Jambands.ca

Debate: The Other Ones vs. Grateful Dead

MarcO

Referring to math all I was doing was counting members in this incarnation of the Other Ones from the side projects.

and SecondTube

quote:

TOO Bad eh! Shows exactly what your tone represents. I'm sure in the next breath (after saying how much more informed you are cause you've been to a dead show) you'd say 90's dead sucked.

All I am saying is they cant call themselves the Grateful Dead. Dont put words in my mouth. You are replying to things I havent SAID!

I am not pretending to be better than anyone, I could care less.

quote:

Mind you, I may be singing a much different tune once I see a couple of these shows.

I havent put them down ONCE.

Are you even reading what I am saying? You must not be because you are making an awful lot of judgements and jumping to some incredibly ridiculous conclusions.

Why would you even bother to write this:

I don't care if you think TOO will be a good replacement for the dead or not. Who really cares what you think anyways? Your putting a band down even when you haven't been to a tOO show. It shows your real intelligence, obviously pretty limited....which is surprising cause you'd think you'd be a genious, after all, you've seen the dead. That MAKES YOU MUCH BETTER THAN ME, cause i've only seen tOO...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the post-dead incarnations and line-ups are so hard to map. So technicalities are easy to find. Basically, it appears to me that they are slowly finding their way back into the scene as one.

I really did like the name Crusader Rabbit. Why not just call them that?

quote:

Did u see the pl&f 7-9-02?
???
???

Yes, and it was BY FAR the weakest I have seen.

That WILL happen to TOO this Fall you know. They are going to have an off night.

AND, if someone only sees that show and passes judgement on just that one show, they's is wrong if they say TOO sucks.

Unless the whole tour sucks, which would never happen.

i don't care what they would be called...that is my whole point....

they would still be good. they could call themselved whatever they wanted.

i would still see them.

BUT I WOULDN"T GO AROUND SAYING THIS ISN"T PHISH AND ANYONE WHO HASN"T SEEN PHISH AND THINKS THEY ARE....blah blah blah

i would go, have fun, and maybe remind newbies of the good times had with all the boys.

and certainly not go on about how TAB is better than the remaining members of Phish together. ( i believe trey is gonna leave phish to go on his own)

quote:

If you didnt see the Dead, TOO bad. You aint seeing 'em this Fall either. Get over it.

U sure your not making yourself sound just a little bit better than the rest of us who haven't seen the boys?

quote:

Man, you wouldnt believe the slam-fest I got in my Inbox regarding the "directionless noodle-fests" by Phil's band.

How stupid can you be?

Calling people misinformed cause they don't agree with you?

quote:

They cant call themselves the Dead.........

You forgot to mention your credentials to why the just can't call themselves the Grateful Dead. Why? If they want, go for it!

quote:

All I am saying is they cant call themselves the Grateful Dead. Dont put words in my mouth. You are replying to things I havent SAID!

Are you sure you haven't "said or meant" those things a little indirectly?

quote:

I am not pretending to be better than anyone, I could care less.

See above.

quote:

I havent put them down ONCE.

No, but by saying, you just ain't seeing the good ole boys, you not exactly saying anything too highly of them when you haven't seen the band!

How do u feel when u get those emails telling you how phil has more noodles than the Italians, and they haven't seen the Phil!

I think if your tone of voice wasn't that of, "you ain't ever gonna see the boys again, so ha!" i wouldn't have gotten so pee'd off.

You should be like, who cares what they are called, THE MUSIC IS LIVING ON!

The sign of a true deadhead.

Well I think whats in a name?I myself go to dance,smile,have a crazy fuckin time and hear great fuckin music,I seen the Deadthru the mid eigtys to the end and all that mattered to me was the music,and will remian that way for me,call it what you will but in the end I,m there to listen and dance,So I say [Mad] WHO FUCKING CARES WHAT THEY CALL THEM SELVES!!!!Just keep shaking my bones and I'm happy!! [smile][smile]

Interesting topic, I know I'm gettin in late on this one but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents anyway.

Without Jerry & Phil they are not the Dead.

These are the two people who contributed most to the Deads sound. My opinion is that either one of them dying or leaving would have caused the band to end. Any of the other players were expendable.

So basically what this means is that you can't have the Dead without Jerry, but without Jerry and Phil you can't even come close. It also means that the band that comes closest to capturing the spirit of the Dead now is Phil and Friends.

I'm confident that they will not change the name back.

I guess I feel that way because without Phil it just doesn't sound like the Dead. And it probably has a lot to do with me being a bass player so I pay a lot of attention to that area.

But if you want to get technical on me it's actually one original member compared to two original members if you think about it.

tOO has the best of both worlds.

has phil to drop bombs. has the rhythm devils for sam. and del. neither phil nor ratdog drummers can touch the mickey/billy combo. has boracco hittin some of the jerry parts which he can do all so well.

and finally it has someone who can actually sing Estimated, LL > Suplic, Weather Report, LL Rain, B.T.Wind, Hell in a Bucket, Jack Straw, Me and My Uncle, Throwing Stones, etc.

When u add bobby to the mix, you add a major contributer from the GD.

Phil + Bobby + Mickey + Billy + (a few others [Wink] ) = [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

Yeah I realize this latest version of the other ones has Phil, but it's really a cross between tOO and P&F. Like secondtube said, it's the best of both worlds. When comparing tOO and Phil I was talking about the lineup before Phil. Anyway, I think they really should have chosen a different name this time out, it's all so confusing...

I've read all the posts and my opinion have already been well represented in the fact that they are FUckin Great no matter what they are called. I have only one thing to say here and that is, i am quickly tiring of reading the drivel that comes from the mouth of secondtube. You're a jackass. I'm not a real violent guy and there has never been a place for that here ever. BUT if i had written something that was so very obviously one man's opinion about the "real" tour and you came back and refered to my stupidity, i would knock you out on our first encounter. I hold nothing against you secondtube, but you're ignorant in both senses of the word. You contradict yourself at least three times in this post and seem to have all the answers to every musical conumdrum. How did you get so wise? Some tact in the future may be advisable. To everyone who gets baited into secondtube's blah blah blah, the saying holds true, if you ignore something long enough, it will go away.