Jambands.ca

Any advice on writting lyrics...

Fuckholes

Well, like I said in a previous post, I finally finsihed writing my first song in about two years a few months ago. It didnt take that long to write the song, just that long to come up with something I could actually here more then 1 time aday parcticing without getting sick of... Anyway, I have quite a few new tunes and even a wack load of old ones I wanna start working on and instead of taking the same old approach at the lyrics, I thought maybe I could ask here for some creative advice on writting lyrics...

I'd love to help you but that's always been what held me back from writing originals. I've tried again and again but I can't seem to write lyrics that I don't find pretentious or self-absorbed.

Melodies and chords, no problem. Lyrics = problems.

If you're trying to say 'it's a beautiful day and it's great to be alive' don't say 'it's a beautiful day and it's great to be alive'. How about 'it's a beautiful day don't let it slip away' see there you've got some assonance on the 'ay' sound and you know it rhymes.

I have to smoke up if I'm writing lyrics. That's a given.

I also tried another technique for the last song that we wrote. I started writing down quotes in a journal. Things I saw on TV, things my friends said that made me laugh, things that just popped up in my head...

Anyway, I brought the book of quotes to band practice one night, the guys started playing something cool and I picked one line out of the book to work from, smoked a fatty and the song wrote itself!

I think it's different for everyone though. It helps to have a creative bunch of musicians as well, imagination is contagious.

Along with what kung said, you might want to have a rhyming dictionary, and use it when you're stuck on a word, or want to get out of a "rut of thinking": the dictionary will give you a whole bunch of words that rhyme, some of which you probably wouldn't have thought of. Choose one that sounds neat, and write a line to get to it.

You might also try setting up "exercises" to perform: set up various structures of songs (in terms of # of lines, syllables per line, rhyming structure, chorus/verse/bridge arrangement, etc.), and write lyrics to them (even use the same subject against more than one structure); you could also choose structures based on songs you like/know (e.g., Bob Dylan, or The Band). You may not end up with real/usable songs, but you'll develop discipline and expand the forms of song you're able to write with.

Aloha,

Brad

dont be afraid, man. i mean, dont be afraid of what it is you want to say, and how you want to say it. if it's not "normal" or "technically right" as far as song writing goes, who gives a fuck? it's your song, dammit! you do what you like!

let loose, have fun, get weird, and don't care.

Here's a cool trick I've tried a few times:

Write alternate lyrics to a song, a la Weird Al, and then throw away everything about the song (the music, the rhythm, the vocal approach) and just use your new lyrics with different music/melody. I defy anybody to figure out when I've done this and what songs they started out as.

I find sometimes it helps to have a vocal rhythm to start with.

Learning to write lyrics is like learning to play an instrament, you need to practise. Try to write as much as possible. Write about anything. Sometimes I'll try to challenge myself and write a song about a coffee cup or some hobo I saw begging for change. Just write about anything. This will get your brian used to the idea of thinking up clever ways to express a feeling or insight. If you have a specific idea or feeling you wish to express, try to really focus in on what you are trying to say. I find really getting at the root of what you're trying to express will help to bring the words into focus. Also, you have to realize that 80% of what you write will not really be useable, but it's that other 20% that is gold. So, keep writing, try to do it as much as possible and eventually you will start to discover a writing style/method that works for you.

It's simple, listen to the master.

www.avril-lavigne.com

Actually, I agree with this. Seriously. There are two kinds of influences in the world: positive influences ("Hey, I like that, and really want to be like that."), and negative influences ("Man, I really hate that, and never want to be like that."). Examining art you hate can help you figure out what not to do, and eliminate the stuff you hate from the stuff you produce.

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Aloha,

Brad

Hold on I think I'm having an epiphany:

'Every rose has its thorn

just like every NIGHT has its DAWN

just like every COWBOY sings a sad sad SONG'

Then maybe repeat 'every rose has its thorn'.

Now that would be a sweet ass tune!

Examining art you hate can help you figure out what not to do, and eliminate the stuff you hate from the stuff you produce.

Which means that I should listen to

"I am the only one

I am the only one left

Who ever gave a damn about you

I am sorry

I am sorry

I was wrong

I was wrong

I've been wrong for way too long

I am sorry that you're gone"

Nickelback

OUCH!