Jambands.ca

Question of our lives (and of the day)?

Northern Wish

teryter --thank you for recanting some of your comments. I do understand that running nuggets down there does tie me alittle more into the O-town scene then I would like at this point. But personal shit up in Ottawa does not link to me or the way I run Nuggets in Hamilton and the people that know me know what im all about.

and this just looks like another bullshit go no were statement by you, it makes no sence at all dude

quote:

"don't shit where you eat my friend

The idea of running the name Nuggets is a great business decission that I will stand by. By have Nuggets out side on Ottawa will help a great deal in touring and trying to get gigs in ont. being able to split a border fee between 4 bars is more likely then one bar paying.

It helps the bands make money witch helps them tour more and pay for albums but I shouldn't have to point out this. Do you think that all the bands would be playing in Ottawa with the help of a promo company.

quote:

he is a high profile member of an organization that plays dirty pool and expects not to get dirty

H stop action like im in the fucking mob!!

I will work with anyone at any time. I will be working with some people in this area on shows that would make some of you gossip like you never have.

quote:

If something is unacceptable to us, why do we put on fake smiles and accept it or act indifferent?

DR.H

that’s what started my first post about the whole cd thing. some times something really good comes along that you can’t pass up on so what do you do you look for people that you think mite be able to help.

I didn't know that there was such hate thought about me because of two words im associated with. That’s fucking stupid to toss this shit on me. two wards yes there's a link there but do you think im calling the shots up in Ottawa fuck that. to assume that I have any thing or any say in what goings on in Ottawa is fucked.

I stand by Nuggets for what it will be. And it is growing at such great a rate that all the U.S. guy’s are now sending us press kits you know what that means if they come here it’ll be a lot easyer to gigs in the U.S. after showing them what we have to offer.

I hope that you guys fix your shit in Ottawa. there's going to be some thing big coming up I think that will need help from all the parties that are beening talked about here and I wont be as good with out everyone involved.

Now that this is all getting aired out mybe we could take this vibe and turn it into something good.

Mybe even start working together again.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to weigh in on all these craptastic posts. I usually leave the highroad and complaining to my better half, but I feel I must say something.

First:

1- I don't know any of you personally.

2- I think the interested parties have begun to use this forum as a place to attack in a passive/aggressive way.

And so...

Either move onto Grade 5 and either call each other or email your hostilities, so as not to include the rest of us...

Or, realize that not everyone can get along. And maybe a public forum is not the way to discuss issues relevant to only a small handful.

We don't want to be dragged into this. And our scene isn't suffering, our patience is.

Lump it or leave it--> that motto works for a whole lot of stuff.

p132

p.s. I.L.N.W.

So far backwards that your forward again.....

Your vocal minority is feeling rather testy these days, I guess you would have the world believing that I am the badest man on the planet.... so be it. Most people on "the scene" know the real story, not just the gossip, and know better than to take the slander on this irresponsible, joke of a site for reality.

"If this behavior bothers you..SAY SO!!!"

Careful queen bee...... you have benefited from our "friendly, non-confrontational" manner as much as I. Do you think that the very same people who tell you what you want to hear don't also tell me what I want to hear? Such arrogance!!

For the record, I have never kyboshed any attempt to put on a show. EVER! In fact I have built partnerships with many organizations to better facilitate more and bigger shows. Watch for upcoming joint efforts between Nugget, NLE and Full Tilt Boogie. Some of these shows are even in Ottawa. Somebody was told that the show they were thinking of putting on wouldn't work for a number of business reasons, and that I would offer no help..... that is not a kybosh!

The marketing of the name Nugget Productions above the name of the bands is by design and for good reason. Sorry to disappoint my detractors..... but it is not about my ego. The fact of the matter is that no one knows who Tala, GTB, JSB, nero and Dr. Huxtable are....... It is the intent of Nugget Productions to build a brand name that is associated with a certain style of music.... That way, when someone sees a listing for a band they have never heard of, but see that it is a Nugget Production, they know what to expect and are more likely to attend the show. Brand name recognition..... Marketing 101.... I'm trying to grow this scene, not make it an elitist click as you skanks would have it.

There are very few that know just how much effort, time, money and risk it takes to put on show....... ignorance is bliss.

As for all of you who think you know the story, thru gossip or edited emails..... think what ever you want.... I'm so fucking done dealing with this....

I ain't doing this for the respect.

I ain't doing this for the respect.

I ain't doing this for the respect

quote:

Originally posted by doubleB:

FYI......

The Following things STILL suck!

