Jambands.ca

Is JSB's publicist on dope spray?

AdamH

I like the band's music but their publicist has got to go:

"Catalysts of the live music community, The Jimmy Swift Band intermingle tightly composed rock with intense, spacey jamtronica... an orgasm of the senses. When they want to rock, they rock, and when they want to jam, they tear the roof off... The Jimmy Swift Band kicks your ass, plain and simple... watch out for JSB and wear protection when they come to town."

It's kinda funny actually.

I wrote that, but it's not one cohesive sentence. It is pieced together from several different sentences in one piece. Those lines have the ... for a reason, and people don't realize that. It was for my promotional Canadian piece I wrote to intice Americans, but those quotes were taken slightly into a different context to help the band promote themsevles, which is above and beyond my control.

Reprinting Shain's article here for comparison's sake. The differences are subtle and really no different than the liberal quotations you could find in any neswpaper. I still feel a tinge of evil emanating from JSB management:

Our next discovery brings us to the east coast of Canada, and the home for a scene unlike any other I have ever discovered. One of the catalysts of the live music community in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, along with Sloan and Thrush Hermit, is the Jimmy Swift Band. Originally known as P.F. Station and fronted by the fantastic duo of Craig Mercer on guitar and Mike MacDougall on bass, P.F. Station went through nearly 20 band member changes over eight years before finding the puzzle pieces that fit to the tune of keyboardist Aaron Collier and drummer Paul Christian. While P.F. Station focused on aggressive, hook-laden rock 'n' roll, the Jimmy Swift Band intermingle the tightly composed rock with intense, spacey jamtronica. When JSB explode into their epic "Now They Will Know We Were Here," the band can take you on a journey through the uncharted, climaxing 40 minutes later with an orgasm of the senses.

When they want to rock, they rock, and when they want to jam, they tear the roof off. To sum it up as easily as possible, the Jimmy Swift Band kicks your ass, plain and simple. Along with that, they have carved out a great scene throughout the East Coast, which has allowed bands like Grand Theft Bus, Fat Jebus, and Slowcoaster to follow suit. With consistent touring in both Canada and the States planned for 2004, watch out for JSB and wear protection when they come to town. More info is at www.thejimmyswiftband.com

I don't know if we need to do this one to death. It's a typical hatchet job of a decently written piece and it comes off a little weird. I know I'm as bad as everyone else but aren't we all just a little bit obsessed. Aw fuck it Shane is the poopoo publicist.

Thanks Kung.

You folk have to look at the sheer intent of that specific piece, and why I structured it the way I did. It's a 'how to guide' for uneducated (to our scene) Americans, so I tried to showcase and pass off the band's best qualities.

Publicists do this all the time with journalism, and I've grown accustomed to it. The quote is cut up, and that's why my name isn't on the bottom of it.