Jambands.ca

maybe i'm an old, grumpy fucker... *DELETED*

bONES

DSO did NOT get turned down for CTMF Canada Day long weekend because they've been scheduled to play Grateful Fest in Ohio for months now. Not to downplay CTMF but for $60US you get...

3 nights of DSO

Keller Williams

Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Vassar Clements & John Cowan Band

David Gans

The Recipe

and more...

I really wish the long weekend in the States was the week before or after this year. I'll never forgive myself for missing a Zen Tricksters show!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

well aaron, i heard it from a very reliable source.

either way, i'm looking forward to seeing Zen Tricksters.

do they do any of their own music, or all dead covers?

i remember they did (with boracco) the BEST viola lee blues i've ever heard by any band, including the dead.

to my knowledge any offers to have DSO play in Canada have been turned down by the band.

(ie): last year at Kool Haus

Steve...the Tricksters do lots of original tunes

and do an AWESOME Viola Lee

Jeff has a voice eerily similar to a young Jerry and does Mason's Children, The Eleven, Mountains of the Moon, etc.

I have their latest cd "shaking off the weirdness" if you are interested?!

PM me your address and i'll get a copy out to you!

I got an email from Tom (ZT) just yesterday in regards to the CTMF...they sound pretty stoked! ::

This is really gay for lack of a better word bones. So far the only person who explicitly agrees with you is your ex-girlfriend for what that's worth. I'm known for presuming there's a different set of rules for me than anyone else. This has to do in part with my seniority in the Canadian scene and my friendships with band members. Generally my presence, antics and comradery are explicitly if not implicitly condoned. Fuck off already.

on a side note, is it true DSO got turned down to play July 1st CTMF?

that sucks if its true! i thought maybe you'd know.

Steve

No...and whoever told you this is out of line. I'm pretty sure I know who it is and the shit is going to hit the fan. ::

Why can't people just keep their mouth shut. First off this is simply not true either way. Second, I only spoke to five people about this, two of them are involved. This sort of stuff pisses me off...at least get the facts straight.

well bri, the 'person' who mentioned it to me, i dont see how they got it from you. well, i guess through some word of mouth, but i dont 'think' it came right from the source.

Secondly, the person made no point of saying, "this is a rumor', dont say anything, or anything along those lines, as you do, when you tell me something...

I'm sorry if this infuriated you. i dont think the person meant any harm. i'm sorry for posting this. i didn't mean any harm.

::

You're looking for some consensus that I behaved inappropriately or for someone to feel as strongly about it as you- and you're not getting it. I'm trying to account for why you wouldn't get that support and it's due to the 'unique' nature of my relationships with Canadian musicians. My zeal for life and music is generally appreciated by musicians even if that means crossing the line sometimes- the 'line' that I guess prudes like you establish. So far I can see you adding nothing to this dialogue or scene so excuse my curtness. Thanks for the 'insight' dickwad.

I will answer this but I really gotta be clear that you're trying my patience. I've said it was thoughtless, that I'm embarassed by my actions but that it was also harmless or relatively so. I actually went back and deleted a post that was a personal dig but I'm pretty much ready to go for the throat now. There's no blanket morality that is going to apply to this situation, it's a case by case thing and there's no doubting I'm a 'case'. Having been friends with GTB since their Wooderson days, which is ages ago now, it wasn't taken poorly or at least I don't believe it was. Seriously lighten the fuck up old man.

Seriously did all of the liquid on Dead Cover tour rot your brain? What is your damage here? How many ways do I have to break this down for you? It was a lark, an ill thought out or not at all lark, it wasn't a big fucking deal and it wasn't because of the rapport I have with the band. I can't speak to whether or not it would be okay for someone else. The question is in bad faith, it requires looking to some source of moral authority outside of yourself.

"The crucial concept in his diagnosis is that of self-deception or 'bad faith' (mauvaise foi). Bad faith is the attempt to escape anguish by pretending to ourselves that we are not free. We try to convince ourselves that our attitudes and actions are determined by our character, our situation, our role in life, or anything other than ourselves. Sartre gives two famous examples of bad faith. He pictures a girl sitting with a man who she knows very well would like to seduce her. But when he takes her hand, she tries to avoid the painful necessity of a decision to accept or reject him, by pretending not to notice, leaving her hand in his as if she were not aware of it. She pretends to herself that she is a passive object, a thing, rather than what she really is, a conscious being who is free. The second illustration of the cafe waiter who is doing his job just a little too keenly; he is obviously 'acting the part'. If there is bad faith here, it is that he is trying to identify himself completely with the role of waiter, to pretend that this particular role determines his every action and attitude. Whereas the truth is that he has chosen to take on the job, and is free to give it up at any time. He is not essentially a waiter, for no man is essentially anything."

This has gone WAY too far...

We've all acted like an ass at shows before, what's with the holyier than thou attitude?!?! Kung didn't do it out of disrespect! He said he was embarassed by his actions, what more do you want? Blood?!!? Okay Kung you should write up a big-ass public appology speach and give it on stage at the next Bus show!

I would hazard to say yes this has gone too far. I'd like to see Bones/Scott/Countrycowboy account for some of the poorer decisions he's made in his life in a public forum for everyone to see. The fact that I have even responded to this, thereby giving everyone a laugh or a bit of entertainment, shows my concern. While ideally we don't impose on one another's space it is an ideal that's rarely lived up to. This whole Peace Love Unity Respect and dead covers is about as played out as well The Dead.

well aaron, i heard it from a very reliable source

Not very reliable in this case

I'm sorry if this infuriated you. i dont think the person meant any harm. i'm sorry for posting this. i didn't mean any harm.

::

I'm not mad at you Steve....you don't have to worry about it. My reply was directed at the person who i think might of told you this. It's that they don't even get the facts straight that gets to me.

Since it's now public knowledge that I was looking at DSO for an event, not July 1st CTMF, I'll let you know what the scoop is.

There's a situation where they might be available to play the Labour Day event. It would take a lot to make it happen and at this point we're leaning towards no DSO. Anything is possible and I'm looking at ways to make it happen.

That's it.

kung- I just love how you whine and bitch when someone makes a pesonal attack on you or calls you names. You cry a bit and threaten to leave the board forever. Now here you are making an attack on someone else and you think you're king shit and no one elses opinions matter. All hail the king of the can-jam scene. What a joke![color:"black"]

I feel you are both right here to a certain degree. In most cases, grabbing someone's gear (insert joke here) is not at all appropriate. To be honest, a couple of our boys thought it was a little inappropriate at the time (as Luke pointed out himself) although funny in hindsight. We have known Luke for years and we know what he's up to. Personally...(after the initial shock!)...I thought it was pretty damn hilarious. (Man, the wind from those sticks was right in the pocket and cutting some serious groove Kung!) I could tell by the look in his eyes that he had a great buzz on and was just fucking with us; as we all know he likes to get people's panties in a bunch. Harmless.

However,that being said, common sense would tell you not to do this. You don't want to mess with the music and distract the band from giving the best performance they can deliver.

This conversation has definitely gone on long enough though. Everyone reacts differently to music and substances that they take at shows so this is really pretty subjective.

Do what you do.

Tim,GTB