Jambands.ca

Debate: The Other Ones vs. Grateful Dead

MarcO

Apparently, some surviving members of the Dead want to re-establish the name, while others feel it more appropriate to leave it be and just call themselves The Other Ones (or perhaps some other Dead-related moniker).

What do you think?

For me, the Grateful Dead ENDED on August 9, 1995. Doesn't mean I don't love the rest of the remaining members and appreciate their history of playing together and their desire to keep that tradition alive, but without Jerry it just can't be the Dead, imo. He was THAT important. Crucial, really. All the stuff I've seen and heard since he passed keep proving that to me over and over again.

If it wasn't appropriate to keep the name seven years ago, it's no more appropriate now. I think it is fine to continue to play and reinterpret the back catalogue but just leave that name be.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've 'heard' fans and others mention that, and i've even heard 'some' of the members at alpine valley side stage (drummers)mention it, but i think it would be mostly promotors wanting the name change.

Ticketmaster has sold the tickets as "the other ones", and the ny show has been announced as 'the other ones'.

As for the actually one vs the other. THey can choose whatever THEY want. THEY stood on the stage w/ the fat man, not us. They want to call themselves The Grateful Dead, great. They want to call themsevles The Other Ones, great as well. Either way its the only band that we get to see the 'remaining members of the Grateful Dead' play together. And no matter what they are called, they kick ass the same way.

on a side note: Did the Allmans change their name after front man (and just as important) Duane Allman died?

I'm with MarcO on this one...for me the Grateful Dead ended on that fateful day in August (weird how someone you never met could have such a profound effect on your life). I must admit I haven't even gone to see an Other Ones show. I just can't do it. I have listened to a few Other Ones shows through shns and mp3's, and musically they are fantastic. For me though going to see the Grateful Dead was going to see Jerry. Don't get me wrong...a great Saturday Night or Throwing Stones (or even better Tom Thumb Blues) was a lot of fun, but I paid my money for the fat-man. There is nothing to this day that brings me even close to the (spiritual??) level of listening to Peggy-O or Terrapin or Brokedown Palace (that one can bring tears to my eyes just thinking about it). So whats my point? Well for me personally there is no more Grateful Dead. Period. If the band wants to change it back thats fine. I just think that even if its not ment to be a promotional move it will be looked at as one. They have the "right" to do whatever they want...that doesn't make it OK. All of the sudden I feel like one of those diehard fans I usually make fun of [Eek!]

mike

This is a tricky one, but I really don't think you can have the GD w)out Jer.

Mind you, what you are seeing on stage when TOO plays is essentially, the Dead without Jerry.

I think calling themselves the GD would create more controversy, and be more negative than positive. When they're actually on stage, noone really remembers or cares what they're called anyways....TOO is also cool, in that it is a nod to Jer.

Just TOO it!

I'm just glad Melvin Seals isn't calling his band JGB anymore. That was absurd.

As for the Dead thing, I don't know (or care) what they call themselves, but saying that it ain't the Dead without Jerry is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the other guys. Would they still be the Dead if it had been Bill that died? Yup. Phil? Yup. Bobby? Mickey? Yup, yup. Sorry guys, you weren't important, it was the cute fuzzy frontman.

Well, I'm not sure that hanging up the name "Grateful Dead" belittles any of the remaining members but it does signify that this is a whole new ball game without Jerry, surely the first amongst equals. That's the more respectful approach to their late, truly great, brother, I think.

And yes, I agree, Seals touring with the "JGB" was repulsive. A better name for that line-up would have been "Shameless Career Opportunists Earning Money Off a Dead Man". Or, SCOEMODM, if you like. [Roll Eyes]

i say they change it to:

TBDCBE

The Best Damn Cover Band Ever

[Razz]

either that or Mickey Hart and Friends

personally, i think it'd be distasteful to change it The Grateful Dead. it would definitly piss some people off (and they know it), it could be seen as a commercial ploy, and to top it all off: IT AIN"T THE FUCKING GRATEFUL DEAD! [Eek!][Eek!]

i have to agree with velvet. to say that they can't call themselves the dead is certainly a huge kick in the teeth to the rest of them. i definately think they should call themselves The Grateful Dead because thats who they are! the 4 of them together are not phil & friends! maybe bobby & friends but even that's a stretch! [Wink][Razz]

quote:

If they call themselves the Dead, I am going on a capaign to stop it, AND get the real tour back on the road..........PLQ

Actually, since it is basically Phils band minus Warren and Molo, why not call this one Phil and Friends, and his other band the PLQ?

Wow where would one start with this one. Before I flame away, how many tOO ones shows have you seen with this lineup.

If the answer is none, well, i'm sure you can understand your own stupidity posting something like this.

If the answer is you've seen them, but prefer the PLQ, well, thats your own opinion.

As for calling tOO phil and friends, they are a seven piece band right now, three from PLQ. My math tells me the majority are NOT from PLQ (thankfully), hence calling them Phil and friends wouldn't make sense to me.

Finally, as far as I know, with Haynes going back to his other projects, tOO selling out just about everything they're playing, "the real tour will not be back on the road.........."PLQ"

is gonna be on the sidelines for quite some time.

Go see tOO. They are good.

Ken Kesey quote (from memory; perhaps not entirely accurate):

"The real mistake the Dead made, was when Jerry died, they stopped being the Grateful Dead."

My opinion, I guess I don't think they should begin using the name, 'The Greateful Dead'. If they never changed it in the first place, that's a different story, but to revert back to that name after this long would seem inappropriate. However, it would surely aid in avoiding the constant explanation that goes along with telling people who I'm going to see:

Me: "The Other Ones"

Whoever: "Whaa?"

Me: "Umm, The Grateful Dead minus Jerry."

Whoever: "Oh." (interest lost... [smile] )

Perhaps a name change but not 'The Grateful Dead'. I agree with Dr. H about 'The Other Ones' being a nice nod to JG, but it isn't very appealing and, frankly, I don't like saying it. How about simply 'GD'?

Whatever comments Booche makes and/or made on this topic is correct.

The Allman comparison is not necessarily fair. The Allmans went on to their biggest success with Brothers and Sisters: an album featuring no Duane and virtually no Berry Oakley ( played on only 2 tracks ). The same can't be said of any " grouping " of surviving Garcia-less Dead members. The band's philosophy has always been that everyone connected to the ABB is a brother, from Bill Graham to Marc Quinones. As much as I admire and even worship Duane, Dickie Betts is/was more important to the success of the ABB. This band should never be called The Greg Allman Band. After all, Greg has a mediocre band called " that " already. I have a sinking suspicion that Mickey Hart is behind all this nonsense.

quote:

Whatever comments Booche makes and/or made on this topic is correct.

Aside from my jokes..........eg:

The Grateful Dead as an organization didnt get along too well a couple of years ago, that's why I thought it would be funny to call them Phil and Friends (since, when they play music, they get along). Why would we call them the Grateful Dead if they cant get along?

Actually, that's a pretty convincing argument.

From the Philzone (rumours):

Many are saying Warren's last show was at Red Rocks on 9.1 - don't count on it! He'll be deadicating all his time to Gov't Mule for the time being, but some sources say he'll be back with P&F in 2003. There's already rumors about a possible Spring Tour. Rob Barraco said in a recent radio interview (KBOO Portland, OR) that P&F will be back in the Spring and with new (Robert Hunter collaborated) material from all the phriends no less! Bring it on fellas!!!