Jambands.ca

Grand Theft bus- FRIDAY!!

gentlemonkey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'll have limited choices.. get there early and set up a table w/mics next to the sound board.

there is a sweet pocket there.. the only spot in the room where the bass sounds right.

and you'll get to hang out with the sound guy 'Gary' i think. check out the drum monitors he's constructed if you get a chance. shocked.gif" border="0

Nope, the sound guy Bruce , is actually the owner, I feel into that trap myself, and they made all sorts of jokes about how I thought he was the sound guy but really hes the owner. I guess I didnt notice the sign on his back that said " I run the soundboard and look like a guy who runs soundboards, but Im the owner".

At the TMNS on Saturday dudes were taping the show (odd how they tape a dead cover band, but none of the great Ottawa all-original bands, however) from the south west corner of the dance floor. The sound dude is straight in line with that but further back in the north east corner of the dance floor.

quote:

Originally posted by Harpua:

At the TMNS on Saturday dudes were taping the show (odd how they tape a dead cover band, but none of the great Ottawa all-original bands, however)...

I've often wondered if it would be possible/feasible to set up a kind of "network" of tapers in a town, so that bands that were doing a show could request a taper for a gig. If one was available, the band would provide whatever media the taper used (and maybe a beer/meal), and the taper would do the work, giving the media back the band afterwards. The Taper Group might also provide media transfer and ripping services, to make it easier for bands to get their stuff on the web (or wherever).

Aloha,

Brad

The Bayou's a nice place. I've never been patted down, and they were letting tapers in for a show on Saturday ("The Music Never Stopped", a Grateful Dead cover band). They have snacky food, but I'm not sure about pretzels. The beer selection's not bad, and the staff are good and friendly (it was cool at TMNS gig to see the waitresses grooving along watching the band).

See you there.

Aloha,

Brad

Aha, Shn of course, perfect. Are you on shnapster? Its sitting pretty at 3TB these days.

Anyways, no need for stealth at all, unless you got snouts, even then not a big deal. Its kinda just a mellow small bar where you can pretty much do anything you want, except fight. Theres no pat down at the door at all, although once Davey Boy asked for one.

Also, I heard they are looking for suggestions as to new types of beer to get on tap. I'm sure a few people here might have an idea or two.

music wont start until like 10:30..the band is cool with taping, so it doesn't matter what the club sez (but they are cool with it too) get there at 9:30, and you will have less people to work around. set up your shit by the sound booth and you won't have to wear your mics all night and get a half assed recording. grin.gif" border="0 see ya friday!

bring tape and put them on a piller, or the ceiling, it'll sound 100X better if the mics are placed in a good spot and they stay there.. if you wear them you'll get every conversation you take part in, and the sound will change depending on where you stand, and who you walk behind. think about it. if you're worried about theft, dont be.

good people.. people who may want to trade for the show if it sounds decent.. wink.gif" border="0