking pizza!

I am finally getting to the third night and have to post because I am absolutely loving this re-designed Undermind.

It's a clavinet special from Page with some great rythm work from Trey before he starts to take off a little bit. That's some goodfucking pizza!

Yeah, I am also loving Undermind.