Jambands.ca

Jomomma

\/\/illy

Apparently Jomomma and current drummer Johnner are parting ways. Johnner's spot at the kit will be filled by the former Jomomma drummer (whose name I am unsure of). Johnner's last show will be on March 15th in London at the Bacchus Lounge. Let's all get out there and shake our bodies and send Johnner off in a sea of positive energy. If you don't know him, he's a fantastic fellow; and, if you do know him, you already know that!

[big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

Well I am surprised to hear that they are still playing too. They have been losing so many members in the past year or so. Their music use to be alot better when they had more people in the band. I really miss the keys and percussion. Now they just sound flat. Instead of losing people they need to add people into their band.

It is true that there music has suffered within the last few years because of so many member changes but when a band is so large it is hard keep all the personalities in check. And it is also hard to make a living. Look at how many large bands have succeeded in Canada, I don't know many. Jomomma is now bringing theire original drummer and founding memeber Ed back on the scene to hopefully make the music sound not so flat to the listeners. Johnner will be missed. Expect a bunch of tour dates within the next few months.

Peace

No matter how good a drummer is he can never replace the missing keys and percussion. I am sad to hear that the changes over the past year have been are result of personal issues and money. The quality of your music should always be your first priority especially if you plan to "make it

They (jomomma) knew they made their biggest mistake in their short history by firing Jonas.

From then on, things went on a rollar coaster ride....

Ups and Downs all around. Changing styles of music from funk to poppier trance to lastly a harder edge rock, it seems they are just trying to find their niche.

I still believe NIck from Jomomma is the best bassist on the scene.

Good luck boys, i'll be there to cheer ya on, and groove like the old days.

ps. Ed was a great drummer. He will add to the band. johnner was only a percussionist that was added to the drums. Something that isn't easy.

Keep It Groovin'

quote:

Originally posted by Wildman Adam:

I am sad to hear that the changes over the past year have been are result of personal issues and money. The quality of your music should always be your first priority especially if you plan to "make it

Wow, that's a pretty strong statement. Have you ever tried to make a living as a musician in Canada?

Jomomma and the guys in the band are great and I always enjoy hanging out w/Paul and Johnnor and the rest of the band, and hopeuflly they will get things straight and get back to what's important.

If not, then it was great seeing them the 15-20 times I did.

Good luck guys.

Although I have never made an attempt as a musician in Canada, I think that I am intelligent enough to realize some of the difficulties that it would present. However, I also think that you need to approach music as you approach life. You have to never look anywhere but forward and never feel from anywhere but inside. If you do that, with a passion, the things you need will be provided to you. As soon as you make life (or music) a business, and slow down and reflect on it and look at where you are and where you want it to take you, you stumble, and then you are left trying to get your head up and catch your balance before you crash to the ground. Anyone that knows me knows that it was Jomomma that brought me into this scene: Something that I will forever remember them for. They are also my favourite band in this scene. They are a fantastic bunch of musicians, and fantastic bunch of human beings, and a fantastic bunch of friends. I truly miss the percussion and the keys. I understand that almost all relationships have limited life expectancies but I think that when situations led them to lose parts of their sound, they should have replaced those parts and continued renewed. I'm sorry. That's how I feel. If I don't understand, that's fair. However, I am a fan, and I am certainly entitled to an opinion.

love and peace

The last time I saw Jomomma (doing seamless sets with The So So's in Peterborough) they sounded completely on top of their game, and I remember walking away very impressed. I agree Steve, Nick is an amazing bass player! Anyhoo, I wish these boys all the best.

okay, hippies - it's time to get your heads out of the 'i'll play for the love of it' cloud and understand somehting about the music business: it's a business. if you're playing solely for the love of it, you're playing little shows and your drummer's basement.

if you are spending a significant amount of time, energy, and money getting to and from gigs and missing out on 'work' (assuming music's not your primary job) then it's got to be about the dollars and sense.

Those guys have been playing for years and since they're such nice guys, i'm sure they've been screwed around. I know of one bar in particular that regularly fucks bands and people are still leaping to play there - even with just a DJ sound setup. It's BACK-ASS wards really, to tell you the truth.

I don't mind the fact the Jonas said goodbye to Jonas and Geoff. Right after they lost their keys they seemed to be really realyl into it and javing some of the sickest jams I'd ever heard from Jomomma. I understand...those players definitely added a certain element to the sound but it was more of a purely sonic diversion rather than a musical one.

Not that it's my place to say (but after all, this is just an internet messageboard...it's not really advice to be taken as seriously as sometimes it may seem) but I've heard the same songs from Jomomma since the get go. I've heard the same covers from Jomomma from the get go. I've heard Paul say 'do you want to get high' so many times I thought he was trying out for Cypress Hill. The Jomomma boys are some of the best guys I've ever met and i hope they get into it a lot more. Definitely a party band for sure, but they seem to be playing to a more mainstream crowd than the rest of the CanJam scene and that's fine, however, often i don't just hear Jomomma...I hear hints of jamiroquai and RHCP and to be honest it yanks me out of my groove and I think 'damn...i wish i could hear Jomomma again'...that was the last time they played the Bacchus to be specific. I felt kinda sad about that show. Something didn't seem right...maybe it was the 2 broken bass strings...i think that was the same show

my credibility as it applies to time and space aside, these guys know how to rock a corwd and I wish i'd get to hear them do it from their own souls rather than their memories a lot more...but since I'm not in their exact positions maybe they are. It doesn't quite seem like it from my point of view though. I know those guys are totally bright and completely creative and I know we'll eventually hear from them some of the best music around as long as they want to make it. I hope they will.

is that enough for $.02??

