Jambands.ca

Drive-By Truckers at The Phoenix Sun. Nov. 8th

NewRider

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opening band both sucked and blowed! They were terrible!

Thanks for sufferring through that opening set. What an awful choice. Why were they in? They had a couple of lyrics where whisky is mentioned ... pfft.

Good times at the show once the DBT started for sure. Amazing having so much room to move around and still have a room that had energy and was into the show considering it was a corp deal.

I don't know if it was the energy-draining opener, but I found this DBT show didn't really start to burn on all cylinders until about halfway through. It seemed untypically mellow up to that point. When they kick it in to full on rock show mode there's nothin' like it.

Great seeing a bunch of people from these parts there. What other show that comes through here has a band mascot in the crowd (NewRider, they need to hire you ).

Congrats on winning the guitar Boiler Rat! Nice to see a killer prize like that going to somebody who really appreciates it. Awesome :)

I won a hat but got sick of holding it. Who knows where it wound up...

Retarded question though: What does 'Jack on the rocks" refer to? What does anything on the rocks refer to? Crack' date=' baby! Yeah...[/quote']

Jack Daniels with ice.

Dude, you missed my point. I didn't win the hat for saying 'Crack.' I know it's ice. Anything on the rocks is ice. Just a retarded, not very Jack Daniels-esque, question...

I won a hat but got sick of holding it. Who knows where it wound up...

Retarded question though: What does 'Jack on the rocks" refer to? What does anything on the rocks refer to? Crack' date=' baby! Yeah...[/quote']

Jack Daniels with ice.

Dude, you missed my point. I didn't win the hat for saying 'Crack.' I know it's ice. Anything on the rocks is ice. Just a retarded, not very Jack Daniels-esque, question...

huh?

:)

I think Pizza Deliverance was their "Exile on Main St." The songs on it are incredible but the album could have been better produced. The songs "The Company I Keep", "Tales Facing Up", "Bulldozers and Dirt" are some of my favorite songs they ever wrote. Decoration Day is also one of their best albums.

As far as live shows go, you would have to ask Esau. I only download SBD shows mostly. I've never heard a bad show with the exception of the two night run at the 9:30 Club this spring. Patterson was sick and Cooley got super drunk on stage. It's pretty fucking funny to listen to though!

Can someone recommend (*cough* NewRider *cough*) some DBT albums? I have 'The Dirty South' and 'Brighter Than Creations Dark.' Love both of them, the former more than the latter. Where do I go from here?

I would also add to the studio albums already suggested 'Southern Rock Opera' - it's live, it kicks ass. I love it.

As for live shows, these are the show that get a lot of play and I have bookmarked (plus all the Canadian shows):

The Underground (300 person venue) - 2006-10-17 Hamilton, Ontario (SBD/AUD) Great recording, although the track listing is off a bit.

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2006-10-17.CK93.SBD.shnf

2004-07-29 Charlotte,NC

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2004-07-29.matrix.flac16

2005-08-27 Tuscaloosa Alabama (serious southern rock show)

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2005-08-27.pvm480.flac16

Cooley's House 2003-12-29 (all acoustic, private deal) Just a real fun recording to listen to.

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2003-12-29.akg483.flac16

Honestly, I have a ton of live shows bookmarked and could make a fairly large list, my best advice to start out is, look for the most reviewed or downloaded shows on archive and go from there. Joining or lurking over at nine bullets forum is a good idea too.

Hell, now I wanna get drunk