Jambands.ca

Debate: The Other Ones vs. Grateful Dead

MarcO

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO- there is NO dead without Jerr-boy...nor do I feel that there is/was/should be/should have been a Grateful Dead without any of the founding members after good ol' pigger left us....(I loved Brent too, but again, he was just filling an empty void...AND FILL IT HE DID!!!)

I don't think one can deny that Jer-boy was the front man...he sang the majority of the tunes, played lead and worte most of the music...

IMO- there is NO dead without Jerr-boy around...

May the blessings be,

Giggles "Gawpo" [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

I am just checking my email, and it appears as though people didnt realize I was joking earlier.

SO, I take it all back, and I now say that I am NOT joking!

quote:

My math tells me the majority are NOT from PLQ

2 from Phils band

1 from Bobbys

none from Mickey's

none from Billys

Who is stupid now? You cant even add.

As far as getting the real tour back, I want both TOO and PLQ to tour semi-regularily. PLQ does the SMALLEST venues on their fall and spring tours. Save TOO for the summer sheds.

Mind you, I may be singing a much different tune once I see a couple of these shows.

quote:

Go see tOO. They are good.

I never said they werent (and I am going), but I did say they aint no god-damn Good Ole Grateful Dead. Dont kid yourself people. If you didnt see the Dead, TOO bad. You aint seeing 'em this Fall either. Get over it.

Man, you wouldnt believe the slam-fest I got in my Inbox regarding the "directionless noodle-fests" by Phil's band.

How stupid can you be?

Sorry, I shouldnt say stupid. Just mis-informed and whatever you have listened to as mis-representative of the FACTS.

Boy, am I pissy now...........

Dude, a lot of HEADS who saw TOO shows in 98/00...commented that there were many occasions where the energy level, intensity, and quality of the tunes, easily surpassed a lot of the 90's Dead shows where Jer was pretty much not present...

Of course Jerry firing on all cylinders, in any year, would be better than TOO.

Math: TOO existed before P&F so here's the real math:

Phil (ex. TOO member)

Bobby (ex. TOO member)

Mickey (ex. TOO member)

Billy (ex. TOO member)

Jimmy (PL&F)

Jeff (Ratdog)

Rob (gag) (PL&F)

TOO = 4

P&F = 2

Ratdog = 1

(First off, Steve, just so ya know this is my response to the thread as a whole, not to you in particular although this post may follow yours)

This is a debate over what we as individuals feel is the right or wrong approach for the remaining members to take. We do have a right to make a judgment on that. Of course the decision is ultimately up to the band, but the debate here is whether we'd be happy with it or not. There's no credentials required other than an interest in the music and a respect for the music's history. It's our debate too, not just the bands.

And it's not up to anyone to have to change their opinion just because this open forum has a range of age categories, from those who saw the Dead dozens of times to those who didn't know what "Dark Star" was a year ago. Pointing out that you saw the Dead isn't a statement of superiority, it's a statement of perspective, a unique one that those too young to have spent an evening in the same venue as Jerry Garcia will never be able to have, I mean how could they? And that's it, as far as I can see.

I'll say it again: for me - and I'm only speaking for myself obviously - The Grateful Dead ended on August 9, 1995. That doesn't mean that I think post_GD line-ups are bogus, useless or illegitamte. For me, and me only, everything after that seems like a shadow, an image, a representation of something that once was. I say enjoy it, appreciate it, take care of it and celebrate it but don't get too frustrated about it. It is what it is and for some it is exciting and motivating, for others it is the extension of a slow decline that began while Jerry was still alive, but was that much more involving, rewarding and emotionally accessible while he was here.

And that's why I would be disappointed if they called themselves "The Grateful Dead". It's not necessary except from a business perspective. (Although apparently, they're not having trouble selling tickets)

Although the argument is moot; I really don't think they will call them selves the "Grateful Dead" again. I just wanted to hear what people may think about the issue and boy did we ever find out!! [Eek!][Eek!]

Final point: there are LOTS of great bands out there. Young talented players making their mark on a constantly evolving music world. Nostalgia can be a enterprise of diminishing returns.... be careful with it!!

"How do u feel when u get those emails telling you how phil has more noodles than the Italians, and they haven't seen the Phil!"

That's a harsha stereotype-a. Whatsa matter for you?

Aren't there alot more noodles in Asian cuisine?

Wouldn't the stereotype be more fitting there?

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

dunno. it was supposed to be a joke to lighten the mood up a bit.

I got a chuckle out of it! [big Grin] (ps - you have inlaws?!?)

Hey, here's a poem I wrote a couple of years ago:

My Nuts

Do you know about my nuts?