1. Parking tickets

2. last call

3. NSync

4. Dave Matthews

5. Toronto Maple Leafs

6. neo-hippy, love everyone poserism

7. the bayou

8. pickles

9. wet farts

10. coyote mornings

11. survivor

12. when the filter comes out in your mouth

and oh yeah.... can't forget the Bare Naked Ladies... yup they still suck to...

I truly hope I have offended somebody

BB - I thought we were friends! i really do tend to love everyone, but i think it's because i get along with everyone...but don't worry...i'm not offended because i already know you're a great big jerk.

I thiink it's kinda funny how up in arms people can get over something as trivial to one person as the musical tastes of another. People are often so sensitive about that and it's kinda funny to see how crazy people get.

Interesting reading this thread! Reading it reminded me about a conversation I had with a bunch of cats from the Terrapin message board, they were saying how many assholes were on the jambands.com message board...big fights. It seems folks have an easier time being asses to each other when they are writing on the net.

Tlighten things up, here is a tribute to the biggest ass Ive ever met in the scene..who is this idiot anyway? ha...its the latest promo for A Heads Tale....

http://homepage.mac.com/greghemmings/iMovieTheater5.html

geeze, has this been sitting up here all weekend?

ok it seems that people have more than one bone to pick. i wasnt talking about your promotions. I was talking about the stuff you write on this website and on your own website about this website.

i did some work on this in the beginning and i was hoping to see it grow, so i was a little taken aback when you showed up peddling some buck ninety five pink Template website and started trash talking this site that was developed by hand.

I'm not getting my information from editted emails or gossip, i barely know anyone from here, i have my own friends too, so any gossip i get from here when i'm bored at work.

Now that being said, the one piece of gossip i did take into account was the people who have said for months that you walk around saying you're going to bury the sanctuary because why? i really dont know cuz as far as i'm concerned, it was just minding its own business. And i believed that because it came from so many sources and frankly its written all over your posts.

But I was asked not to call you on it several times when you came on here promoting your site all over this board, blitzed it really for a week or so at a time when this board still carried free advertisements for your promotions. When you have the nerve to pull these types of things, i know you'll make a successful promoter.

So you can see that i dont speak for the website, the website has asked me to leave it alone in the past - the website has even responded to this thread but hasnt addressed this and i havent talked to him at all about it - but i tell you if it was me, i woulda played my cards a whole lot differently a while back.

i didnt want to have a fight, my stomache is twisted all up now, but it's started and i couldnt leave those posts sitting up there without finishing what i had to say.

Also, you are free to reply here if you care to reply, but it seems to be upsetting some of the locals - i loved being called an immature asshole for having one arguement first thing on a monday morning, thanks mr. hemmings and piranha - so if you'd rather you can email me at heather@jambands.ca anytime.

Hey folks....one more thing, i was thinking about how easily written words can be mixed up with the true intentions. I always think that written arguments don't truly represent what either party is arguing about because there is no visual or audible personality to it...so as learned by my last post..I will certainly be careful on how I write things. If anyone wants to go to bermuda..check out my new Cavern Post..yeeeeeeeeehaw

I really didn't want to post in this, but I just couldn't believe what I read there.

Wow. I can't get over the bullshit being spout out. A community that grew through the internet, via posts and emails is now stirred up with a conflict that isn't getting resolved so much as it's being dragged out, using the internet and emails.

It's obvious that posting is easier than saying anything face to face for most people, and even lying and creating misguided illusions is easily attempted as well.

Now I do believe people know who nero, JSB, GTB, Dr.Hux, and Tala are. In fact they certainly provide for many topics of conversation regularly right here. People know who they are and their words and music is being spread just fine. Unfortunately, I think the key is that noone knows who Nugget is. Well, they didn't, until nugget began attaching itself to the bands' shows that have always been posted right here, as much as possible.

If someone doesn't know who a band is...they can find out by asking. They usually do. Nugget doesn't actually mean 'good music' as much as it means 'bad attitude'.

Marketing 101 or Grassroots 101? Which program offers the 'hard work' and 'dedication' course and which one offers the trash-talking and name-calling one again?

ah bouche, the website, it was better when you werent touching this one - i liked that you had decided to give it a pass. [Wink]

mr. hemmings, i appologize. You're right that written word now adays is very easily misconstrued by the viewer and happens all the time, good reminder.

i'm usually more level headed.

im hoping that this is the last post that im going to making in here. Wheather there's personally issue going on, you can't tell that nuggets in ottawa has been nothing but bad for your scene up there thats alota bullshit dude. you guys started with Nero and now every band in the scene plays ottawa did that just happen NO!! with drive, balls and organizaton that BB has for starting nuggets and bring you guys all this great music there's no way it would have happened without Nuggets. You guys have are only second to the east for having a soild scene bands wanting to run up and play in ottawa.

so lets all just chill out!

it would be nice if we get along but that will take some time!

