Jambands.ca

Autumn! Post a recipe

fluffhead77

I'm a big fan of fall cooking and thought it might be time to start collecting some good recipes other than my staples. So, if you have some good ones, please post them here.

Butternut squash soup is a great this time of year and I stumbled upon a tasty looking variation on my regular version.

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients

2 halves roasted butternut squash

2 cups vegetable broth

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon curry powder

Salt and ground black pepper

Lime Crema, recipe follows

Lime zest, to garnish, if desired

Directions

Scoop flesh out of butternut squash with a spoon. In a medium saucepan, combine broth, flesh of butternut squash, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, salt and pepper. Set pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, about 10 minutes. Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Ladle into bowls. Serve with a dollop of Lime Crema and garnish with extra lime zest, if desired.

Lime Crema:

1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream

1/4 teaspoon lime zest

1 tablespoon lime juice

In a small bowl, combine sour cream, lime zest, and lime juice. Whisk to combine. Serve over Curried Butternut Squash Soup.

This pot roast recipe reeks of autumn!

1 medium onion

3 garlic cloves

3/4 pound carrots

1/2 pound parsnips

1/2 pound turnips

6 ounces mushrooms

a 3-inch piece fresh gingerroot

a 28- to 32-ounce can whole tomatoes

a 3-pound boneless beef chuck roast

2 tablespoons olive oil

3/4 cup Tawny Port

3/4 cup dry red wine

2 cups beef broth

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

3 bay leaves

1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled

1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled

3 tablespoons cornstarch

3 tablespoons water

Chop onion and mince garlic. Peel carrots and parsnips and diagonally cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Peel turnips and cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Peel gingerroot and mince enough to measure 1/4 cup. Drain tomatoes and chop.

Pat chuck roast dry and season with salt and pepper. In a 5-quart heavy kettle heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown roast on all sides. Transfer roast to a plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from kettle. Add onion to kettle and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add Port and red wine and simmer, scraping up any brown bits on bottom of kettle, 5 minutes. Stir in broth, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, gingerroot, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, and oregano and bring mixture to a boil. Add roast, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and mushrooms and simmer, covered, turning roast over halfway through cooking time, 3 hours total, or until tender. Pot roast may be made up to this point 3 days ahead. Cool roast, uncovered, before chilling, covered, and remove any solidified fat before reheating.

Transfer roast with tongs to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes. If necessary skim fat from cooking liquid and bring cooking liquid and vegetables to a boil over moderate heat. In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and water until smooth and stir enough into sauce to thicken to desired consistency. Simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.

Cut roast crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange on a deep platter. Spoon vegetables and sauce over meat.

the chilly air has me planning this for tomorrow! it's really good.

Chicken pot pie (serves 4-6)

3 1/4 cups chicken stock

Pinch or sprig of thyme

3-4 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs)

1 carrot

2 celery stalks

1 cup peas

mushrooms (1 cup?)

onion or shallot

3 Tbsp butter

1/2 cup cream

3 Tbsp flour

1 egg yolk

For the pastry:

1 cup flour

1 tsp sea salt

1 stick cold butter

Cut up butter and add to flour in food processor. Blend, then put in a bowl. Add 4 Tbsp ice cold water and stir. Lightly knead into a smooth ball. Wrap and chill at least 30 min.

Simmer stock and thyme. Add chicken breasts and poach until cooked, 10-15 min. Remove chicken and let cool. Add some finely chopped onion or shallot to the stock, and large diced veggies (carrot, celery, mushroom). Transfer veggies to a bowl when they are cooked using a slotted spoon. Cut up chicken into cubes and add to the bowl. Boil the stock until reduced to 1 1/2 cups and transfer to a bowl.

Return pan to heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook on medium, stirring, 3-4 min. Add stock, stirring until smooth and thickened. Add s+p, cream and simmer, add more milk or cream if it needs thinning. But you want the sauce to be thicker not runny. Mix sauce and peas with bowl of chicken and veggies.

