Jambands.ca

Lets talk some PHISH! Page is my new hero!!!

Northern Wish

Having just finished listening to all of the new shows, I want to know what you all think of the "rebirth"?

I am totally impressed with everything from the song selection, to the quick little run that had more power than any other holiday run (Cypress wasn't a "run"). There are soooo many moments of just plain goodness- that display how excited these guys are to be back together. Sure they were galaxies away on a few tunes (YEM, Rift etc.), but those that they got they NAILED.

Page is my new favorite member of Phish. I think he is easily the most improved member of the band, and may have even proved that he is #1 in my heart. They are oh so many amazing moments in his playing I can't even remember them all. Immediately coming to mind is the post Rye Rye Rocco segment of Antelope, the Play It Leo section of Ya Mar is beautiful and his use of three or four boards during Melt, well made me melt.

What say you all about the new format, the playing, the songs new and old, and just tell my how fucking great Phish is!!!!!!

Sean

ps. They're back baby, and there ain't nothing you're gonna do about it!

Speaking of NYE alone, Page has CERTAINLY turned it up a notch, and I for one, am extremely excited. I had bashed him for a while, but then again, I was never sure if it was because he was low in the mix, or not playing too much.

I will relay more when I have time to pay some more attention to the music, I have only given it a 'quick go'

Dang though, right now, I am listening to a Garcia-Kahn show from 82 and they are doing Sing Me Back Home

This is some SWEET shit!

I'm quite happy and content with Phish's return. I've been listening to the NYE and the Hampton shows and you can tell the band is eager to tweak it out a bit.

Some tunes are good, others are a tad rusty (understandably so), yet there are those that stand way-out!!! The Mike's>Mountains>Weekapaug is awesome (Trey really ripps it up!). Has anyone heard the funk jam interwoven in the CONTACT! It's so fucking dank, a la Phall '97! Kudos also goes to Trey ripping up the climax to Fast Enough 4U like it used to be.

So far, a majority of the new tunes shine brighter than the album versions (Mexican Cousin, Thunderhead, Walls and Waves).

Page gets a big fat E for effort. He ain't slacking these days.

The YEM re-start with Trey's bumbling excuse is lame and embarrasing.

Stoked for Feburary!

I'd say Trey has let the band down. There are major Trey flubs in a large percentage of the tunes they played. I was at NYE and had an awesome time - the jamming was incredible and Walls of the Cave is just insane, but listening to soundboards is much different.

My buddy was so upset with the Hampton shows on nights 1 and 2 that he sold his third night tickets at cost and drove home!

I just hope that the YEM was a HUGE wake-up call for Trey, that he was completely embarrassed and the result will be LOTS and LOTS of practice before Feb tour.

quote:

Originally posted by bsherman:

I'd say Trey has let the band down. There are major Trey flubs in a large percentage of the tunes they played.

I just hope that the YEM was a HUGE wake-up call for Trey, that he was completely embarrassed...

...gee i wonder why that is??? [Confused]

I absolutely hate that kind of gossipy crap. When tickets went on sale, did you try and get some? Keep the talk of that kind of thing out of opinion. Every musician for ages has turned to one thing or another- and it shouldn't make a lick of difference. You think Trey missed some notes because he was rocked?!?! Piss off. Do you know how young and limber he was when he wrote some of that stuff. Let alone remember each part after minimal practice, and not to mention writing and recording 2 full albums- and countless other things since he last played with them.

I am always willing to play the skeptic, but those shows are great. Listen to the music, without all of the lore the band holds. They are the best. Period. They miss changes, they miss notes- but only because they fucking try so hard every time. I saw lots of shows, and heard lots of the Trey rumors- and saw how negative everyone was. And we all still love the Fat Man despite his decades of hard drug use, don't we? Trey might have missed the 17th note in a structure like YEM, but for god sakes he ain't nodding off! Maybe he missed some of the parts you know really well, but if you listen there are oodles of moments of wizardry that he has never played before that make each version incredible (Limb by Limb, Back on the Train, Bowie to name a few). Take it all in and listen to what he is doing, the composed sections are the only parts that he doesn't have free reign on.

For anyone who is so negative that they gave up and headed home before the 4th- it serves them right that they missed the best set of the whole run.

I could go on and on about this, I feel so strongly about it... But it all comes down to music. They wrote incredible stuff, they created a legion of fans, they were tired and it showed and people were complaining alot, they took a long break, came back and rocked hard, and people are still complaining alot. Ain't if funny how we all call our selves music "fans"........