I don't think there is any doubt that Nuggets has contributed to the Ottawa scene but the attitude that BB has done it alone is COMPLETELY ridiculous. First of all, the bands do the work. They are the ones that make this wonderful music, they are the ones who write and practice and travel. BB puts them in contact with local bars this is a good thing, but damn, you'd think he was God the way he goes on. His head hardly fits into the venues anymore.

If you think jambands.ca has nothing to do with the success of the Ottawa scene (and other Canadian cities) you are mistaken. Without jambands.ca Nuggets wouldn't even exist. It was because of THIS SITE that BB was able to reach as many people as he did. It was on THIS SITE that every single show of "his" was advertised, discussed and reviewed. It was THIS SITE that put up with his name-calling, spamming and double standards (like BB forcing Bouche to include jamhub and Nugget on every banner on this site for free none-the-less, but refusing to include jambands.ca on any of his promotional material. As a promoter, I would think this would be in his best interest) without saying much of anything for so long. It is THIS SITE that requires no thanks, no money, no recognition for all the hard work that it takes to produce. And speaking of producing, it is Bouche who spends countless hours writing codes and programming this site for all of US. This is a hobby for him, not a business. I am surprised he puts as much effort as he does into it just for our pleasure and to promote the scene that he feels passionately about.

Why anyone would try to put him down personally or put down his efforts in anyway is beyond me.

Ottawa's strong scene is based on a lot of things.. but it is remaining strong with the help of this website, jamhub, nuggets and the HUGE group of wonderful people that check out live music here.. From my perspective, BB is very dedicated to promoting shows- putting money on the line (often losing money) and taking risks (FYI SHow-whore, a hobby he picked up from nero;)) .. Meanwhile Bouche is putting a TON of work/time into this website, and this is without a doubt the place where people have made plans, discussed, reviewed the shows.. it was through this website that everyone hooked up- no doubt. But, if you guys want to keep anyone interested in being associated with anything, you're all going to have to come to a solution (i dont really understand the problem), and hopefully soon, and hopefully in private.. [Wink] best of luck, and hi-fives to everyone for helping make Ottawa a fun town to live in!

I really wanted to avoid getting in on this, but I think I can maybe offer a bit of perspective....

Firstly I want to say that I consider Brad Beamish and Graham Pearson to be friends of mine, sure I have some differences with their approach, but I think it's a lot easier to get through times like these by making every possible effort to keep things cool on a personal level.

From my knowledge, these guys basically came to the conclusion that their contribution would be better served if they were "on their own", the reasons for this, I don't know, I assume they got pissed off at something, and then made the decision to "go it alone" instead of trying to resolve problems or work things out, again, I don't know the details, and maybe they were justified in doing this. I dunno.

AND....I don't think there's any problem with having 2 websites devoted to this great scene, how many million websites are there out there on every topic know to man..?...exactly...

But I think that what really needs to be resolved is this "divide and conquer" mentality. Instead of devoting energy into wooing the regulars off of this site and onto another, why not put that energy into finding NEW people to join the scene, the whole thing to me is like Quebec separating from Canada, and then getting pissed off that no Canadians will visit their country...?? ya know?? There are so many untapped "markets" such as the university campuses (Carleton!) that are just sitting there waiting to be tapped, yet people are more concerned about wooing long-time regulars in the scene, who are gonna go to every show anyways, regardless of promoter, or which website pushes the gig. There are flyers dumped at all the shows saying "visit jamhub, you ONE source for....whatever whatever..." that pretty much explicity tells me that the efforts are being put into "divide and conquer" over "grow and nurture". The same goes for show listings...I mean why can't there be 1 official listing of all the Ottawa gigs....?? It really is hard to believe that someone supposedly devoted to "growing the scene" and all these lofty hippie values, doesn't even list all the gigs that are going on in town on a given night....for what reason..??

It's personal that's why.

There is resentment on a personal level beween people in this scene who have taken on the role of "gate-keeper" be it webmaster or promoter, and it's the regular music lovin' folks who get shit on. I think if someone is going to take on this role, and really do it right, they need to realize they are performing a service for the community AS A WHOLE, and should treat everyone the same...be it booking bands, or informing the community. The minute personal resentment becomes a motivating factor, things start to rot, the rumours swirl, and things generally get ugly. see above.

