Jambands.ca

Antibalas tonight in Ottawa

dave-O

I'm sitting on the fence here. Tix are $20 advance, $25 at the door. It's a band I've been wanting to check out but the price is steep and I'm still hung over from Saturday night.

Any reviews from Hamilton, elsewhere to help my decision?

I've seen em Dave in Providence at a big club and at Berkfest on an outdoor stage. Let me tell you whats up with their shows.....

Very high energy, loads of peeps on stage, good funky music. Thats basically it though, its not going to floor you with odd time signatures or syncopated jams.

They are tight, but the steep ticket price is more a result of the large band numbers. I paid $10 US and thought it was a steal. If you don't have anything else to do, its good times. If nero was playing, I'd be standing in front of the stage with 3 people instead of 12.

Overall an 8/10 experience. If you haven't seen them, it might be a 9 just for the unique stage show.

Sean

Guest Low Roller

Rather thin Sanctuary crowd made it out to Babylon. It was Dave-O, Desolee, and myself. We saw Beamish too, but he only dropped by just for a bit. Anybody else make it out who I don't know?

Babylon was PACKED. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout. I should've known better however since Ninja Tune artists always draw well in Ottawa. And who can blame them. The Ninja Tune label showcases some of the best DJs and bands in the whole trip-hop/groove/afrobeat/neo-jazz genre. Among their ranks you can count Amon Tobin, Bonobo, Coldcut, DJ Food, DJ Vadim, Jaga Jazzist, Funki Porcini, Kid Koala, Mr. Scruff, The Cinematic Orchestra, The Herbaliser, and of course Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra.

This was my first time seeing Antibalas, a 13 piece band, that comes with a high price tag of $20. I'll skip doing a massive review, but I'll cut to the chase and admit that I had fun seeing this band, but they are not a band I probably would go see again. The band can be easily reduced by two if not three players, and it would improve the overall sound of the band by removing some uneccessary layers in their arrangements. The grooves, albeit very tight, were neverchanging and long. There were no rises or falls, just a steady rhythm that the horn section would occasionally try to drown out.

Recommended to see once, but further exploration is left to one's discretion.

Hey LR,

Fair enough review, should just mention that these guys are playing afrobeat true to it's roots. Steady hypnotic rhythm, minus instrumental showmanship but very heavy on lyrical wit and vocal frontage. They're the best at what they do I think, but that doesn't mean I want to see them all the time.

Thanks for the reviewlet; I remember seeing them back in 2002, and my experience/opinion was similar to yours.

Given that I was tired, didn't want to spend the money, and didn't really feel "up" for partying on a Monday night, I'm glad I saved my energies for later festivizing.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

Yeah, don't get me wrong, they were really good. Babylon was perhaps not the best setting for thier musical stylings however. The low ceiling didn't really affect things too much, I'd like to see them at an outdoor festival, or, opening for Spearhead at Barrymore's. Their music is tight, but as I mentioned, the steady grooves became background music after a certain point, as I lost interest in the live show, and just started having conversations.

The band can be easily reduced by two if not three players, and it would improve the overall sound of the band by removing some uneccessary layers in their arrangements. The grooves, albeit very tight, were neverchanging and long. There were no rises or falls, just a steady rhythm that the horn section would occasionally try to drown out.

Hey Roller!

I don't claim to be an afrobeat expert or anything, but i gather that antibalas' large numbers is in keeping with the roots of afrobeat, whereas for example Fela Kuti's band the Africa 70 (!!) included singers, dancers, horns and percussion of all kinds. I know what you mean but its easy to see why they have such a huge line-up.

Guest Low Roller

I'm not really compaining about the many people on stage because I thought that was cool, only the way some of them were being used was completely inefficient.

One guy just played a shekeres gourd the whole show. If he changed it up a bit to some other percussion then I would find him useful, but as it was, he didn't, and therefore his sound started getting old because there is only so much you can do with that gourd. I know that a shekeres is essential for african rhythms, but too much of a good thing can be too much.

Also there were two guitarists when one was enough. I couldn't even hear the second one... I saw his fingers move, but he played pretty much the same notes as the bassist which drowned him out. The other guitar player was adding some really cool tones to the grooves.

But don't let my remarks deter anyone from seeing them. They are a really good band. I just have opinions sometimes...

NothernWish and Roller pretty much nailed this one. No peaks or valleys, just steady unchanging grooves. But damned if those grooves weren't great. First set last night was high energy and I was loving it. Second set wasn't so much and I found myself rather bored.