Jambands.ca

Poutine Crawl

AD

So I'm registered in a poutine crawl this Saturday afternoon. Pretty excited. Plus it's an event for charity so there's TWO good things going on.

Here's where the crawl is going:

Stops will include Murray Street’s spatzle poutine with shredded mariposa duck confit and roast duck gravy; as well as the Courtyard Restaurant for another duck gravy poutine; Zak’s dinner and Garlic Corner for a traditional take on the classic; Dunn’s smoke meat poutine, Island Flava for a jerk chicken poutine and D’Arcy McGees for a Guinness gravy poutine.

Only 30 spots available. Click here for more details and for links to sign up

So I'm registered in a poutine crawl this Saturday afternoon. Pretty excited. Plus it's an event for charity so there's TWO good things going on.

Here's where the crawl is going:

Stops will include Murray Street’s spatzle poutine with shredded mariposa duck confit and roast duck gravy; as well as the Courtyard Restaurant for another duck gravy poutine; Zak’s dinner and Garlic Corner for a traditional take on the classic; Dunn’s smoke meat poutine, Island Flava for a jerk chicken poutine and D’Arcy McGees for a Guinness gravy poutine.

Only 30 spots available. Click here for more details and for links to sign up

With a quick stop along the way at Ottawa General for defibrilisation.

I posted this on OttawaFoodies

This was a great event! Well organized, friendly, for a great cause and delicious.

Correct me if I make mistakes, hard to remember everything, but here's the rundown on what was served:

Stop 1 - Zaks. Breakfast poutine. Homefries, cheese curds, hollandaise sauce and a sprinkle of paprika. Not really all that good. Tasted fine, but wasn't really a poutine.

Stop 2 - Courtyard Restaurant. Thin crispy fries, duck gravy, duck confit, foie gras torchon. Tasted amazing. Was a little disappointed that the foie gras was revealed to be in the dish only after I'd started eating (ethical issues), but this was by far my favourite poutine of the day.

Stop 3 - Garlic Corner. Normal poutine. Thin fries, cheese curds, gravy. Average. Didn't register though when compared to the others on the crawl.

Stop 4 - Murray Street. No fries, instead spätzle, shredded mariposa duck confit, roast duck gravy, Glengarry “Fen Squeaks†cheese curds. I didn't like the spätzle, but everything else in the dish was super delicious. Beautiful restaurant too, and Chef Mitton explained the origin of the dish and how the restaurant works.

Stop 5 - Dunn's. Thin crispy fries, some sort of gravy, small chunks of smoked meat and curds. Very salty. Average.

Stop 6 - Island Flava. Thin crispy fries, gravy, curds, and jerk chicken chunks. The jerk chicken made this poutine super delicious. I will definitely have this again.

Stop 7 - D’Arcy McGee's. Advertised as a Guinness poutine. I had to leave (who knew eating so much poutine would take longer than expected, hehe) so I didn't try this variety.

Paola from C'est Bon Cooking did a great job of leading the tour.

Thanks to everyone who put this together. Great times.

• 2 months later...

This week's Ottawa XPress has a not-very-favourable review of Smoke's Poutinerie.

Prices at Smoke's are expensive for what you get. At nearly $10 for the regular, a greasy dinner here adds up fast. For my money, I'd head to any other casse-croûte or chip truck in the city. Though you may not find as much choice, at least the flavour will be authentically Canadian.

She also notes

The music is all hair metal all the time, and includes such gems as Cherry Pie by Warrant and Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi.

Aloha,

Brad