Roll out 2/3 of the pastry for the base, 1/3 for the top. Add filling to your base, top and cut a cross in the centre of the top. Seal rim with an egg yolk wash, brush all over top. Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 400 for 35 minutes.

I'm a big fan of fall cooking and thought it might be time to start collecting some good recipes other than my staples. So, if you have some good ones, please post them here.

Butternut squash soup is a great this time of year and I stumbled upon a tasty looking variation on my regular version.

Ingredients

2 cups vegetable broth

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon curry powder

Directions

Scoop flesh out of butternut squash with a spoon. In a medium saucepan, combine broth, flesh of butternut squash, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, salt and pepper. Set pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, about 10 minutes. Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Ladle into bowls. Serve with a dollop of Lime Crema and garnish with extra lime zest, if desired.

Lime Crema:

1/4 teaspoon lime zest

1 tablespoon lime juice

In a small bowl, combine sour cream, lime zest, and lime juice. Whisk to combine. Serve over Curried Butternut Squash Soup.

Try roasted butternut squash with olive oil, garlic, white truffle oil, sage, salt and pepper. yuuuuuuuuum!

I'm a big fan of fall cooking and thought it might be time to start collecting some good recipes other than my staples. So' date=' if you have some good ones, please post them here.

Ingredients

2 cups vegetable broth

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon curry powder

Directions

Lime Crema:

1/4 teaspoon lime zest

1 tablespoon lime juice

[/quote']

Try roasted butternut squash with olive oil, garlic, white truffle oil, sage, salt and pepper. yuuuuuuuuum!

White Truffle oil FTWMFW!!!

Butter nut squash risotto is really yummy with some sage and lots of parm.

Cube up the raw squash and cook it in your stock. Drain and reserve stock. Use the stock in a basic risotto recipe. Add squash in last 5 min of cooking risotto. Finish with some finely sliced sage, a couple table spoons of butter and a bit of hot chile flakes. Serve with tons of parm.

Nicey nice!

Here's one I made for an NYE party one year, so I guess technically it counts as a winter recipe, but who's countin'?

Potato, Caramelized Onion and Roasted Garlic Squares

1½ lb (720 g) Yukon Gold potatoes (approx. 2 large)

2 tbsp (25 mL) butter

2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil

4 cloves garlic, peeled

3 cups (750 mL) sliced onion

3 tbsp (45 mL) dry vermouth

2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme

1 tsp (5 mL) salt

½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper

¾ cup (175 mL) sour cream (not low-fat)

½ cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese

2 large eggs

2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped Italian parsley

1. Boil potatoes, whole and in their skins, in salted water until cooked, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool completely.

2. While potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).

3. In a small baking dish, place butter, oil and garlic cloves. Cover and roast until garlic is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove garlic cloves to a small bowl and mash with a fork. Pour remaining butter and oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat and add onions. Sauté onions until they are a rich brown colour, about 30 minutes, adding vermouth a tablespoon (15 mL) at a time during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper, and mashed roasted garlic and cool to room temperature.

4. Keep oven temperature at 350ºF (180ºC). Lightly grease an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan and line with parchment paper so that it hangs over the sides.

5. Peel cooked and cooled potatoes and grate using the coarse side of a box grater into a large bowl. Add cooled onion mixture and stir. In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream, Parmesan, eggs and parsley to blend. Add sour cream mixture to potatoes and stir to combine. Spread mixture into prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes, until squares are set and golden brown. Cool completely in pan before chilling overnight.

6. To serve, slice squares while cold, then warm in a 300ºF (150ºC) oven for 15 minutes.

Makes one 8-inch (20-cm) pan, or 25 squares

The BDunn Shakedown Spread

Ingredients:

1 can of Spam, regular or low-salt

1/4 cup diced white onion

1/4 cup diced sweet or dill pickle

1 large hard boiled egg, diced

1/4 teaspoon celery seed

Miracle Whip to taste

Directions:

Decan the Spam. Either grind or use a food processor to reduce it to consistency of coarse hamburger. Mix with other ingredients using enough Miracle Whip to get the spreading consistency you desire. Chill thoroughly. Serve as dip with chips or crackers or make into sandwiches. You can also replace the middle portion of Oreo cookies with BDunn Shakedown Spread. Cover a passedout drunk person's nutsack and watch his dog go to town.

