maybe i'm an old, grumpy fucker... *DELETED*

bONES

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No I think it's pretty clear you're a grumpy old fucker. There's a core to your sentiment that's valid but otherwise offbase. The thing that makes our scene so great is the rapport between the band and audience, whether based on kinship or otherwise, the intermingling of the two. It sounds like you like to tape and have an ultra serious experience, cross armed musical appreciation, still others can't contain their exuberance whether tonally or chemically motivated. I think you're attributing too much to discursive thought and not enough to the fact that this music taps people on all sorts of levels and they are bound to express that in ways that you don't implicitly condone.

i think that there's ignorance here kung...

on my part and yours!

i am the opposite of what you just said.

i never tape, and i NEVER stand cross armed and serious!

the entire show i was up dancing (as I always do)...

actually i'm a bit of a spinner ::

i agree with the audience participation, but to a degree

should we all have gone up at some point and sat behind Andrews kit?

where do we draw the line on what is acceptable?

I'm willing to concede that was not a well thought out action. Which is exactly my point it WASN'T A THOUGHT OUT ACTION. I'd even apologize if I pissed anybody off other than you. I would be totally lying if I said I wasn't embarassed by my behaviour, on the other hand it was pretty harmless and a good laugh for most. You're attributing a bit too much agency to this on my part and further you really aren't saying much of substance.

cowboy - I agree, you are a grumpy old fucker, but your points are totally valid. shows involve a delicate balance where you've got the drunk/high obnoxious freaks all over the place and expensive and important sound equipment. i'm into freakin out, but only in a space where i'm relaxed and there's no need to be concerned about fucking with the band or sound guy or tapers or anything else.

going into a show with a positive headspace makes having a good time all around easy. i think it's those who don't consider how they're actions are/could be affecting the overall experience that's no good. be aware of your surroundings and give respect, right

cowboy - I agree, you are a grumpy old fucker, but your points are totally valid. shows involve a delicate balance where you've got the drunk/high obnoxious freaks all over the place and expensive and important sound equipment. i'm into freakin out, but only in a space where i'm relaxed and there's no need to be concerned about fucking with the band or sound guy or tapers or anything else.

going into a show with a positive headspace makes having a good time all around easy. i think it's those who don't consider how they're actions are/could be affecting the overall experience that's no good. be aware of your surroundings and give respect, right

i absolutely agree with everything you just said, including the grumpy old fucker bit

and kung...this kind of stuff has bothered me to some degree long before this board existed!

i'm 35 years old and have been going to shows since around 1983/84

believe me, you aren't the first dandy i've come across

I wasn't there,but I can assume evryone agrees that you don't fuck up the show or the gear.But here is an example of the 'thin line' between it all,Kung is friends with the guys,someone trusted,no equipment was actually fucked with other then perhaps drumsticks,not to many other folks seem to be all worked up about it,it didn't seem to stop or impair the show.So perhaps it was a bit much,there was still no harm done at all and I have trouble seeing how that could have ruined or depreciated the quality of the show or the night in anyway for people,a good laugh or somthing unexpected somtimes adds to it,at least for me.If it had been during The Slip perhaps I could understand more,not that GTB isn't deserving of the same resepct there is a bit of a difference,but within the topic of conversation I don't see how this is as much a deal as its being made out to be.

Just my thoughts on it I guess,as mentioned I wasn't there.

Exactly Esau. I wouldn't try something like that in whatever headspace on the Slip (and on that note as if Andrew's gonna hoof me out of the show for sitting on his drum stool that's just retarded). Still not sure what cowboy's point is other than to shame me or dissuade this sort of behaviour. It takes all types I guess boring-as-shit thirtysomething's with little to contribute and obnoxious-as-shit scenesters with far too much to contribute.

No they didn't care that I was aware of they laughed it off. This is really dumb and I'd prefer to talk about the music. Why don't we get Bones to write us a review of the Bus and the Slip's sets. Oh right that's not your shtick but what is?

Did the guys in GTB care?

good question, but not the deciding factor if it was acceptable behavior (IMO)

i like Nero and the boys in it

one of Chris' basses is really beat up, he knows me, i have friends that will be at the Peterborough show

is it ok for me to pick up his bass and air guitar between their sets?

where i come from...NO, it's not ok!

regardless if someone finds it funny or if Chris is ok with it

my review (for kung)

GTB still don't do it for me live, but i'm glad i gave them a second chance. I did like one of their new tunes though, reminded me of some british ska/punk tune from the 80's

The Slip ...WOW! I was blown away like everyone else in that room. I'm still on a great buzz from it (although these posts of mine may not indicate so)

I think all three of them are brilliant musicians.

Brad's voice and guitar work took me places far beyond that room Thursday, as did Marc's bass playing.

i don't have a long & flowery review.

short and simple it was beautiful & beyond expectations!

I dunno why there is any negative discussion about this. Everyone I saw laughed their arses off and it was incredible harmless fun.

There was no invasive drumming, just a really funny image of him clowning around.

coming from someone who plays in a band Mike, you are ok with someone at your show sitting down and picking up your guitar to goof around?

when you are performing and they are behind you seeking attention?!