And some people have asserted that we should be grateful to Nugget for bringing all these bands into town. While I don't want to undermine the hard work Brad has done in the past year or whatever, it must be stated, that we really didn't need anyone to perform this service, the crowds really haven't gotten that much bigger at these shows, and it really is such a small scene, it's not hard to book venues or of town bands.

So basically, I think if the parties in question can't stop mixing community "business" with personal resentment, they should stop performing a "service" for the community, because they're dividing more than they're

serving, and this aint' "our way" to do this!

It's become public, and if it continues, it will further tarnish our scene which otherwise has a great reputation.

The whole thing, very seriously makes me sick, and at times I want to put down my guitar and simply not bother anymore. It's about the MUSIC, I get plenty of politics from 9-5. There needs to be resolution and healing. Soon. I will do anything I can to see it happen.

UNITY IS POSSIBLE!!!!

I agree with both show-whore and ms. huxxx on this one: both Jambands.ca and Nuggets play integral roles in promoting our type of music around Ottawa/Ontario. We are all thankful for the hard work. Consistent effort with minimal reward is tough to do pholks (other than the reward of a good party, these guys aren't getting too much out of it). Now, that is not to say that because their isn't much money involved right now that it is acceptable to fluff it off, saying/acting like: "there isn't money involved , it isn't a business, so I don't need to adhere to any business ethics". Even on a personal level, there are things that everyone has needed to address in their lives, and make conscious decisions that dictate what type of person they are. I am repeating myself here as usual but: SPITE and JEALOSY are wasted emotions and actions. They do nothing for ANYONE in the end of it all. Esepecially the one harbouring/nurturing them.

Even if it is a hobby, it should be run like a business. The realm you are dealing in, with serious people who's liveliehood rely (somewhat) on your role (ie. bands, bars) should dictate that. It's called respect.

When running an organization, I'd hope that one would try to exemplify professionalism, convey personal and organizational strength with all of your actions...alowing a personal grudge to come into play (or to be the main goal of your organization) isn't acceptable. If I ran my business with any of the loused ethics, or bad intentions evidenced lately, I would be out of business. period. nobody should have to deal with that stuff in their professional lives. Business is business, personal is your problem. Don't fucking bring it.

Unfourtunatly, it seems like it's partially the hippy tolerance levels that may be a little responsible for the continued growth of these problems. If someone had put their foot down, or made it clear how unacceptable such practices were a long time ago, we might not be dealing with this bullshit today.

As far as marketing 101 goes Brad: in this case supporting every avenue of promotion that you can would be a benefit (especially a website that started off with you, gave you free advertising for how long? and bottom line has 400+ members who fit precisely into the target demographic). Trying to destroy one of these avenues out of spite is not sharp business practice IMHO. Also, I somewhat disagree with your idea that Nugget=good music....it will get associated from the music and the bands it supports, but shouldn't be the headliner, and that shouldn't be the goal. IMHO, A promotional company in this type of scene should be more concerned with who it is promoting, rather than promoting itself. Band Name recognition. Not brand Name recognition. You will get yours more if people recognize the bands more. There is not going to be a buzz on the scene about a production company and all the great acts it brings....the buzz would only be about the great acts themselves. You want each band to be recognized for what they are: themselves. Not just that they are a nugget production...that slights the band IMO. The promotional company doesn't dictate how good the band is, but exactly the opposite occurs: the bands dictate how good te promo company is.

At the same time, you do have a point that when the scene is as small as it is, it may be beneficial to have a recognizable standard name that = good music...this is precisely why we have the term Jamband (although some of you do not like this too much). The word "jamband' already has name recognition all over the map. Why not go with what the rest of the industy is going with?

Anyways, I'm not telling anyone how to run their hobby/business, this is just my 2 cents...you do what you like, and run your shit the way you deem appropriate.

I just hope that the appropriate way would incude being civil, and creating a mutually beneficial environment for everyone involved....not just one party.

Hood

thats it exactly monkey man. totally - EVERYBODY has done good things. brad, graham, show whore, bouche, you guys, all of them and others too people writing reviews andre, brad m etc etc. - thats all i had ever thought. What a great bunch all helping each other. Thats what it should be.

This issue was so one sided. If it matters who did it first, i dont think phish sanctuary cares to make any claims. whoever wants to claim that may.

i appologize sincerely for some of my nastier comments and pointing out templates and whatnot and to innocent bystanders i also appologize, i was pretty twisted up yesterday.

good luck to whoever is working towards the common good and i hope everyone who is will also wish everyone else good luck with their efforts as well. seriously.

h