OK- enough of this vegetarian bullshit.

Fall is really all about braised meat.

And red wine.

And meat braised in red wine.

I'm talking about beef short ribs cooked for hours.

Hearty stews.

Lamb shanks cooked until they fall off the bone.

Serve that shit up with some kinda tasty mashed up starch and I am a satisfied dude.

Well, I guess that is later fall.

Right now- I'm eating tomatoes all day every day. Caprese salads, BLTs, tomato sauce.

I came across a recipe for Fresh corn and tomato salad .

I'm loving the bright veggies this time of year. It's really more summer eating then fall. Give it another month for the root veggies and squash recipes.

i made this stew tonight with whatever we had in the fridge. i usually make beef stew with guinness but we didn't have any so i used bacon beer. it came out really good. i made a fresh loaf of bread to eat with it. mmm

measurements are approximate

1 kg stewing beef, cubed

3 slices bacon, diced

1 bottle bacon beer (or Guinness)

2 carrots, cut in half-inch pieces

3 stalks celery, cut in 1-inch pieces

1 onion, half large diced and half finely diced

1/2 green pepper, large dice

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1/2 cup or 1 cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup water

1 Tbsp onion chutney

handful of chives, chopped

Either use a pot/casserole that can go on the stove and in the oven, or use a steel pot on the stove then transfer to a casserole dish.

Lightly coat the beef with salt, pepper and flour. Heat some oil in the pot on med-high and fry the beef in batches until brown on all sides. Remove beef to a plate or bowl. Turn down heat to medium and add bacon to the pan. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom for a minute then add the onion as well. Add celery, carrot and garlic and keep cooking for 5 min.

Add the bacon beer, pineapple juice, water and bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze. Add the beef and any juices from it, s&p, cover with lid (in casserole dish) and bake at 300 degrees for 1.5 hrs. (I then stirred, added a little bit of butter, sugar, and some onion chutney.) Remove the lid and bake for another hour or until everything is tender. (Add pineapple juice to taste) Add the chives and serve with bread or other starch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We made this with our leftover turkey last night. It's adapted from from "Turkey Soup 5 Ways" from the Canadian Living cookbook.

Turkey Chili Soup

2 tbsp chili powder

1 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp cumin

2 tsp Bayou Blast

1 leek (white part), sliced thin

2 shallots, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

2 celery, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

6+ mushrooms, slice thin

28 oz can stewed tomatoes

6 cups chicken broth

3/4 cup long grain white rice

19 oz can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)

2 cups chopped cooked turkey

1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat

2. Add leek, shallots, carrots, celery, green pepper, mushrooms and spices and cook until the veggies are softened (~8 minutes)

3. Add broth, tomatoes, rice and beans and bring to a boil

5. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender; I uncovered the pan with about 15 minutes to go to reduce the liquid, play this one by ear depending how soup-y you want the final product to be, or just add less broth

6. Add cooked turkey and heat through

Edited by Guest

Here's an autumn favorite in my household. It doesn't hurt to be extra generous with the red pepper, chili powder, and cayenne.

1 lb top round beef

1 tbsp paprika

1½ tsp oregano

½ tsp chili powder

¼ tsp garlic powder

¼ tsp black pepper

â…› tsp red pepper

â…› tsp dry mustard

8 red-skinned potatoes, halved

3 cups onion, finely chopped

2 cups beef broth

2 cloves large garlic, minced

2 large carrots, peeled, cut into very thin, 2½-inch strips

2 bunches kale, stems removed, coarsely torn

as needed non-stick cooking spray

Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across grain into long strips â…›-inch thick and 3 inches wide.

Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with spice mixture.

Spray large, heavy skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat pan over high heat. Add meat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Then add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic, and cook covered over medium heat for 20 minutes.

Stir in carrots, lay kale over top, and cook covered until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.

Serve in large serving bowl with crusty bread for dunking.