How crunchy and fresh they are?

Sometimes they are salty

And other times they have a candy coating.

These nuts just melt in your mouth

While these need you to bite into.

These nuts are imported

No duties are charged on my nuts

Just the duty to enjoy them.

My nuts are big and bold

You can eat them at the movies

Or in the car

Sometimes it's nice to just

settle back

relax

and dig into my nuts.

Or they can be a quick snack

something to get you by.

Everybody loves the smell of my nuts

When the shell has been opened.

They roll around and sometimes

you have to catch them

before they drop to the floor.

Some people like to throw my nuts

Into their friend's mouths.

and that's ok too

Because I have enough nuts for everybody.

My nuts are delicious.

How ironic.

At least I know how he felt.........maybe

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're going to have no trouble, unless they cancel that show. Then you'll see some trouble," Steve Schmelzle, 22, said. He drove from Ontario, Canada, with his girlfriend, Theresa Whittaker, 23, for their first Grateful Dead show.

"Plus, they've posted the rules all over the Internet. Everybody knows you can't get in without a ticket," Hamilton said.

that quote was taken out of context....

the journalist asked the question:

"what would, if anything, cause a problem here at alpine valley?"

and that was my answer...

yes, and its interesting how people can put the "band" or "lineup" down w/ out seeing a show.

anyone who went to alpine isn't putting them down. its the "other ones" on this page who decided that they aren't good before hearing them. I mean sure, phil still sings, but they aren't THAT bad.

How many times have I put down bands that i haven't seen????? Or at the very least, sit behind my computer pretending i'm important, telling them they can't be called something or other, because of "their" personal feelings....

Just because you have seen X number of dead shows doesn't mean you can decide the bands name like the band is yours or something.

Sure, i've seen lots of PHish shows, but i'm not deciding what they are going to call themselves when Trey leaves. We have the rest of the 'experts' to do that!

LIke i've said before, no matter what they are called, they are going to sound the same.

quote:

I never said they werent (and I am going), but I did say they aint no god-damn Good Ole Grateful Dead. Dont kid yourself people. If you didnt see the Dead, TOO bad. You aint seeing 'em this Fall either. Get over it.

TOO Bad eh! Shows exactly what your tone represents. I'm sure in the next breath (after saying how much more informed you are cause you've been to a dead show) you'd say 90's dead sucked. I mean isn't that also the cool thing to say. I know, i've read it on here. People pretending that they are better than me cause they have been to a show, but then put those shows down.

I don't care if you think TOO will be a good replacement for the dead or not. Who really cares what you think anyways? Your putting a band down even when you haven't been to a tOO show. It shows your real intelligence, obviously pretty limited....which is surprising cause you'd think you'd be a genious, after all, you've seen the dead. That MAKES YOU MUCH BETTER THAN ME, cause i've only seen tOO...

Gotta jump in here with some fact...

Phil and Friends in fact existed well before any TOO stuff...

where's the proof?

Right here...

*THE VERY FIRST*

Phil Lesh And Friends

September 24, 1994

Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley CA

Phil Lesh and Friends (acoustic with Phil Lesh, Jerry Garcia, Bob

Weir and Vince Welnick)

Old Walkin' Blues, Lazy River Road, KC Moan, Duprees Diamond

Blues, Childhood's End, Masterpiece, Attics Of My Life, Cassidy,

Bird Song, Throwin Stones

Listen to it here...

Sure DrH, I have seen it. That isnt what I am talking about here. Its The Other One's, plain and simple.

Hell, I have seen PLQ shows that BLEW the Other One's away.

Alot of shows I saw in the 90's werent up to par, but I have never seen something close to the Dead. The shows that were KILLER dont come close to what I have seen since. Its that simple. There was a connection between audience and performer that is forever lost (in that setting anyways).

I have yet to have experienced ANYTHING close to Jerry whipping up a batch of Black Peter during a TERRIBLE show that made the show worthy in the end. We all connected, and that was it.

They cant call themselves the Dead.........

Dont take my "get the real tour back on the road" so seriously. What I like about that tour, I like. No one else has to and no one else will change my mind. I love the small venues and non-tour rats.

Also, I havent seen this formation of TOO. I may not want PLQ to come back. Who knows?

They just shouldnt call themselves the Grateful Dead.

That's a technicality dude...a one-off charity show....

For the sake of this "debate" I think it's fair to say everyone's referring P&F as the post-Dead incarnation of P&F...ie. 99-> c'mon...

"Hell, I have seen PLQ shows that BLEW the Other One's away."

PL&F haven't even touched any of the 12 TOO shows I've seen....