If you don't like it, don't listen.

I like it, and I LISTEN to it. And it's all good.

Over and out,

Sean

ps. The picture should go! (Bouche, Tonin?)

quote:

They are the best. Period.

If you compare Phish's NYE show with tOO's NYE show, its well, no comparison.

Forget individual song selection, listen to each show, and tell me who's playing better. who's jamming better. who's sounds like they are playing with more inspiration.

Even most of the hard core phish fans would have to agree tOO's played a much tighter, better 'sounding' concert. An unbiased listener would say it is no contest who's "the best.

Of course, who care's who's the best. I'm sure people who were at both shows thought they were great. Just my opinion, listening to both NYE shows, phish sounds quite weak in many areas. strong in others. Other bands are strong all the way around.

Now gimme they jammin quality of Big Cypress, then i'll be one happy camper. and it wont take them long to get back in stride.

By the time they hit CINCI, they WILL be rockin'. When I compare the way tOO's sounded in Alpine to the way they sounded in Albany, its like two different bands. I'm sure Phish will be the same.

HEy, i hear trey's laying off the loops. at least thats a good thing. No dolphin calling this time around.

quote:

Originally posted by Northern Wish:

Ain't if funny how we all call our selves music "fans"........

If you don't like it, don't listen.

I like it, and I LISTEN to it. And it's all good.

Dude - I hope all this anger isn't directed at me? I am a fan whether you think so or not. I love Phish, I can't wait to see them in Feb, but I do hope they work things out.

Are you saying we can't offer criticism? If you think Trey only flubbed the 17th note or some crap in YEM I suggest you give it another listen.

You asked the question:

"Having just finished listening to all of the new shows, I want to know what you all think of the "rebirth"?"

I didn't realize only unabashed gushing was allowed.

Geez.

That wasn't at all directed at you. I was commenting on the negativity in the scene that has plagued Phish for a good long while ie. The coca leaves, and ditching 4th tickets cause it wasn't up to par. Plus I get pissed right up a tree when the Trey/ yayo discussion gets brought up......

I would love an open discussion on the actual playing of the music, without that kind of biased, negative approach.

Sean

That's cool Sean. I was just airing my opinion of the music. All the rumor-mongers who talk about crack and all that shit is not impressive to me either. I would never have ditched tickets, but my buddy is a different person altogether.

Like I said - I love Phish. I cried three times on NYE, and I more than proud to admit that. But I would really be upset if the February Phish is not much improved. They don't owe me shit, I just love good tight music. The jams are all great, this run included. But man, the wince on my face hearing that YEM is large.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and I certainly value yours. I just got equally upset with all the people (obviously on other boards) who were personally attacking anyone who had any criticism.

I am still counting down the days 'til Vegas. Can't wait!

Brian

hey all,

i'm sorry (and surprised) that the pic got some people so worked up.

it was meant as a joke...perhaps in bad taste...

but don't tell me that certain narcotics hasn't affected the abilities of musicians over the ages...miles davis, jim morrison, jerry.

anyways...i don't want to the centre of some type of jambands.ca scandal so i don't care if the pic gets taken off...

now Bouche (although i don't get the chicken reference), NW...can we just kiss and make up?

Just to be a bit of a devil's advocate. There are many many shows where you can listen to the playing and pick what kind of drug Trey was doing. I think it is very relevant to what people heard. But at the same time, the impact that those drugs have on what people hear when they are there and what you can find when compulsively listening to a show may be another story all together....

Some of my worst dead shows were the ones where I went with musicians that pointed out all the mistakes to me. If they weren't doing that everything sounded perfect. ie. ignorance is bliss.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Hey, i hear trey's laying off the loops. at least thats a good thing. No dolphin calling this time around.

Hmmm.... I really like the loops!! They add some nice texture. Of course, they don't belong in *every* song, but still... loops make me loopy (or loopier, I guess) - the good type of loopy, that is, like loopy for Fruit Loops! [smile]

Feeling loopy right now,

Brian.

Chewie, its a cock.

I figure if one is going to make assumptions of someones consumptions, even though they have no idea, they deserve a pic of that nature.

(Actually, its a Rhombus thing I have seen on that site, and it makes me ROAR when I see it. People getting cocked is funny!)

Anytime you want though Chewie, I am up for some beers and blow............dont forget the hookers [Wink]

Archived