Jambands.ca

PHiSH = Nostalgia Act?

skelter

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are empirically bad shows (i.e. Coventry).

There are empirically good shows.

Most shows are somewhere in the middle and they are deemed bad or good based on taste, opinion, feeling, preference, drugs taken, friends you were with at the time etc etc etc.

I choose not to debate the minutiae of these shows that hover in the neverland between perfect and ear-bleedingly-horrid.

Do I enjoy listening to it? Fuck yeah.

Did I have a good time? YEAH!

Were there really bad notes & messed up lyrics & self-indulgent noodling? Yeah? Oops!! Next song please!

Basically, I'm just happy to be in a position to go and enjoy the whole experience. Suck the juice, baby!

That's just me.

That being said, I fully respect the right and, more importantly, the unmitigated passion & unworldly knowledge, of the folks who DO choose to debate, discuss & dissect every morsel of music that Phish masticates and spits out at the world - it's impressive, to say the least.

And as long as they keep playing, I'll keep going.

Rock on, people!

There are empirically bad shows (i.e. Coventry).

There are empirically good shows.

Most shows are somewhere in the middle and they are deemed bad or good based on taste, opinion, feeling, preference, drugs taken, friends you were with at the time etc etc etc.

I choose not to debate the minutiae of these shows that hover in the neverland between perfect and ear-bleedingly-horrid.

Do I enjoy listening to it? Fuck yeah.

Did I have a good time? YEAH!

Were there really bad notes & messed up lyrics & self-indulgent noodling? Yeah? Oops!! Next song please!

Basically, I'm just happy to be in a position to go and enjoy the whole experience. Suck the juice, baby!

That's just me.

That being said, I fully respect the right and, more importantly, the unmitigated passion & unworldly knowledge, of the folks who DO choose to debate, discuss & dissect every morsel of music that Phish masticates and spits out at the world - it's impressive, to say the least.

And as long as they keep playing, I'll keep going.

Rock on, people!

Testify, sistah! Totally agree with you.

Nostalgia amounts to being haunted by a lost feeling. There`s nothing wrong with trying to feel something similar again, but the chances of repeating your own history in the future by going to a show are just about nil. That said, most people who head out to these shows are looking for something old (that good old feeling) in the new, just as impossible, but it`s also the only way we (as `people`) know how to operate (expectation and memory, however they emerge). You very well might just bump into that old ghost at a show, but don`t ever expect your friend to see it too.

Edited by Guest

a great review of the telluride shows: here

IIRC coorectly, Adam didn't see his first show until after the hiatus.

For me, their peak was in 1994. My favourite shows, that I attended, were Kent State and Erie, PA in fall of that year. They could be both a kick ass rock band and an acoustic bluegrass band all in one night. I went to shows until 1998 and then started losing interest. it was part me and part the band. and nothing came close to those '94 shows. had a blast at Coventry, notwithstanding the quality of the playing. And have no interest to travel to see them anymore. I think that's more about me than the band, and the music, though. I'm looking for something else in my music these days. Donna the Buffalo fill that spot, Panic fills that spot. Phish don't. I'm still DLing their shows though (but not listening to them much). but haven't even purchased one of their CDs in years. more tickets for you.

Edited by Guest