Jambands.ca

maybe i'm an old, grumpy fucker... *DELETED*

bONES

Oh fuck of too Swifty we all know your feelings about me. This didn't descend into personal attacks (although you could argue it was one from the getgo) until Bones kept asking like a three year old 'but why?' Despite having developed a bit of a rhino hide I don't really relish having to account for my behaviour and motivations publicly. If you don't stick your neck out it never gets chopped off I guess. But you're still a dick.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really gay for lack of a better word bones. So far the only person who explicitly agrees with you is your ex-girlfriend for what that's worth. I'm known for presuming there's a different set of rules for me than anyone else. This has to do in part with my seniority in the Canadian scene and my friendships with band members. Generally my presence, antics and comradery are explicitly if not implicitly condoned. Fuck off already.

ok - i don't want to get into the petty argument going down between the cowboy and king kung, but let's get one thing straight: the only thing i explicitly agreed with from the cowboy's post was that he is an old grumpy fucker. the rest of my post contained my own thoughts as they relate to the topic at hand. i did not type any of that in reference to kung's theatrics - i have had plenty of experience with obnoxious people at enough shows to base my opinion on. the fact that you(kung) refer to me as cowboy's ex-girlfriend and belittle my opinion based on that pisses me right off. it was the cowboy that agreed with my post. regardless of your self-proclaimed seniority in this scene, i too am a member of this community. a little respect if you please.

Agreed freak, didn't mean to disrepect you and so I guess I owe you an apology. Look this is an unpleasant situation to deal with on a Monday. I got out of hand and acted in a somewhat funny somewhat deplorable way. I have to deal with that on my own and being forced to account for my actions, particularly where there is no give and take, doesn't go over well.

as I see it I like the shows we go see because of the fluidity of the events... sometimes things happen spontaneously and they're good, sometimes things happen and you sit back and say "whoops"... comparing sitting on someone's drum seat and pretending to play for a few seconds to grabbing someone's $2000 guitar and jamming is not even in the same ballpark, to bring it over to the guitar world its more like picking up the guitar stand and air guitaring with it...

at an outdoor Wassabi show I was dancing in front of the percussion and circumstances led me to really want to hear the rain bells, though I hoped and hoped it wasn't happening so in a moment of non-thought I reached out (in time) and activated them with my finger, then did it again in a bit... Melissa gave me a smile and Steve the drummer nodded and played off it

my point is I don't always do this, it just spontaneously came about... I've never seen anyone imitate my actions as I don't think it would always be a good thing, but somehow (for reasons still unclear to me) it was... the band and I laughed about it later

at frontier town the first time someone shot fireballs over the crowd it scared the bejesus out of me (in my frame of mind), by the end of the weekend I was dancing with them

all I can say is that sometime or other we all get posessed by the Heady Ghost and are called to step outside the rules of convention... maybe you answer the call maybe you don't but so long as its in good humor and respect I don't think it should be offensive

its part of what makes our scene worth doing

(bubbles are fun and aren't at every show, if you want to protect your gear to that degree then have a stage hand pop over and tell the bubbler that the band requests you stop, guess you could ask everyone in the room to butt out too to protect the gear and the singer's vocal chords)

it was a small fun thing, its over, I hope more spontaneous and harmless situations creap into future shows... I feel bringing up a topic like this I think leads to more of this sort of behavior, to me this topic usually resides in the great unspoken so long as no damage is done and the show goes well

I understand both viewpoints but lean further towards freedom than setting down the law, if it had've been some drunk no one knew I would have felt differently about it... fortunately I know how much Kung loves these bands and respects them so it just didn't make me uncomfortable

at least he doesn't dance like an antelope

if it had've been some drunk no one knew I would have felt differently about it...

not knowing kung i guess that's how I saw it

some drunk fucking around with someone else's gear

not my place to get involved there

sorry to bring down the vibe

Holy crap. What the hell are you simple fools thinking?

So Luke got on Bob's kit and had some fun. Were drums struck? nope.

Would the grumpy fu**er do that? no. does that mean everyone else should follow suit? no. Does that mean people should hop onstage and act like a dork? no. Does this all mean we should start bickering at each other just because we think that we're on moral high ground?? nope. Does this mean i'm a hypocrite? perhaps, but i know that Luke is a fun guy that gets along with musicians and gets extended some liberties that myself and most other people likely wouldn't.

the only way to find out is to try and see where yousit with the musicians.

should you do that. i wouldn't. I remember that one time at the whipping post Dave Lauzon let me try out his old g&l tele. did i act like a fool? did anyone know? nope. would i try to play air guitar with it during setbreak?? i didn't and wouldn't.

The slip show in Montreal was fun and a great vibe for all the Skanks in attendance. I think that you took it a bit too serious cowboy. it's not your place to say it's Bob's.

so all this hooey that you stirred up in Kung is at least in part your fault mr. grumpy. i'm sure you're a fun guy but i think both you and luke are riding on mighty high horses.

luke...you know how you get along with musicians and scenesters. keep it under your old beaten up hat and don't use it as clout. it makes you look like a dick. I know you're a super guy. I don't want to think twice.

Why do we get so involved in these trite discussions?

I know i do because i care about this board and what goes on here. i don't like it when people marginalize the integrity of such a social community. move on.

and countrycowboy - thanks for caring. not to rain down on you.

I don't think you intended for the thread to get out of hand. just remember...if you see a drunk dude playing with gear on setbreak, keep an eye out to see if the same drunk dude is backstage during the set or chilling with the musicians and having a blast afterwards.

I would also like to see this one put to bed. I guess sometimes I feel like I get shit on for straying from between the lines and don't necessarily get props for the contributions I do make. I've got an impact, even a major one, to make on the cultural and musical landscape of Canada whether as an audience member, scenester, writer or promoter. I guess if I didn't clown around I might get some credit for being as serious as a heart attack.