I do not think that any of the people above said that they should “play for love.” I believe that the people above are just asking for a better product for their money. I am sure that “Hippies” understand that that the music industry is a business. This is fairly obvious to everyone since it is us the spectators whom musicians and bars make their money off of. It is true that there has to be a balance between band size and profit. However, this can be a treacherous balance. If you do not have a product that is marketable no one will buy it. Likewise, it is not naive for a customer to demand a good product for their money.

I think the key to remember is that all changes take time. I was a little disappointed with the sound when the keys went. But.. a couple months later they had the space filled in perfectly and Johnny K was just ripping it up on the guitar like I've never seen. The key is patience, when changes happen people have to discover/decide how to make up for them and change for them...

ps. I've never heard the "I want to get high" at least that I can remember...

so i seem to have hit a nerve with some sarcasm...

i don't know how to take it when i'm called a hippy...i just like cosby sweaters, i haven't found a short hairstyle that i'm comfortable with, i can grow a pretty beard, and i like jambands...suprisingly enough that's all it takes to be a hippy nowadays.

i don't understand...i hate those peace loving, tree hugging, lovey dovey, friendly people. they get under my skin...especially the ones that are nice to me...and it's pretty much all of em...

all those bullshit lines

'hey brother'...dude, i'm not your brother

to be honest, i find it strange that so many of them want to sleep with their 'mama'

too much weed makes you go all oedipus i guess...i guess if you're too lazy to get off the couch mom can start lookin hot...

[Wink]

i'm just jokin around guys...way to be sensitive. i'll remember to bring loads of kleenex to frontiertown.

you totally said it...mom's hot!

but seriously...when art is tainted my greed($) the people who truly appreciate the art understand the compromise and sense its effect.

if you're honestly worried about me bein lonely, just drop me a line. i'll yak with just about anyone.

ro3@hotmail.com

It seems to me that an assumption is being made here to that I would like to dispel immediately. What is happening right now is not a money issue and much less a personal issue.

As far as money goes, we are a Canadian Independent Jamband. One may suspect and I have learned repeatedly that being involved in a project of this nature certainly does not promise any sort of wealth...and that is not what we seek from this. Our financial goal has been extremely modest - one of sustenance. I am familiar with the tiresome tendencies of musicians to complain about money and the lack thereof. I have come to realize that by choosing to engage in this, seeking profit from it is almost futile.

As far as personal issues go, i don't think i could wholly describe to you the complexities of the relationships developed through this type of experience. I don't think many people have the wonderful opportunity of spending 5-22hr road trips with 3-7 of your closest companions in the pursuit of spreading your music. As we all realize in this band, Johnner has helped us to do that for the last 2 years and I am forever grateful.

So, ultimately what has happened now can only be attributed to the music. The result of this decision is a product of painful compromise and I for one will sorely miss Johnner.

I appreciate all comments pertaining to the music, positive or negative. Ultimately, it is your support that makes it worthwhile (not the pathetic income bands like us make). I would gladly have a conversation with anyone who wishes to discuss matters such as the challenges of being in this business and how we have dealt with it. But, I urge everyone to stay away from the art vs. profit-seeking (greed?) debate. We all should know that this is far too simplistic to be a valid explanation.

I do my best to avoid complaining about how challenging it is to do this. And the truth is, the challenges are quickly forgotten when we actually get to do what we love...play shows namely. As a personal choice to commit to this, I realize the innevitable setbacks that arise and I accept them as an important part of this business and art form. I find it very perceptive and even flattering that so many people have kept up with the 'changes' we have gone through, especially musically.

I look forward to the future of Jomomma and being part of the Canadian music community.

Nick

I agree with megrocker. I hope everything works out in everyone's best interest. Especially the fan's.

Since you are open to constructive criticism Nick, can I ask you a question? I know it's about the music to you, so why make the small to moderate change of switching up drummers rather than deal with the larger impact of being without keyboards and percussion?

Don't worry, you know I'll be dancing my ass off to you guys playing until my dying days (which given my recent partying may be much sooner than initially expected).

Hey Will,

Good point. 'Small' to 'moderate' are terms that can be left up to interpretation. In my perspective, this change is massive. Inconsistent with what many think to be a jaded past, this can't be explained by personal and money issues. Although I feel it is a little awkward to discuss these issues at all on a message board, we aren't experiencing these problems at all. I know the keys, sax, percussion are missed by many (myself some times) but we are trying to direct ourselves through our creative aspirations. There are no easy decisions to be made in these circumstances, let alone ones that can be entirely agreed upon as the 'right one.' Hopefully we will get it right for you while you are still vital [Cool]

Archived